R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-02-2004, 04:46 PM   #16
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

@ Todd Hodge

Ralf Helbing was racing there and managed qualifying for the B-final Modified. From what I have heard he had fastest car at the straight at 63 km/h. Iīm sorry but I donīt know exactly how much is this in miles. Maybe 39,4 mph if Iīm right.

regarding Marcus Lübke he wasnīt there and it really seems he isnīt racing touringcar at the moment. He concentrates on offroad currently.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 12:14 PM   #17
V12
Tech Elite

again some technical informations

Cars:
about 60-70 percent of all drivers were using TRF415. This was specially in the modified class but some 415īs were used in the stock class also. Not very much EVO3īs, most Tamiya drivers (and some others too) switched for the 415.

Xray cars were the second choice of the drivers maybe 15-20 percent of all cars. Maybe all of them in the stock class.

some Losi XXX-S G+ in both Modified and Stock.

Not very much Pro4 cars but a 3rd place overall in the modified class.

very few TC-3īs. One TC3 in each of the A-Finals Modified and Stock.

Some Corally and Schumacher Mi2īs in the stockclass but not in modified.

Motors and batteries:
very much drivers used Team Orion batteries and motors as most Tamiya drivers are also using Team Orion power. But other drivers outside the Tamiya camp also used Team Orion.

One curious thing in the modified class. Some other drivers also used the Orion V2 endbell with their motors. This could be seen especially with Reedy motors. Faster and much less maintenance needed saying less trueing of commutator.

LRPīs Benni Gröschel also had some very fast Phase 4 motors tuned by LRP RD-man Reto König so he went to 3rd place overall in modified.

Fastest motors went to Team GM-Racingīs Ralf Helbing but it didnīt help them going for National Champion.

Some strong performance from VIOL batteries in stock class. This isnīt the first time for them winning stock championship. Lot of their drivers in A and B-Final stock.

Maybe all batteries were the GP 3300 type.

ESCīs:
Lot of drivers were using the LRP Quantum Competion 1 or 2. Nosram Dominator Evolution also was used but itīs the same as the LRP QC2 in red colour.

GMīs SX12 were used by their teamdrivers in modified and some very fast guys in stock class as the GMīs are known for their punchiness.

Some drivers in both classes were using the CS Rocket Max ESC. This one is maybe a little bigger in dimensions but itīs very easy to setup due to its display.

Marc Rheinard was using again the Hara Twister ESC which is the same as a KO Propo VFS-2000. He was using the Twister the first time at the LRP TC Masters 4 weeks ago.
From what I know Marc Fischer also used a Hara Twister. Maybe this also helped him getting 2nd place overall in modified class.

Bodies:
Most drivers in both classes used the Protoform Mazda 6 there. Seems to be the body to beat at the moment.

Next choice was the Stratus 2.0 and a smaller number of drivers used the Stratus1. Iīm not shure if anybody used an Alfa. At least I didnīt saw one yesterday.

Tires:
Sorex 28 were the handout tires and up to 3 sets could be purchased. Rims and inserts were free of choice but most drivers used JB inserts or something similar.

Traction compound was free of choice but it had to be an odorless one as usual here.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:18 PM   #18
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Lots of interesting information V12 thanks, do you know of any other coverage of the event with images of it?
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 12:43 PM   #19
Tech Rookie

Hallo,

I drove the German Championchip in the Stock class, so i saw the whole race. The power and the speed of Markus Fost and Ralf Helbing was absolutly great. But the problem were the Tamiyas.
The Losi was verry fast but in the corners the speed was much too low. So you saw the 415 in every corner beeing verry fast.
If you looked up to the drivers you saw Markus steering and working verry much (The same at Benny Gröschel drinving a pro4 and Sascha Falter driving an Asso) with the Remote controll. The other guys driving a 415 didn't do much just easy going. This wasn*t nice to look because I think this three guys were next to Mark Rheinhard the best in Germany and they had problems getting in the Final. So i hope the Team Losi(Please Todd Hodge built a much better car than a 415!!!!) and Team Associated will build a new car that is as easy or much easier to drive and much faster than a tamiya because it's verry boring in Germany to see all those Tamiyas.

Greetings from Germany

Felix

--------------------------------------------
Loosy (XXX-S G+) Good car, bad driver!
FeglixG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 12:50 PM   #20
V12
Tech Elite

Iīm sorry but I donīt know of any other coverage of the race. There was no official website and I donīt know of any other website with images currently.

There are pictures at the German forum mentioned above. All pictures there are from different guys visiting the race.

I do know of one guy making lot of pictures there but not showing yet at the forum. Maybe he will show them later at his private website. I will post a link when this will happen.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:54 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

WOW! That's an unbelievable number of Tamiyas I'll have to ask my colleague at my club what his impressions of the 415 were - I know he changed all his bearings (at least the ones without rubber seals), as he gave me the ones he no longer needed
From Felix's description, the 415 was really impressive.....Felix, how did the EVO IIIs compare to the 415s? Did you get the impression that the EVO drivers were also not having to fight so much with the car?

Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:11 PM   #22
V12
Tech Elite

Hi Mark

The problem is I didnīt saw very much EVO3 drivers there. Most of them changed to the 415 lately. I know of Ronald Völker qualifying in 3rd position in modified class using an EVO3. Unfortunately he had some problems in the finals so ended up in 9th position.
I asked some drivers about comparing the 415 and EVO3 and they said the 415 is easier to drive.

Regarding the one guy I think your speaking of Michael Kess. Did he switch to Tamiya blue seal bearings or ceramic bearings? I know he had ceramic bearings with at least one of his previous cars.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:19 PM   #23
Tech Rookie

Hallo,
there weren't much Evo3 s, the only one i saw was ronald völker. He was in the A main. The car was as fast and as easy as the 415, but just as long until the drive-train was broken. The problem of this car was that the diff gears break. So i think the 415 is the better car because no problems with the gears.

Regards Felix
FeglixG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:21 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by V12
Hi Mark

The problem is I didnīt saw very much EVO3 drivers there. Most of them changed to the 415 lately.
Hi V12 - what's your feeling about the 415 - I'm still suffering from one-way problems: if it isn't the gear going kaputt then it's the bevel gear I'm really getting tired of this. As there are quite a few parts common, I was thinking of making the switch to the 415.

Quote:
Regarding the one guy I think your speaking of Michael Kess. Did he switch to Tamiya blue seal bearings or ceramic bearings? I know he had ceramic bearings with at least one of his previous cars.
I did ask him which bearing he was using, but he simply said ones which he prefers, but I got the impression he's using non-Tamiya one. I'll see if I can get more info from him on Friday
Old 05-03-2004, 01:49 PM   #25
V12
Tech Elite

Haha so heīs using ceramic!

I thought you donīt have anymore problems with the onewaygear.
Iīm still using the same gear since using the Square gearbox and Jürgen oneway. I even didnīt use the new longer lightweight shaft since now. Never had a bevel gear breaking.

My feeling about the 415? Looks very good, maybe itīs the best looking car currently. If I had to buy a car for carpetracing now I would go for the 415. But I think the price is way too much especially in compare to a Surikarn. No blue seal bearings, no Ti screws, aluminium turnbuckles instead of the Ti ones this meaning break or bend much more easily than the Ti ones. No, much to expensive here.

Other thing is the 415 looks so good I donīt would like scratching this thing outdoors.

If it works outdoors same way as indoors, who knows. Time will tell. But Iīm still happy with my EVO3 and Iīm waiting for the EVO4 to arrive. No new car still then. I still have an other brandnew EVO3 in the box and enough parts.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:01 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by V12
Haha so heīs using ceramic!
to be confirmed

Quote:
I thought you donīt have anymore problems with the onewaygear.
Unfortunately I still have to replace gears every two weeks or so. Even with the Juergen oneway, my oneway gear got shredded I changed back to the tamiya part and used the alu oneway gear. This makes everything last a bit longer, but that still only means two weeks.

I'm disappointed with the EVO III - it's a fantastic car in every other respect, but never knowing how long my gear is going to hold out is annoying

I'm surprised the 415 doesn't come with more tuning items! Hmm, you're right - this car is too expensive.

Michael Kess wants to sell me his EVO III - maybe if the longer propeller shaft works out then I'd go for it. Another guy at the club has the tech racing three piece shaft and he says he hasn't had a problem with the oneway since installing it - that's another option.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:20 PM   #27
Tech Rookie

Thanks V12 for all the interesting information about TC racing in Germany
AtheenaProjects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 02:21 PM   #28
V12
Tech Elite

Mark
Maybe we should talk about this in the EVO3 thread.
But I never would use this Tech racing shaft. Itīs way to heavy, costs more than itīs worth and it doesnīt help in any way to the onewaygear problem. Infact I know of enough people throwing this thing out of the car again.
Maybe your still using the plastic gearbox. Itīs a good idea changing it for a new one as some of them arenīt very good. Maybe this helps.

But if you donīt feel good with the EVO3 anymore why do you want buying another one?
Old 05-03-2004, 02:33 PM   #29
V12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by AtheenaProjects
Thanks V12 for all the interesting information about TC racing in Germany
Thank you for your comment. If anybody wantīs to know anything special about this race or anything regarding the racing scene in Germany please feel free asking.

Iīm sorry I donīt have pictures but my digicamīs battery stopped working just after a few minutes at this race.
As soon as I will find more pictures anywhere else I will post a message here.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:33 PM   #30
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Just wanted to say thanks for keeping us informed what is happening outside of the US. Gives me a perspective of what is happening around the world in r/c racing. Thanks!

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote