R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-02-2004, 11:39 AM   #1861
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Barry
to be honest with you I put more value on how a car finishes at Cleveland than how it does at the worlds.....for 99.9% of the people out there if you can make the car work on high bite carpet you can make it work outside. Also here in the NJ area no one really runs rubber tires outdoors. Everyone runs Foam outside. But all in all I would tend to agree with the assessments you made on the manufacturers and how they ran.
And that is why we didn't have a good showing at the Worlds.
Foam is very easy to drive and here in the US if it is easy let's do
it. I love racing on rubber it makes you a much better driver and
makes you learn how to setup your car, the Japanise and Euro driver are always running on rubber and they will be faster and that is how it's going to be untill we change the way we think about racing in the US.
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:40 AM   #1862
Tech Fanatic

Shane, I'm finding that out. It took over a year going through the legal red tape, and I fought with city hall before I could even touch the property. The the costs of materials just to build the track let alone open a shop. Hell the city had me hire an acoustical engineer to do a noise impact study.

The other issue was location, that's one of the reasons we are where we are, to do something like thing closer to the city would have broke us before we started.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:40 AM   #1863
Tech Master

an Idea i have had for awhile is to get edison to rent land or donate or what ever. Look at all the property under the high power lines. A nice dirt track an onroad/oval cource and a drag track could fit all in one local. just an idea that iv had for a long time.
Airtronics|Kyosho|
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:47 AM   #1864
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Another thing about the European and Asian drivers have is the fact that they race in the rain and we don't. That will teach you a lot about set up and racing in very low traction conditions.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:25 PM   #1865
Tech Regular

Shane and Scott, I've been looking into this for about 3 years now. I have the perfect spot. Just need the financing. I'm sure you both know about that. I shouldn't have to do a noise impact study since this facility will be electric only to start off. Even has a bunch of fast food places and restaurants within walking distance. By walking distance I'm talking next to or right across the street. My only worry is if there is enough interest or if I could promote enough interest to make it work in 2 years time. Let alone my own job requires me to work nights. Sure my wife would help, but I still need to pay the mortgage you know. If I could just get something together. I have the promotional skills, knowledge, and business sense. To both of you guys, I am rooting for you in your endeavors. I may even pick your brains on occassion to see all of the steps you had to go through. If it's alright that is.
wcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:38 PM   #1866
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I couldnt agree with you more about rubber tires. I just know that if I want to race my car in the north east US (namely PA NJ DE MD etc.) I have to have a car that works on foams. For the past three years I ran Schumacher, and that car is awesome outside on rubber tires. get it on the carpet and your changing this chassis changing this changing that....i love that car but I spend so much time tryin to get up to speed that I never get to spend time getting faster. That is because of my dependcy on foam tires. but then again....im not a worlds driver...in fact im a converted offroad guy.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:53 PM   #1867
Tech Regular

A converted off road guy isn't all bad. At least you know some of the tricks already. I'm a converted off road guy myself. It took some getting used to, but I think I'm gaining. I've not hung up my dirt shoes yet either.
wcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:56 PM   #1868
Super Moderator

I never had to have good batteries before....thats the biggest thing besides styles.....I could get away with running rematched old packs running 2wd mod....now...every other month you better have something fresh ready to go to run stock touring in this area. nothing like being in Trinity's back yard
Old 11-02-2004, 01:34 PM   #1869
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

"Carpet doesn't count "

In America it does. IFMAR always wants asphalt races. Most of the upper half of the US is too cold for outdoor racing 6 months out of the year. Hence we race carpet.

As for foam tires producing less talented drivers, don't all 1/12 cars run on foams?

***At a high level***, rubber is too expensive. There is a reason so many indoor racers choose foams.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 01:49 PM   #1870
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to f1larry

Quote:
Originally posted by robk
"Carpet doesn't count "

In America it does. IFMAR always wants asphalt races. Most of the upper half of the US is too cold for outdoor racing 6 months out of the year. Hence we race carpet.

As for foam tires producing less talented drivers, don't all 1/12 cars run on foams?

***At a high level***, rubber is too expensive. There is a reason so many indoor racers choose foams.
Rob,

at a High level I think foam is just as expensive as rubber. I have seen the quantity of foam tire sets you guys keep in your tool boxes (or in most cases a separate giant box). I think there needs to be some sort of consistant tire rule whether it be foam or rubber. I like the spec tire rule that many tracks are starting to use. I think that as far as talent goes if you can drive well you will adapt to either tire. I think that with either tire you need to know how to set up your car well to all the different tracks.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:02 PM   #1871
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Corey Bernardo

gijoe64- Foam is very easy to drive and here in the US if it is easy let's do it. I love racing on rubber it makes you a much better driver

Honestly dawg how can yo say that! lol. You have honestly never drove sedan mod with foams. Your reaction time has to be so much faster, car reacts that much faster. I agree with you rubber tires, requires a bit more setup knowledge. Even to get a sedan with foams really dialed and not to scrub speed in corners is a challenge!
Old 11-02-2004, 03:17 PM   #1872
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Quote:
Originally posted by gijoe64
And that is why we didn't have a good showing at the Worlds.
Foam is very easy to drive and here in the US if it is easy let's do
it. I love racing on rubber it makes you a much better driver and
makes you learn how to setup your car, the Japanise and Euro driver are always running on rubber and they will be faster and that is how it's going to be untill we change the way we think about racing in the US.
Lets see what happens if we take all the same drivers from the worlds and run mod foam on a say...100x50 indoor ozite track. I can guarantee you without a doubt there would be more US drivers in the A (top 20 or 30, for that matter) than any other country.

IMO, it is a hell of a lot harder to drive a modified sedan fast on a tight indoor track than on a big outdoor track like the worlds are held at. The really good drivers will show their stripes on the rug.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 03:18 PM   #1873

Send a message via AIM to Jpilone

I've driven a TC with foamies on carpet...

It's similar to driving a slot car.... the most traction you will ever experience!!!
Jpilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 03:24 PM   #1874
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to tc3stocker Send a message via Yahoo to tc3stocker

what speed control was surikarn running at the worlds, was it the old MC800C or the new one, he was running the old one in 1/12 and I need to know what he was running in touring
tc3stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 03:27 PM   #1875
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian McGreevy
Lets see what happens if we take all the same drivers from the worlds and run mod foam on a say...100x50 indoor ozite track. I can guarantee you without a doubt there would be more US drivers in the A (top 20 or 30, for that matter) than any other country.

IMO, it is a hell of a lot harder to drive a modified sedan fast on a tight indoor track than on a big outdoor track like the worlds are held at. The really good drivers will show their stripes on the rug.
In Europe we drive indoor on tight tracks all winter. You've seen what Marc can do at the worlds on a large outdoor tarmac track, well consider that he prefers to race indoor carpet tracks...
R1RCR is offline   Reply With Quote