R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-02-2004, 10:46 AM   #1846
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hehe Ray, my comment was not directed at you at all. Just some general thought about racing in the US.

Quote:
Originally posted by howard hudson
well I dont know about the whole country liking PK lot tracks. But I know for a fact that all the southern cali drivers do. had a nice permenent track thats just stopped its racing program for the rest of the year due to lack of racer participation. I think Hara lives in cali now so i guess that explains his win at the Nats
Ummm...I like having fun in parking lots but not racing on them. With the exception of the ROAR Nats, I have spotted Hara in a parking lot a number of times...usually unloading or packing his stuff.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:48 AM   #1847
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Honestly, it really has nothing to do with size or whether it is permanent or parking lot tracks. It just simply down to the layout of the track. In U.S., from 1/12 to even our club's 1/8 track...we are mainly on more or less stop-and-go, 90 and 180 degrees (some call switchbacks) type track, versus European/Asian tracks are mainly with fast sweeping corners.

When I was in HK last time and even with land being scarce and tracks aren't big, they are on a more sweeping corners type track then our stop-and-go tracks here in U.S.

I'll have to say the layout at FT are just more European/Asian style.

Dom
Old 11-02-2004, 10:48 AM   #1848
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to f1larry

Quote:
Originally posted by rtypec
I recently had the opportunity to preview the KO Propo GP DVD that the guys are producing and it contains an interview with Billy Easton. He shares some of his thoughts regarding the international race scene along with what's going on in the US and after visiting Japan, I completely agree with him.

I kind of have to disagree about P-lot racing. Yes, it's an inexpensive way to host a race program and have fun. But what we need are more high quality, professional level "race circuits". Carpet doesn't count
I agree with you on that but the only way to get more professoinal level "race circuits" is if more manufacturers like Tamiya build them. Manufacturers are the only ones that can afford to build and maintain them.

And the only way in the midwest and Northeast can have a permenant asphalt track year round would be if someone built one in a golf dome. otherwise the midwest and northeast drivers have to drive on carpet tracks that are usually smaller than the asphalt and parking lot tracks.

When I win the Lotto I plan on building an asphalt track in the midwest under a golf dome until then it is mostly carpet tracks for me.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:54 AM   #1849
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Howard-Yeah-GReat point-GREAT JOB to all our US drivers. Its not like they didnt do well-and its not like all of us arent proud of them.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:54 AM   #1850

Send a message via AIM to Jpilone

This is why Florida is the perfect place to race year round. This is why region 4 is the second largest region in the country as well

There are numerous permanent tracks all across the state.

Quote:
Originally posted by f1larry
And the only way in the midwest and Northeast can have a permenant asphalt track year round would be if someone built one in a golf dome. otherwise the midwest and northeast drivers have to drive on carpet tracks that are usually smaller than the asphalt and parking lot tracks.

When I win the Lotto I plan on building an asphalt track in the midwest under a golf dome until then it is mostly carpet tracks for me.
Jpilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:59 AM   #1851
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Jarrod-please give me a hollar soon. I want to know about the FSEARA program as it does appear to be extremely well attended.

I'll PM you my numbers.

Thanks,
Ray Huang
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:08 AM   #1852
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by litespeed-dom
Honestly, it really has nothing to do with size or whether it is permanent or parking lot tracks. It just simply down to the layout of the track. In U.S., from 1/12 to even our club's 1/8 track...we are mainly on more or less stop-and-go, 90 and 180 degrees (some call switchbacks) type track, versus European/Asian tracks are mainly with fast sweeping corners.I'll have to say the layout at FT are just more European/Asian style.

Dom

I think this is CERTAINLY one GENERAL reason- the style of tracks. Configurations of parking lot tracks, and especially carpet tracks, typically do not feature the more 'complex' corners or sequences of corners that the Worlds track appeared to possess.

Some of you seem to think I am bagging on the US drivers that did do well, and that simply isn't the case. But compared to the relative 'domination' of US drivers in off road World events...

RC America / XRayUSA / Hudy / Motiv / Avid / Vannen Watches
J.Filipow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:08 AM   #1853
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to slowhand

JOHNBULL:

you're welcome.
I am not sure if Daisuke would get more exposures outside Japan. I mean HPI is a very strong (if not the strongest in Japan) team. They have so many talented drivers and are getting more (watch this ) and more. I hope he does.

Barracuda only had Hideo, Yutaka and Ryota. Hideo's wife was only racing the 1:12.

I think it is not easy to make 'the same type of tracks', tyres etc. etc. But our RC World Championship is only 'one shot' event. If we want to see a more fair WC, perhaps we need all drivers to race at different tracks different countries different continents ... perhaps like an F1. Otherwise, there's always stories 'this guy wins WC because the track/ condition this year suits his style/ car etc. etc.' It's always difficult or almost impossible to judge the performance of any driver/ cars/ team from a single event.

just my .02 cents...
slowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:13 AM   #1854
Tech Regular

Remember this also, year round tracks have to be covered in the US. Also land itself in the US is getting pricey and the taxes you have to pay every year on the land. You have to have a constant income to pay for that. Especially when you take in consideration that as much as we would like it to be super popular, R/C racing isn't either well known of at all, or has a big enough following in every semi-big to big city for some one who builds a track to make enough money to sustain itself monetarily. I know. I have looked into it. When a half acre undeveloped costs you $40,000, you get the point.
We also have more land area to cover. More people are into racing real cars, motorcycles, as well a go karts, than R/C in the US. Correct me if I am wrong, but some countries don't have that luxury due to space, and fuel pricing, as well as other constraints. For them, the next best thing to full size racing is R/C.
My area would be a fine example of that. The local R/C racers here have had very little help when it comes to a full time venue. Simply because of the lack of knowledge or interest in R/C. It's just not a money maker to have a track here. And very few kids have the money or parents willingness to support or to constantly travel to a place that is out of the city just to race what their parents' think are toys. It's the catch 22. Lack of places to race = lack of interest = no way to make the money needed to improve interest=hobby suffers.
wcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:20 AM   #1855
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

I think the track type/layouts is a factor but at a race of this high of talent pool...getting a few breaks or not getting a few breaks does tend to seperate the field. Breaking and DNF's may not allow a driver to show how fast they actually were on that track. I know the driver is responisble for the breaking and the drivers that were error free were the ones towards the front. It also sounded like certain drivers were fast "off the truck" and were able to keep that pace.

You turn around and race again next weekend and I would bet there would be some change in the standings....Congrates to the World champs and all who competed.

Jeff
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:26 AM   #1856
Tech Fanatic

I have built a permanent track in So. Cal. using the best asphalt I could find with what I think is a good lay-out in a 120'x85' area, 5'x30' covered drivers stand, AMB Timing, with a shop on the property. We have just cancelled our race program because we have a hard time getting particapation. The reason particapation is low I am finding out is because the track is located 75 miles from the L.A. area and too far to drive to. We are also in our first year of operation, so we are hoping that in time that drive will get a little easier.

We just hosted the Region 12 1/10 Electric Touring Car Championships and had no real complaints about the facility. So we are here an eager to host races.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:28 AM   #1857

Send a message via AIM to Jpilone

it's all about location man..

look at Full Throttle Speedway..

it's in the heart of central Florida.

Easy access

Lots of cheap hotels

Disney nearby

Plenty of shopping and restaurants
Jpilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:30 AM   #1858
R/C Tech Founder

Scott: Around here, it's really a Catch 22. I've put a lot of time into trying to find property anywhere near the greater San Diego area, with very little luck. Not only are the costs spiraling out of control, but the zoning committees are not keen on the idea of a track, either indoors or out, when it could be used for high-dollar commercial retail or residential space instead.

It ends up driving tracks like yours to the outskirts, but in general, people are spoiled and if there is something closer, they won't drive to a better facility. I have to drive 75 miles just to get to SoCal to even begin to race, and I live in a metropolitan area with over 3 million people, close to ten hobby shops, and no track.

I can only assume that the Los Angeles area is not much different.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:34 AM   #1859
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Erlend
Wich Revolution V2 edition is it that Mark Rheinard is running?
I've never seen it before.........
That is the Japanese V2 Modified label.

The japanese label looks similar to the Hara in appearance as Hara is very popular in Japan.

It basically the same as the US Revolution Modified but a different label.
corvin12xu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:37 AM   #1860
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
Scott: Around here, it's really a Catch 22. I've put a lot of time into trying to find property anywhere near the greater San Diego area, with very little luck. Not only are the costs spiraling out of control, but the zoning committees are not keen on the idea of a track, either indoors or out, when it could be used for high-dollar commercial retail or residential space instead.

It ends up driving tracks like yours to the outskirts, but in general, people are spoiled and if there is something closer, they won't drive to a better facility. I have to drive 75 miles just to get to SoCal to even begin to race, and I live in a metropolitan area with over 3 million people, close to ten hobby shops, and no track.

I can only assume that the Los Angeles area is not much different.
LA area is not much different. damn citys don't like the idea of gatthering people. The price for rent is too damn high to support a track. Look a t socal. they were in a grocery store for a long time, then the owner of the property decided to destroy the place. so socal had to move. where socal is at the rent can not be that cheap.
Airtronics|Kyosho|
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote