R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Been having this problem intermittently for a while now.

Yesterday at our first national and then again again today had glitching in every round.

Today's glitches were not as bad as the car behaved as if it had been switched off, ie. the steering stayed slightly to one side where I was coming around a sweeper and I lost power so it ground to a halt. It took longer than the usual 3 secs for the receiver to tune back in. It then did it a couple of laps later and I gave up.
Yesterday was a different story, It applied full power as I came off it and ran at full turbo into some brickwork marking a corner, 90 worth of damage in car spares alone.

Have tried using a cap in the receiver, the original larger spektrum receiver SR3001 as well as the micro version.

I have also had it happen on my wet car but not as often, that also has a Tekin RS Pro.

I will try a larger cap on the ESC and see if that helps.
I'm having trouble understanding why sometimes the faults kill the car dead and sometimes you get a 'runaway'

There is no consistancy which makes it even harder to trace.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk

Last edited by Skiddins; 05-16-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:16 PM   #17
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

I know it has been the case in my situation, but, is everyone that's having this problem using DSM2 Receivers?

More specifically, did I miss anyone's post where this is happening with a "regular" DSM Rx?
Old 05-16-2010, 11:38 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Been having this problem intermittently for a while now.

Yesterday at our first national and then again again today had glitching in every round.

Today's glitches were not as bad as the car behaved as if it had been switched off, ie. the steering stayed slightly to one side where I was coming around a sweeper and I lost power so it ground to a halt. It took longer than the usual 3 secs for the receiver to tune back in. It then did it a couple of laps later and I gave up.
Yesterday was a different story, It applied full power as I came off it and ran at full turbo into some brickwork marking a corner, 90 worth of damage in car spares alone.

Have tried using a cap in the receiver, the original larger spektrum receiver SR3001 as well as the micro version.

I have also had it happen on my wet car but not as often, that also has a Tekin RS Pro.

I will try a larger cap on the ESC and see if that helps.
I'm having trouble understanding why sometimes the faults kill the car dead and sometimes you get a 'runaway'

There is no consistancy which makes it even harder to trace.
Duble check the wires from the speedo to the reciever , i took my car out yesterday and i had n power at all , wiggled wires and nothing!!

came back to the pits pissed off thinking the speedo was fried and it turned out to be a small break in the connector to the reciever.

I run a DX3s and micro reciever on my RS and have had NO glitches or problems with it apart from this
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:58 PM   #19
Tech Elite

This problem crops up mainly when you hard under accelleration or/and load.
Make sure to fit a cap on the reciever and you should be ok.
Had this happen to me in the 1st leg of our regional champs and after fitting a 4700mfd 16v cap it was sorted.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:02 AM   #20
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
This problem crops up mainly when you hard under accelleration or/and load.
Make sure to fit a cap on the reciever and you should be ok.
Had this happen to me in the 1st leg of our regional champs and after fitting a 4700mfd 16v cap it was sorted.
Yes, it does mainly show up under hard acceleration and load [high speed sweeper putting added load on the servo in my case], but a receiver cap did NOT fix my issue. Helped, but did not cure.

Has anyone had this happen with a DSM receiver that didn't end up being a problem with the ESC's servo lead?

I haven't yet tried swapping my DSM2 receiver for a DSM and so far everyone I've seen post their receiver model number is using DSM2.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:43 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm also having runaway problems. I was running a sr3001 and the problem slowly as been getting worse. From a glitch here and there to complete runaways when your not expecting it. I bought a sr3500 and had no problems for allmost 2 meetings then in my last race... bingo, back to square one. Or should i say into the wall.
This seems to be becoming a more common problem not only where i am, but every where else. And if other ESC's are not causing problems then i would have to lean towards the tekin causing the problem.
Or is it the 2.4Ghz airwaves becoming way to dirty and all the phones, wifi, ect causing problems??
-------------------------------------------------------
Uziman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #22
Tech Master

Well... answers my question if you've had the problem pop up on a DSM2 and DSM receiver
Old 05-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #23
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uziman View Post
I'm also having runaway problems. I was running a sr3001 and the problem slowly as been getting worse. From a glitch here and there to complete runaways when your not expecting it. I bought a sr3500 and had no problems for allmost 2 meetings then in my last race... bingo, back to square one. Or should i say into the wall.
This seems to be becoming a more common problem not only where i am, but every where else. And if other ESC's are not causing problems then i would have to lean towards the tekin causing the problem.
Or is it the 2.4Ghz airwaves becoming way to dirty and all the phones, wifi, ect causing problems??
Hi Uziman, i think is the 2.4ghz that is going to' give you problems. Just yestersay i head the same problem as run away with a drastic result, lipo case totaly destroid a motor mount bent and all connectors from the receiver aout from the impact. I runnig on my Tamiya TA05ms a tekin rs with a spektrum sistem on a M11 on Stick. I change a lot of receivers and module and still have a lot of glitching. Before the run away i head a worning with a missing steering by hitting the board and At the last a full trottole with 203 profile down to' end doard, ( picture it). It happened twice.
I'm definatelly convince that At this pointer is the spektrum sistem.
SS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
Yes, it does mainly show up under hard acceleration and load [high speed sweeper putting added load on the servo in my case], but a receiver cap did NOT fix my issue. Helped, but did not cure.

Has anyone had this happen with a DSM receiver that didn't end up being a problem with the ESC's servo lead?

I haven't yet tried swapping my DSM2 receiver for a DSM and so far everyone I've seen post their receiver model number is using DSM2.
What size cap are you using ?
Try a reciever battery strapped in the chassis to check if the problem is still there. If there is a improvement then its a voltage drop causing the hassle, if no difference then i would suspect a bad contact on the plug, possible dirt inside reciever or a faulty steering servo thats straining out of corners undeer load.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uziman View Post
Doubt its the esc but not impossible.
I will most likely suspect voltage drop or a steering servo especially seeing you using a FUT 3001.
Have you tried a reciver cap ?

After going to 203 the reciever cap solved my glitching/runaway issues with my Spektrum.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

My friend and I had the issue with Futaba FAAST, reciever cap did fix that though. I got lucky and my failsafe just made the car drive in slow circles, he didn't get so lucky and nailed the end of the straight.

Another friend of mine killed 2 cars in one day with a M11 and an old spek module, he since changed his module and had 2 incident free days (1 at the same track). I just picked up a Helios with spek pro and seeing these posts is making me weary of trying it.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCbud View Post
Good day!

I now take my rx's apart and clean them. You will be surprised as to how mutch junk gets in them. Also once I had a failing conection of the antenna wire to the board so I resoldered it.

My $0.02 worth.
I agree with this. I had some problems with glitching (nothing as serious in the damage department as reported here, thankfully) and three things have fixed the problem.

1. Take the receiver out of the case (be very careful with the small Pro receiver!) and using a fine soft brush, carefully remove all the gunge and dust that builds up on the circuit board, above and below it. Don't use any liquid cleaners, just brush it all away. If you run additive indoors or outdoors, some of this gunge contains oil in the rubber dust, which will conduct electricity at the very low voltages used in these receivers. I race 12th indoors, and have to do this every other month.
2. Check all your receiver plug connections very carefully. As the Tekin requires you to remove the receiver plug for programming, they are susceptible to frayed wires and bad joints. Replace all connections with new ones, properly crimped (NOT soldered, that just makes the wires more brittle and prone to fine cracks and failure) and put a tape tab on the plug so you never pull or push on the wires, only the tab or the plug housing.
3. Run the aerial as much in the vertical plane as you can.

After doing all these things, I have eliminated glitching.

Lastly, these tips also help in general. Wait at least ten seconds after switching on the Tx before you switch on the Rx. The Tx polls for a free channel, and if it is still doing this when you switch on the Rx, it seems to be able to get 'interference'. Also, wait at least five seconds after the Tekin has chimed, and shows the neutral LED, before touching either of the controls (wheel, trigger, sticks, as appropriate) so that everything has done its 'handshakes' and is ready to go.

I make no claims that this will fix your problem, but it has helped me to get my system to be reliable and consistent. HTH
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #28
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just installed a Tekin RS in my Cyclone 3 weeks ago and so far so good. I am running a Spektrum DX3R Tx with a SR3100 Rx, a JR z9100s servo, 5000 40c LiPo's with Deans connectors, Hacker 17.5, and a AMB. I have the antenna tube strapped flat to the upper chassis then turns 45 deg up over the motor towards the rear shock tower. So far I have not had any noticable hits but I do have regular "cogging" or "hesitations" from the motor for the first few warm up laps then it goes away. It is like the motor isn't sure which way to turn. I have read all the loss of control postings and dread the day it might happen to me.
My local track only has about 10 guys that are not running DSM and we get about 2 DSM hits a day on everything from our top TC drivers to kids with their Spec Slash trucks, so I can't say that the cars with Tekin's are any more prone to hits or running away than anybody else. I have noticed more Spektrums that need to be rebound and Tekins that need to be reset or re-sync'd than anything else....
Just my local 2 cents....
Cyclone Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Did a bit of testing today.. I changed everything in the car including the servo motor two caps on ESC and spetrum cap on the RX.. which is a new 3500 but also have a 3001 pro.. had a 1/12 scale RX battery just for testing.. with the battery I had no glitching at all... but when I went back to just having the RX cap.. I would get glitching at the end of the straight from full throttle to brakes.. (no brakes and no steering).. so there has to be some kind of power problem from the tekin to the spektrum.. where the power for a small amount of time causing the RX to loose all power and leaves the ESC at full throttle..

With a 12th scale battery on the RX and no red wire from the tekin plug.. the problem was totally solved.. but I cant believe this is the only solution where you have to resort to using a 2nd battery to power the RX and servo...
warnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #30
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnos View Post
Did a bit of testing today.. I changed everything in the car including the servo motor two caps on ESC and spetrum cap on the RX.. which is a new 3500 but also have a 3001 pro.. had a 1/12 scale RX battery just for testing.. with the battery I had no glitching at all... but when I went back to just having the RX cap.. I would get glitching at the end of the straight from full throttle to brakes.. (no brakes and no steering).. so there has to be some kind of power problem from the tekin to the spektrum.. where the power for a small amount of time causing the RX to loose all power and leaves the ESC at full throttle..

With a 12th scale battery on the RX and no red wire from the tekin plug.. the problem was totally solved.. but I cant believe this is the only solution where you have to resort to using a 2nd battery to power the RX and servo...
Interesting results and good to know. In the other thread some people were saying how 2 rs's have severely different braking rates, I wonder if something is up with that circuit.