Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random Touring Car Talk

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Default Random Touring Car Talk

Okay...this is where I'll semi-randomly select a topic thats on my mind & we get to discuss it here....Kinda like a debate except no fighting....k? Don't take me personally

Homeground Shiznit (sorry, had to use that work and rub it in some rapper's face)

I've been noticing an abudunance of these "homeground" TC3 chassis lately...People are trying to make an outdated platform into a car thats even more competative against todays cars by making it more balenced right to left.....I have sevral points on why this is basically pissing in the wind...

1. The "updated" TC3

Okay lets get something strait, THAT IS THE NEW TC3....The new shaft driven cars are basically what this "TC4" is going to look like. I can't see anything much more revolutionary come from Associated unless they go saddle pack. That has the narrow chassis, bellcrank steering (yay, you can set the toe on this car) carbon fiber plate chassis and easy access diffs....Instead of taking my semi-biased opinion you can also go with the Yokomo MR4-TC SD.....Or if you want a saddle pack car GO BELT DRIVE AND LIVE WITH IT

2. Why try to make the TC3 better if theres an ALREADY better platform that you can use to make better?

Simple logic.....Why not do you'r saddle pack mods to a newer shaft driven car like the MR-4TC SD, Evo III or the Pro4....It make a car thats already better than the TC3 into an even better car than that....logic people....LOGIC!

I know Associated parts are EVERYWHERE...Thats a pont but still. If you want a better than better than good car why not just do your little mods to a better car...

Okay- Just try and argue that with whatever you can.....Let the shlit hit the fan....I'm such a nerd -Peace, Love, Empathy....Dan "The Badkat"
Old 05-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Tech Addict

Location: If Nissan Motorsport is Nismo, Then Honda Motorsport must be Homo
Default Re: Random Touring Car Talk

Originally posted by The Black Kat
Okay...this is where I'll semi-randomly select a topic thats on my mind & we get to discuss it here....Kinda like a debate except no fighting....k? Don't take me personally

Homeground Shiznit (sorry, had to use that work and rub it in some rapper's face)

I've been noticing an abudunance of these "homeground" TC3 chassis lately...People are trying to make an outdated platform into a car thats even more competative against todays cars by making it more balenced right to left.....I have sevral points on why this is basically pissing in the wind...

1. The "updated" TC3

Okay lets get something strait, THAT IS THE NEW TC3....The new shaft driven cars are basically what this "TC4" is going to look like. I can't see anything much more revolutionary come from Associated unless they go saddle pack. That has the narrow chassis, bellcrank steering (yay, you can set the toe on this car) carbon fiber plate chassis and easy access diffs....Instead of taking my semi-biased opinion you can also go with the Yokomo MR4-TC SD.....Or if you want a saddle pack car GO BELT DRIVE AND LIVE WITH IT

2. Why try to make the TC3 better if theres an ALREADY better platform that you can use to make better?

Simple logic.....Why not do you'r saddle pack mods to a newer shaft driven car like the MR-4TC SD, Evo III or the Pro4....It make a car thats already better than the TC3 into an even better car than that....logic people....LOGIC!

I know Associated parts are EVERYWHERE...Thats a pont but still. If you want a better than better than good car why not just do your little mods to a better car...

Okay- Just try and argue that with whatever you can.....Let the shlit hit the fan....I'm such a nerd -Peace, Love, Empathy....Dan "The Badkat"
Apples and oranges buddy. Both Chassis work. Differnt business rules for both. Tamiya are like Nokia and rely on new products to keep thir sales up and one day achieve world domination. AE are like McDonalds adopt the idea "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Two different business strategies, both could work.

Nice Sig by the way LPU all theway!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2004, 12:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well since we're randomly talking about chassis, here is my 'beef'...

when is an american manufacturer going to step up and make a quality (read non-injection molded) TC again? (insert sarcasm here) yes, i've got a profound appreciation for all the great sla and tunnel molding techniques that are being employed currently, bleh bleh bleh. but, i'd love to see a >US< manufacturer make a high quality kit that is comparible to the pro 4 in layout (what i tried to turn my irs-tc3 into), and has the quality of an xray.

i've been running my fttc3 for close to 2 years now, and while i love it, it's still a toy and quite frankly i'm getting tired of playing with it. i want something new. i prefer to stick with american, so what does that leave me; conversion kit(s) for the tc3 (been there, done that) or xxx-s (if it's obvious my feeling towards molds, you can imagine my thoughts on that option).
Old 05-04-2004, 06:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by gee-dub
well since we're randomly talking about chassis, here is my 'beef'...

when is an american manufacturer going to step up and make a quality (read non-injection molded) TC again? (insert sarcasm here) yes, i've got a profound appreciation for all the great sla and tunnel molding techniques that are being employed currently, bleh bleh bleh. but, i'd love to see a >US< manufacturer make a high quality kit that is comparible to the pro 4 in layout (what i tried to turn my irs-tc3 into), and has the quality of an xray.

i've been running my fttc3 for close to 2 years now, and while i love it, it's still a toy and quite frankly i'm getting tired of playing with it. i want something new. i prefer to stick with american, so what does that leave me; conversion kit(s) for the tc3 (been there, done that) or xxx-s (if it's obvious my feeling towards molds, you can imagine my thoughts on that option).
I think the reason some manufacturers stick to the molded chassis idea is because of the tweaking issue. It seems that one really good smack and most of these double deck graphite chassis cars get at least a little out of whack. Whereas, unless the mold was bad and the chassis is tweaked from the factory, then it'll be pretty tough to tweak one.... or you get a tc3 chassis that tweaks from the heat...

Have any of you guys seen the new Yokomo car? It would appear they have gone BACK to a molded chassis car from their SSG version. Here's masami's car from the pre-worlds: http://www.fseara.org/gallery/album18/DSC_4790
Old 05-04-2004, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

the thing about tweak and companies making tub chassis could be fixed by maybe having a tub CF chassis.

a bit like what hpi brought out for the pro3.

and fibre lyte brought out one for the yoko SD
Old 05-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by raving-monkey
the thing about tweak and companies making tub chassis could be fixed by maybe having a tub CF chassis.

a bit like what hpi brought out for the pro3.

and fibre lyte brought out one for the yoko SD
Agreed. Molder CF chassis would be the answer. It's getting more and more common in real race cars all the time. I'd venture to guess that it isn't quite cost effective yet for R/C application just yet, which is why we haven't seen any except oneoff and custom versions. I'm thinking it'll be the next big thing once it's cost effective.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

I've seen those molded carbon fiber chassis for the MR-4TCSD....Those are sweet

I didn't think pros actually use those fans

I would also like to see an american made CF-plate shaft driven chassis. That way I wouldn't have to plunk down the bills for new wrenches when I get a different car. Its not going to happen for atleast a few years, Associated is always pretty slow at comming out with a new car while Tamiya announces a damn car every six months.....Now their making the Baja King TRF and Clodbuster X-treme.....Pretty soon you'll see the TA-01 X-edition or a TL-01 TRF
Old 05-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Random Touring Car Talk

Originally posted by Kennedy
Apples and oranges buddy. Both Chassis work. Differnt business rules for both. Tamiya are like Nokia and rely on new products to keep thir sales up and one day achieve world domination. AE are like McDonalds adopt the idea "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Two different business strategies, both could work.

Nice Sig by the way LPU all theway!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Except McDonalds uses Hydroized Soybean oil which is slowly killing its comsumers which make up a large population of americans therefore claiming domaination of the small remnents of the population. And Nokia uses less than par materials saving them money.....wait a sec, thats Tamiya....shove those alluminum turnbuckles where they belong....(the 415)

I've been slowly drifting away from LP but I still like them, the new single is probably one of their best

WHICH BRINGS ME TO YET ANOTHER Topic....

New is not always better....I bet I could run faster laps with my dad's 414 MII than I could with a 415
Old 05-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you cant compare a Evo3 to a TC3...it isnt even close...like the other guy said if it isn't broker don't fix it...they should have and updated chassis and thats all
Old 05-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Random Touring Car Talk

[i]
New is not always better....I bet I could run faster laps with my dad's 414 MII than I could with a 415 [/B]
Your so funny Daniel.Whatever car you have in your hand at the time is usually in your opinion the best.You didnt even have an evo3 yet and you assumed it was the best.Do you have a 415 to compare to your dad's 414m2 to prove you would be faster.I know you come on these boards to hear yourself talk,but please refrain from opinions if they cant be backed.415 is a excellent car that replaced the 414m2.Get over it. Btw,how is the TC3 an outdated platform?Still an excellent car.When you prove on the track that its inferior,then we'll talk.See you at Sheldons!
Old 05-04-2004, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

what i think AE could do is.

redeisgn their wishbones for some stronger ones....and maybe a new chassis and upper deck.

and bring out a tc3 to 'tc4' conversion kit.

a bit like the b2 to b3 one.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Well I can run faster laps with my dad's 414 than I can with a MR-4TC....The MR-4TC is basically a tub-chassis 415!

The TC3 is an outdated platform cause I need to be able to set my toe-out properly....Plus, the whole 7 battery slot deal makes the F/R weight balence pretty shotty.....Back = Not enough front bite, Front = No rear bite. I know you have to have a good setup but all the setups I've tried with that TC3 never worked with me. I'd have to end up concentrating driving the car instead of the track to prevent my back end from comming around or hitting a board/firehose. Maybe cause I was running a wannabe Mabuchi or rubber tires but it just doesn't work.....And I'm not saying the Evo III is the only better design....The Yokomo SD & the Pro4 seem to be some good ones too. Hara's been winning races left & right now he has that Pro4 with him. The TC3 is still winning but its days are soon to be numbered IMO...Plus how the hell did Blackstock & Surikarn end up in the B at the pre-worlds....same reason I end up in the b-main....There are simply better cars out there.

And duuuude......I said "I bet I" Meaning I....A 414 would suit my style better than a 415.....New isn't always better but in the case of shaft cars it seems to be.....opposite story in the Tamiya camp

Plus I won't be "talking" as much at Sheldon's...I'll be in the pits trying to get my car to hook up on off-camber turns & 90 degree weather. Not an easy task when I have about an hour and a half to do it & have no way of getting my car on the track more than twice or so a month...I can never get enough practice, might as well trade my Tamiya for a Guitar, something I'd enjoy and could do all the time......I know I'm not gonna do that though

BTW: Hicks, How many people you think will be running 19t...I'm sick of these jury-rigged Johnsons (Monster stocks) & will run it if I get a setup nailed....and you mind PM'ing me a Evo setup that will work out there? Thanks

Last edited by The Black Kat; 05-04-2004 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Just split the battery pack in half with a piece of wire, so there is 3+1+3. Just a thought.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If you go back in the evo3 thread about 6 months Aurra sing and EJ evans posted a dialed setup for Sheldons/Hobbytown type tracks.

As far as Surikarn-was late showing up no practice
Blackstock-He's more a carpet racer.Fast on asphalt-Rediculous carpet!
Besides,the whole shaft belt thing is really what is more efficient.The 415 is really effecient,So is the schumacher MI2.Both are belt and both equally as fast as any shaft even coming out of the whole.My MI2 is just as fast as any other guy running a shaft car in expert stock here where the shaft cars use to rein supreme.Not anymore.The xray is the same also.Very efficient.

As far as 19 turn goes.I feel the expert stock guys here should start to run 19turn instead.Some have issue with 19turn on asphalt being closer to Mod.but on carpet being closer to stock.I also want to run 19turn so I think thats what I will start doing.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

19 Turn????

(Reaches for dyno and motor box...)

Yeah. I'm in ;-)

Art

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.