R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-03-2004, 11:20 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Cheap High Speed motor for bashing ?

I am looking for a recommendation for an inexpensive but fast motor - just to show off for family and friends. I will run stock for racing, but I want something hot for playing around the house. I am running a XXX-S with a Novak Dually (no motor limit). Is it realistic to want 40mph or so on 6 cells?

While on the subject, how bad would it be to run Deans plugs on the motor instead of direct wiring? This would make motor swaps much easier - how much ooomph would the Deans plugs cost? I know they introduce more resistance than straight wires - is it too bad?
Old 05-03-2004, 11:28 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Cheap High Speed motor for bashing ?

Quote:
Originally posted by rctoyguy
I am looking for a recommendation for an inexpensive but fast motor - just to show off for family and friends. I will run stock for racing, but I want something hot for playing around the house. I am running a XXX-S with a Novak Dually (no motor limit). Is it realistic to want 40mph or so on 6 cells?

While on the subject, how bad would it be to run Deans plugs on the motor instead of direct wiring? This would make motor swaps much easier - how much ooomph would the Deans plugs cost? I know they introduce more resistance than straight wires - is it too bad?
I'd get an inexpensive mod motor maybe a speedgems mod motor just for bashing and around the family .. deans plugs are great for wiring ease and dont have that much resistance shown in run time while running or racing .....i think the speed gem motors shouldnt cost that much and if its just for fun youll like it.. if your racing most run monstor stocks and 19t for that added power on the track just make sure they have 19t class at your track.....
Old 05-03-2004, 12:39 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The speedgem sereis is perfect for your application. Not to mention Trinity is now using "D" sereis cans magnets and armatures now. Hand me downs from there hand wound motors. You can get 2 gems for the price of hand wound.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:43 PM   #4
Tech Master

What turn count should I be looking for? Something in a 10-12 turn double?
Old 05-03-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ya since your ESC can handle any mod i would stick with 10-14turns even. Just be shure to gear properly because even a no motor limit eSC will blow if you over gear
Old 05-05-2004, 07:19 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Look at the Peak/ Orion machine wound motors. They will be cheaper. They have some mod. bearing motors under $20.
Chill Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:34 AM   #7
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Since this is for bashing, do you plan to want to maintain the motor at all? Reason I ask is that when you have a very fast motor to show off with, there is always the trade off that the motor will need more maintenance.

For me, if I was heavy into bashing, just letting it all hang out and having fun, but wanted a motor that I didn't have to spend a lot of time working on to keep it at peak performance, you may just want to spend the money and get yourself those new Orion Revolution motors.

They can go a VERY long time before ever needed service, to me thats a perfect basher motor in that sense as a basher isn't going to be spending time working on a motor, he wants to bash and just have fun.

I know the price is high on these motors, so that is a knock definitely, but you do get what you pay for.

As for other motors for bashing, you have lots of good suggestions on here so you should be set if you choose to go that way.

For running connectors on your motor for fast swaps, I did that all the time for awhile, it will work fine.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:39 AM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Actually I'd suggest you seriously look into the orion revolution motors unless you have a lathe. In a standard mod you looking at only a few runs before motor performance drops and you'll need to true the comm and change brushes, from what I've seen of the revolution motor comm/brush wear it is like comparing light and day with the conventional style motors. Spend $60-$80 on a good motor and you'll get long life, alot less wear and tear and better performance. You could just get a 10t, run conservative timing and gearing and you'll still be fast.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:38 AM   #9
Tech Master

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel Lagace
Ya since your ESC can handle any mod i would stick with 10-14turns even. Just be shure to gear properly because even a no motor limit eSC will blow if you over gear

These are great motors especially for basing.. Always do check your gearing before bashing so that the motor will not be force to its limits and will not heat up too much...
Wency_TA03R-PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:48 AM   #10
Tech Master

The speedgem motors should do the trick, I like the idea of a 10t.
wagonman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 01:27 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to aoizip

if you got a lathe and brush serrator. then most 10t or lower
motor will do the job with a proper gearing.

i do agree that Orion Revolution motor do last a long time before
you replace your brush and serrat your brush(my bro has one).

i have the epic 10t single with gearing set to 4.134.
which is very fast for me just to run it up and down the
street.
aoizip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:26 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to thedominator

I had a 12t speedgem in my xxx-s with a 18t pinion and it probably hit around 35. i just cleaned it after i'd run it and use comm sticks and it lasted a pretty long. Its a good motor for the price
thedominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Chill Will
Look at the Peak/ Orion machine wound motors. They will be cheaper. They have some mod. bearing motors under $20.
Yeah, something like this for $16 is a real deal at that price.
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 07:01 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:
Actually, deans plugs are *supposed* to have less resistance than 12 gauge wire of the same leingth. the only downside is having to run a little more wire, but it would be an almost invisable difference.
tc3rookie is offline   Reply With Quote