R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-08-2004, 07:13 AM   #2056

Quote:
Originally posted by DerekB
I thought it and you read my mind...you must be bulimic.
oh great, now i have to find that big book with all the words in it.

Last edited by ritchie; 11-08-2004 at 09:02 AM.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 11:08 AM   #2057
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think we all agree that unsponsored drivers should be recognized in some way. But like Rick I feel that it should remain one class with special recognition of the unsponsored driver.

Some have commented on the (im)possibility for an unsponsored driver to challenge for the top 10 let alone the championship. Well, you are right in the sense that I would expect someone with that level of skill to have been picked up by a sponsor well before an event like the Worlds. But, should that not happen, qualifying for the top 10 is possible.

In the 1996 PRO 10 Euros there was one unsponsored guy that made the A. Granted, not the Worlds, but this guy finished in front of David Spashett, at the time the best driver in Europe. David finished 5th in the 1996 PRO 10 Worlds... Anyway, this unsponsored driver used a total of two sets of tyres and only had two good batteries which he used twice during qualifying! The person in question was yours truly. And no, I certainly don't consider myself a major talent. I am a good driver that did his homework for the 1996 Euros and got the best out of the material he had and out of his own abilities.

Should you still wonder where I am going, the 10 drivers in the A main at this years Worlds are the 10 drivers that were meant to be there. Their batteries were very good, but being a sponsored driver myself trust me when I say that the difference between the sponsored driver's batteries and those you buy in the shops is a lot less than it was in 1996.

Like Rick said, the purpose of the Worlds is to find the best. For this I believe all have to compete in one class.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:16 PM   #2058
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to T-Money86mcss

What is going on with the videos that rctech did? i have been looking forward to those since i saw the camera guys at the track.
T-Money86mcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 12:16 PM   #2059
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by W.E.D.Jim

I could here it now, "who's the best sedan driver in the world?"..reply, "which class?">sigh<.....imo, Jim

I am the Touring car 19turn spec, 7-cell pro-novice amature modified, open tire, spec insert, molded car world champion

I finished 2nd in the Toruing car 5 turn spec, 5 cell pro spec, 1% off sponsorship, spec tire and insert, plate graphite chassis only
mosieur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 12:27 PM   #2060
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Money86mcss
What is going on with the videos that rctech did? i have been looking forward to those since i saw the camera guys at the track.
We still haven't seen the video they did at the July on road nats in Portland yet! Shane supposedly owe our club 2 copies of the DVD for the scaffolding we rented for his video shoot.

Dom
Old 11-08-2004, 01:48 PM   #2061
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

http://www.team-orion.com/media/wc04_istc_a1.wmv

Here is A1 of TC
Old 11-08-2004, 03:38 PM   #2062
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Dom, the ROAR race will be done, although it is not yet, and I can assure you that your club will get more than two copies of it.

Yes the videos are coming. Actually, the videos were originally to be done not by me, but by the two guys I am working with. Well months have passed and they are still not done with the Reedy! Needless to say I am not too happy, but given the demands on my time I can't do anything but try to drive them forward. Supposedly the Reedy will be done and sent to the presses early next week, and the ROAR soon to follow. Work has not begun on the Worlds yet but I am going to try to edit the mains together myself and put them up here.

I will do everything I can to get everything done with respect to the DVDs and online video as quickly as I can.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:27 PM   #2063
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Shane,

Thanks for the update and clarification.... we all know you are a busy man. The forum, magazine and other websites....

thanks,
Dom
Old 11-08-2004, 07:38 PM   #2064
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

tonyv wrote;"Should you still wonder where I am going, the 10 drivers in the A main at this years Worlds are the 10 drivers that were meant to be there. Their batteries were very good, but being a sponsored driver myself trust me when I say that the difference between the sponsored driver's batteries and those you buy in the shops is a lot less than it was in 1996".

I must reply. Without getting into the nasty details, this worlds was no different then every other, in fact it may be worse. 1996 was a whole different time compared to now. Even Pops Losi told me he "never thought he'd see the day when teams sent two, three, or even 5 mechanics for one driver! TeamLosi had "ONLY" Jr.(LOL) there to help the entire team"..........What wind back 9 years ago?.....Not 6 and 7 turn motors?

As far as batteries, I have heard stories(some confirmed) of battery suppliers/manufacturers having "special" batches and offering them to certain teams, but not all.

We spotted several batteries being cycled in the pits with 450+ seconds and 1.191 volts...this likely WAS NOT the best at the event! I haven't seen any in the stores above 435/1.18, considered to be the crem de la crem' "worlds level"..............................Alot of batteries didn't make it thru tech, too heavy.........Same old stuff, most likely those who never dumped had batteries that were questionable. I thought 2000's, I mean, 3000's, I mean 3300's were going to solve all this.......Well ,maybe the 3600's will....If the races were still 4 minutes would they have run 4 and 5 turns?haha...., Jim
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 07:48 PM   #2065

Send a message via AIM to Jpilone

they teched the cars before and after the races, all batteries were previously teched and marked. including being weighed.
Jpilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:35 PM   #2066
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Very true, all cars and batteries were teched. The tech people and all Georges and his Crew did a fantastic job, btw!

to quote Darryl Waltrip after being caught cheating in the daytona 500.
" if you do cheat and don't get caught you look like a hero, If you don't cheat out there you look like a dope, if you do and get caught you like a snake......Put me in the category where I belong!"

It was truly a great race to watch.....And was very well run, but the battery issues will always be there, since everyone wants some kind of advantage.

Handout batteries will be next.........Jim
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 06:32 AM   #2067
Tech Regular

Default Worlds Video

I saw that some one was looking for the video of the Full Throttle Speedway Electric Worlds.
Well I will be producing the Official DVD again, and it will be available from Hobbyshops or my website about late January 2005
Best wishes
Ray Wood
www.raywoodrcvideos.com
Ray Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 06:38 AM   #2068
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by W.E.D.Jim
I must reply. Without getting into the nasty details, this worlds was no different then every other, in fact it may be worse. 1996 was a whole different time compared to now. Even Pops Losi told me he "never thought he'd see the day when teams sent two, three, or even 5 mechanics for one driver! TeamLosi had "ONLY" Jr.(LOL) there to help the entire team"..........What wind back 9 years ago?.....Not 6 and 7 turn motors?

As far as batteries, I have heard stories(some confirmed) of battery suppliers/manufacturers having "special" batches and offering them to certain teams, but not all.

We spotted several batteries being cycled in the pits with 450+ seconds and 1.191 volts...this likely WAS NOT the best at the event! I haven't seen any in the stores above 435/1.18, considered to be the crem de la crem' "worlds level"..............................Alot of batteries didn't make it thru tech, too heavy.........Same old stuff, most likely those who never dumped had batteries that were questionable. I thought 2000's, I mean, 3000's, I mean 3300's were going to solve all this.......Well ,maybe the 3600's will....If the races were still 4 minutes would they have run 4 and 5 turns?haha...., Jim
Indeed, in 1996 there was no Masami with 3 mechanics. Then again already in 1992 it was known that prior to the Worlds Masami had had a full week of practice with mechanics preparing multiple cars so Masami could stay on the rostrum. This is called training and preparation and anybody can do this even unsponsored drivers. You don't to run the expensive stuff when practicing, all you need do is try to go faster than the last time you ran the same batteries/motor.

As to batteries, you are forgetting I was unsponsored myself. My batteries were nowhere near as close to the top batteries at the event as todayīs "shop" batteries are to the Worlds batteries. To put things in perspective, I was running Sanyo 1700 Nicads with a 14 turn motor at 34.5mm. Erik Jonk (1996 Euros Champ) was running a 12 turn at about 37mm. During my fastest run my best laptime was 17.45 and I qualified 6th with 18 laps (required average of 17.66) by being extremely consistent and not dumping on the last lap (geared down!). There were 11 drivers with 18 laps with LRPs Reto Koenig the unlucky 11th. I had 0.09s left on my 17th lap so effectively the difference between 11th and 6th on the grid was 0.09s. Even this Worlds was not that close!

Note that Nicads donīt like being used twice within 36 hours and definitely have both less runtime and power on the second run. I did this the hard way!

During the finals I was lucky enough to get support from Manuel Aguilar (AGY) who provided the batteries I had dreamed about. The difference? A 17.45 best lap became a 16.7 best lap. From experience I can tell you right now that the current Worlds batteries will not give you 7 tenths a lap compared to the team batteries available in the shops.

Iīm not saying it is easy to make the A at the Worlds as an unsponsored driver. All I am saying is that it can be done if you are willing to put the effort in to become the best driver you can be. Spend your money on tyres so you can run the car a lot and only buy a few new batteries and a new motor for the race. That's what I did, and it didnīt cost me a bundle...
Old 11-09-2004, 06:46 AM   #2069
Tech Regular

One more comment. I get the definitive feeling that, like in 1996, people feel that unsponsored drivers cannot win because... they are unsponsored.

With my story I hope to have shown that this is a false assumption. Drivers loose because they didn't do well enough. This is true for both sponsored and unsponsored drivers. So, in any event those that challenge for the A are the best drivers in the field. And there is no reason whatsoever why an unsponsored driver couldn't be part of that. Unless off course all the best drivers at the event are already sponsored any way.

To add to this, when you do attend a Worlds and want to run the "best" batteries and motors, stop by the teams. Most will bring sufficient batteries and motors not only for their sponsored drivers, but for the unsponsored ones as well. Orion for instance brought about 750 packs!
Old 11-09-2004, 06:50 AM   #2070

Send a message via AIM to Jpilone

You guys remember a few years back when Chris Doseck came to a 12th scale race unsponsored and kicked ass??
Jpilone is offline   Reply With Quote