R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #46
Tech Elite

This is what i used.
Its nice and slim.
The extra lead for charging a rx battery i cut off and soldered onto the legs for the input.
Messing around at home it was working like a charm, no glitches at all

http://www.nosram.com/en/products/ba...-6v5a/details/

LRP version
http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/vtec-b...-6v5a/details/
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:02 AM   #47
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How is the testing going with the regulator? I'm thinking about doing this as well..
-------------------------------------------------------
Uziman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:32 AM   #48
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

For the people that can replicate the problem on the bench, what happens if you change your brake value on the hotwire? say from 100 to 50?
Old 05-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #49
Tech Elite

the problem doesnt replicate itself with out load from my experience. Its always under load on exit from a slow corner or hairpin as you come on throttle.

So far with the regulater i have not had a single glitch.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #50
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I had my brakes on 75.. still had the problem.. only seems to happen when you really load up the speedie. After a long straight or having to hit the brakes a couple of time in a short period of time..

Regulator has sorted it out..

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
For the people that can replicate the problem on the bench, what happens if you change your brake value on the hotwire? say from 100 to 50?
warnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Another day, another crash!

Was fine in practice and first round then in the second on the second lap it went full throttle as I came off and turned slightly left to hit our Armco barrier head on.

Snapped yet another top deck and the chassis is split in several places, though some of that might have been my huge crash last weekend.

I have ordered a Black Diamond while I sort out what the hell is going on.

That's total of over 200 in car spares alone!

I take it the regulators are basically taking the full 2s voltage and powering the receiver with it?

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #52
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
I take it the regulators are basically taking the full 2s voltage and powering the receiver with it?

Skiddins
No, the regulators take the full 2s voltage and give a stable 6V to the receiver.

In other words, they're doing the same thing the Tekin BEC should be fully capable of doing, but most regulators are rated for at least 5A, where the Tekin BEC is rated for 3A.

3A should be plenty, but since nobody with any data logging gear has been able to see what exactly is going on during these glitches, it's hard to say.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #53
Tech Addict

hey mate I feel your pain. Top decks breaking and split chassis.. I must have spent over $300 alone on just repairs because of this shitty problem not including the new speedies another tekin and one hobbywing I have purchased.. new servos, receivers.... blah blah.. would love to send a bill to someone for it.. as there is a problem some where and it needs to be fixed or admitted by one of the companies.

if you don't wanna run a regulator.. the Hobbywing/SP/Venom I am running with the new firmware is just as fast as the tekin and works with the spektrum fine.. (don't wanna start a flame or brand war here)

Oh hang on unless you had this accident with the regulator installed.. Please don't say you did..

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Who makes a good regulator, apart from Novak, I had problems with theirs?
warnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:39 AM   #54
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnos View Post
hey mate I feel your pain. Top decks breaking and split chassis.. I must have spent over $300 alone on just repairs because of this shitty problem not including the new speedies another tekin and one hobbywing I have purchased.. new servos, receivers.... blah blah.. would love to send a bill to someone for it.. as there is a problem some where and it needs to be fixed or admitted by one of the companies.

if you don't wanna run a regulator.. the Hobbywing/SP/Venom I am running with the new firmware is just as fast as the tekin and works with the spektrum fine.. (don't wanna start a flame or brand war here)

Oh hang on unless you had this accident with the regulator installed.. Please don't say you did..

Cheers
No, I have ordered a reg but haven't used one yet.

Will fit it to my second car and use the BD in my main car....when I get a chassis anyway.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:41 AM   #55
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
No, the regulators take the full 2s voltage and give a stable 6V to the receiver.

In other words, they're doing the same thing the Tekin BEC should be fully capable of doing, but most regulators are rated for at least 5A, where the Tekin BEC is rated for 3A.

3A should be plenty, but since nobody with any data logging gear has been able to see what exactly is going on during these glitches, it's hard to say.

Guys,

To confirm your findings regarding the low voltage issue I have some evidence to support this.

I know a number of people who run the Spectrum/Tekin combo in single cell 12th scale. We have had zero issues all year long with glitching. Keep in mind we all run a reciever pack which supplies the electronics with a steady 6 volts.

Just something to think about.
Jeremy Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #56
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Otis View Post
Guys,

To confirm your findings regarding the low voltage issue I have some evidence to support this.

I know a number of people who run the Spectrum/Tekin combo in single cell 12th scale. We have had zero issues all year long with glitching. Keep in mind we all run a reciever pack which supplies the electronics with a steady 6 volts.

Just something to think about.
+1. I posted earlier in the thread the things I have found, but now my car runs perfectly with a high-quality booster, or a 6v (LiFe, not LiPo) receiver pack into the receiver, or a LiPo (7.4v) pack using a regulator.
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
+1. I posted earlier in the thread the things I have found, but now my car runs perfectly with a high-quality booster, or a 6v (LiFe, not LiPo) receiver pack into the receiver, or a LiPo (7.4v) pack using a regulator.
I normally only run 12th indoors on a 110 by 50 carpet track. I use the RS and the DSM Spektrum stuff in a Helios radio. I run a booster and have the Spektrum Pro module. I've not had any issues indoors with this combo. However this weekend I went racing with this equipment outdoors with a sedan on a 110x 275 ft track (HUGE)

At the end of the straight when I entered the sweeper I was loosing reception frequently. Sometimes the car would read the Spektrum's programed fail safe and go to neutral servo and full brake. Other times it would loose servo function and go to throttle neutral and just smack into the boards at the end of the straight. This was most prevalent in Mod. (I was running a 6.5 with some mild timing/turbo). ESC never showed more than 4 lights and temped about 155 at the hottest and the motor never got hotter than 170. I had a fan on the motor and a spektrum cap in the receiver. Track temp was 135f, air temp about 90f. It got so bad that I missed the 4th qualifyer in mod and 13.5 after only completing a half lap when both cars shut off in the same spot. The end of the straight was also the farthest point away from the stand.

To make sure things went well in the mains I borrowed a friends helios with the KO 2.4 module and a receiver. I'm not sure of the model but it was about the size of a spektrum micro. I had zero problems with this combo. Just thought I would share my experience.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #58
ark
Tech Addict

My Spektrum fix
Attached Thumbnails
Spectrum or Tekin ESC issue-19052010664.jpg  
ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:27 AM   #59
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark View Post
My Spektrum fix
Sorry that's NOT a fix, both myself and my good friend have experienced this issue with FAAST systems, if the BEC drops voltage it doesn't matter what system you are using.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:59 AM   #60
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

so true.. my ko ss system has been doing it lately....
oh well thats in the past now hopefully

AWESOMATIX A800X ★ MUCHMORE ★ R1 WURKS ★
ROCHE RAPIDE F1-16 ★ SANWA M12 ★ SILVERBACK ★
HOBBYWING ★ RCMAKER ★ VOLANTE RC ★
blade072 is offline   Reply With Quote