R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #91
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

Guys, I ran across this info today because it pertains to my favorite servo:
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=91280

So it's possible my choice in servos doesn't agree with the RS's 3A BEC

What brand and model servo is everyone running, and do you know the max current draw?

My previous servo [recently replaced] was an older, discontinued KO digital with similar speed, but obviously a lot less torque, and had the same issues.

To add to the confusion, I have an identical chassis set up for my brother to come race with me, and he's using the same servo with no issues, but I haven't run it outdoors to see if it has the same issues with the higher speeds on asphalt.

For the time, the external BEC I added has eliminated the glitching I had, but it would be nice to dump the weight.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
Guys, I ran across this info today because it pertains to my favorite servo:
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=91280

So it's possible my choice in servos doesn't agree with the RS's 3A BEC

What brand and model servo is everyone running, and do you know the max current draw?

My previous servo [recently replaced] was an older, discontinued KO digital with similar speed, but obviously a lot less torque, and had the same issues.

To add to the confusion, I have an identical chassis set up for my brother to come race with me, and he's using the same servo with no issues, but I haven't run it outdoors to see if it has the same issues with the higher speeds on asphalt.

For the time, the external BEC I added has eliminated the glitching I had, but it would be nice to dump the weight.
I'm running Futaba 9550's and 9551's.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #93
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've installed the regulator in with my Tekin RS/specktrum and it was running for a while with not glitching or run aways.. then yesterday gave the tekin another run (as I changed ESC's) and it started glitching again after 1 race... I can't believe this issue has come back even with a regulator installed..

I've tested the voltage going to the RX with the regulator on and off and the regulator is working correctly.

I didn't have the red wire removed from the tekin to the RX (as I did in the past).. I gather this must be the issue..I just didn't think it needed to be removed as the 12th scale guys don't remove it.. to the guys that are running the regulator and its no longer glitching do you still have the red wire installed into the RX from the Tekin?

I am that sick of using the tekin with all these problems I have just put it away and gone back to my other ESC.. don't really want another run away car.. when ever I use it I am just waiting for it to run off on me and cant concertrate on actually racing.

Cheers
warnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:43 AM   #94
Tech Elite

Remove the red wire from the RS connector.

You are trying to supply voltage from too different sources and if there is a problem with the RS at all it may try to draw current or something from the receiver.

Are you running a receiver pack or are you running 1/10 TC.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:18 AM   #95
Tech Master

I just had a thought after reading this post. [Which is talking about some 1/12 guys adding a 1s or 2s RX pack in-line with one of the switch leads to boost BEC input voltage when running 1s main power]

Has anyone tried bypassing the RS' switch, or replacing it? I'm wondering to myself now whether a dirty switch would limit input voltage to the internal BEC enough to affect it's output?

Otherwise, has anyone come up with anything more on this subject? For now, an added UBEC has kept me racing outdoors, but I'd really like to drop that added weight and go back to a simpler setup if there's a solution.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:23 AM   #96
Tech Addict

To use my Tekin I had to totally remove the spektrum dsm receiver 3001 or 3500. It did work with the UBEC with the red wire removed.. but I installed a Sanwa FHSS-2 and this totally fixed the problem.. don't even run the cap on the RX and it works perfect. Even when I had the UBEC installed though on the Spektrum I still didn't feel connected to the car.. every now and then it would turn weird or the throttle would bleep on me.. so I got a diff brand of receiver.

I wish I knew what the problem really was as I have so much spektrum stuff it was a pain having to change over.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
I just had a thought after reading this post. [Which is talking about some 1/12 guys adding a 1s or 2s RX pack in-line with one of the switch leads to boost BEC input voltage when running 1s main power]

Has anyone tried bypassing the RS' switch, or replacing it? I'm wondering to myself now whether a dirty switch would limit input voltage to the internal BEC enough to affect it's output?

Otherwise, has anyone come up with anything more on this subject? For now, an added UBEC has kept me racing outdoors, but I'd really like to drop that added weight and go back to a simpler setup if there's a solution.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #97
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mugen10 Send a message via Skype™ to Mugen10

I read most of this thread minus 1 or 2 pages.

Four guys at our outdoor asphalt track is having all types of frequency issues. We are all running the Spektrum system with Tekin esc. Myself is having a problem with no signal at all. No steering and no throttle when I turn on my system. Sometimes it will even cause the steering to lock to the right then no signal. I am running Futaba. The other guys are running M8 radios and they are having glitch problems on the track. The only guy not having a issue is the only person running Futaba 4PK fast system.
We all are running the older module DSM. Will the Pro module help with this strange issue?

Not: the location of the track has alot of metal fence and we are using a aluminum bleachers for a drivers stand. It is for sure not helping but we have to use what we have.
Mugen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #98
Tech Master

Has anyone gotten in contact with Spektrum and/or gotten any meaningful feedback?
Old 08-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #99
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mugen10 Send a message via Skype™ to Mugen10

No I have never tried to contact them about this issue. I will try but my guess is they will say it is my radio.
Mugen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #100
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen10 View Post
I read most of this thread minus 1 or 2 pages.

Four guys at our outdoor asphalt track is having all types of frequency issues. We are all running the Spektrum system with Tekin esc. Myself is having a problem with no signal at all. No steering and no throttle when I turn on my system. Sometimes it will even cause the steering to lock to the right then no signal. I am running Futaba. The other guys are running M8 radios and they are having glitch problems on the track. The only guy not having a issue is the only person running Futaba 4PK fast system.
We all are running the older module DSM. Will the Pro module help with this strange issue?

Not: the location of the track has alot of metal fence and we are using a aluminum bleachers for a drivers stand. It is for sure not helping but we have to use what we have.
Ask the guy with the 4PK if his radio is in "French" mode. If it is in "General" mode ask him to change it to "French" mode and see if this helps. If it does, you are all good until the guys with the M11X show up...Good Luck.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #101
Tech Addict

I contacted both Spektrum and tekin and the consenses from both was to run the RX capacitor from Spektrum.. but this did not help, well did for a heat or 2 then I lost signal again at the end of the straight at full power.... I was running the 3001 pro and 3500 with a pro module and they both had issues..

Just get a different module brand.. u will tear your hair out trying to fix this problem.. no one (spek tek) wants to admit there is a problem or knows what the problem is.. the two modules just don't like to communicate to each other in some cases.. as I know ppl with the same setup I had and they have not had a problem. Even if u put your old FM/AM modules in it will solve ur problem.

Good luck
Old 08-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #102
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I am having issues with my touring car in 17.5. Its almost like it goes into safe mode. I am having the issue with the touring car, and have swapped receivers with no luck. I have even tried the capacitor with no luck. I have no problems with my other cars running tekin speedos in 17.5 and 21.5. I almost believe my speedo may have a problem. Its seems like its taking so much current, that its sending the receiver into safe mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
bmcallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #103
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Ive read most of this thread. I was having similar issues when I converted my truggy to elec. I was running 2 servos(Hitecs 5955, 985) plus a PT. An external bec fixed the problem.
So my question is, i am getting a rs pro directly from tekin. Has this issue been resolved? Or do i need an external bec? I rather not b/c i hate extra wires, but wouldnt mind since my servo can operate on 7.2, so i would just adjust it to 7.2 if im forced to run a external bec.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #104
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyansky View Post
Ive read most of this thread. I was having similar issues when I converted my truggy to elec. I was running 2 servos(Hitecs 5955, 985) plus a PT. An external bec fixed the problem.
So my question is, i am getting a rs pro directly from tekin. Has this issue been resolved? Or do i need an external bec? I rather not b/c i hate extra wires, but wouldnt mind since my servo can operate on 7.2, so i would just adjust it to 7.2 if im forced to run a external bec.
Bump... Anyone?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #105
Tech Master

Some of my electric vehicles have no problem outdoors with tekin esc's, some do, even with the same servos in on 2 identical vehicles [in my case]. It seems to me the age of the RS has some bearing on whether the car has issues or not, as well as temperature. During indoor season, I've had no problems at all, but outdoors one of my TC's needs an external BEC to run glitch free, the other car [with a newer ESC] has no problems outdoors or indoors.

Other guys I race with that have had the same issues with spektrum/Tekin interaction also have fairly "seasoned" RS's. Some of those guys have switched radio brands and cured their issues, I have too many vehicles to view that as a viable option.