Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Associated 611 Quasar Pro Charger Recalled! >

Associated 611 Quasar Pro Charger Recalled!

Associated 611 Quasar Pro Charger Recalled!

Old 04-30-2004, 05:20 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default Associated 611 Quasar Pro Charger Recalled!

Saw this on associated's site.

I am not sure what model I have, has there always been one model of the Quasar pro?
Old 04-30-2004, 06:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

lol its about time!
Old 04-30-2004, 06:07 PM
JRM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Associated 611 Quasar Pro Charger Recalled!

Originally posted by Cain
has there always been one model of the Quasar pro?
I'm pretty sure they are all #611. I've had mine since last June and have been very happy with it. I'm wondering how they are going to handle the recall? AE might have a real mess on there hands with this as there are tons of them out there. I wish I had a nickel for every Qpro I've seen at the local tracks.

Has anyone heard of any 'critical' incidents with this charger?
Old 04-30-2004, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

I've been having no problems with this charger. What is the recall?
Old 04-30-2004, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have had mine for a year and have had no problems at all.

Annoyances:
-cycling fans(just stay on all the time would be better)
-load beepers

I love the thing if it had motor run in, it would be the best charger for the money
Old 04-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally posted by DOMOisCOOL
What is the recall?
Here's what AE is saying:

"Due to potential safety concerns, Associated Electrics is planning a voluntary recall of the Reedy #611 Quasar Pro Charger to begin on May 10, 2004

Two problems, a defective fuse and some program errors, make the charger unsafe to use, particularly in dry weather and with high capacity NiMH cells. Corrections for this problem have been developed, but until these corrections are applied the charger should not be used. If you have this charger, it is important that you discontinue its use immediately.

Please do not call Associated Electrics or your dealer. Plans for the recall have not been completed, so no one can assist you at this time. By the end of next week we will have toll-free numbers installed for this recall, and full instructions for returning your charger for correction will be posted here.

Associated Electrics, Inc."
Old 04-30-2004, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

If its a safety concern ill send mine in..

I hope the recall is a drop and swap. I dont want to send my unit it and have it take 2-3months to get it back. The other thing i hope they are flexible with shipping to canada. Last time i had a motor replaced by trinity under warranty they shipped UPS and i had to fight with UPS for 2 months. UPS in there great wisdom wanted 38$CND in brokerage fees!!!!
Old 04-30-2004, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by MarkA
Here's what AE is saying:

"Due to potential safety concerns, Associated Electrics is planning a voluntary recall of the Reedy #611 Quasar Pro Charger to begin on May 10, 2004

Two problems, a defective fuse and some program errors, make the charger unsafe to use, particularly in dry weather and with high capacity NiMH cells. Corrections for this problem have been developed, but until these corrections are applied the charger should not be used. If you have this charger, it is important that you discontinue its use immediately.

Please do not call Associated Electrics or your dealer. Plans for the recall have not been completed, so no one can assist you at this time. By the end of next week we will have toll-free numbers installed for this recall, and full instructions for returning your charger for correction will be posted here.

Associated Electrics, Inc."
I have no problems charging my 1.18 GP3300 packs
Old 04-30-2004, 07:03 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Only thing I noticed about this charger is that if there is a lot of load on where you getting your AC power from, it will cause the peaking levels to bounce all over the place ( ie- saying a pack is at 11 Volts! ). I wonder if this has anything to do with it?
Old 04-30-2004, 07:45 PM
Tech Initiate

So is everybody going to stop using theirs unitl they get theirs replaced/fixed??

I haven't heard of anybodies blowing up or anything of that nature...mine seems to work fine (but i guess they all do till they go).

I will keep using mine for now as I just got the damn thing not too long ago. I knew I should have gotten the LRP Comp. Errrrrrrr!!
Old 04-30-2004, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Actually I've seen these chargers go poof just like that. And of course they sent them in and got them repaired. They are Good chargers, but after my Integy went poof the same way.. I haven't trusted them since. I believe Eagle makes them for Reedy and Integy. Or something like that. If this issue is resolved, I'll look back into getting another one.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:56 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

All the ones that I have seen that have issues, seem to go POOF when using a AC power source.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

OK what are they gonna say when I have to send them in this for repair?
Attached Thumbnails Associated 611 Quasar Pro Charger Recalled!-qp1.jpg  
Old 05-01-2004, 03:49 AM
Tech Elite

To tell u the truth i have only ever seen the LRP chargers go poof. One of the guys i race with has been through 3 or 4 of them. I really like both chargers but by far the LRP blows more often.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I had a brand new Reedy Quasar Pro charger go poof on the third battery pack. Sent it to Associated and they simply replaced it with a brand new charger in shrink wrap. I sold this one without ever taking another chance and I'm glad I did.

Eagle racing is the asian company that makes this charger as well as those sold by Integy. They simply relable the chargers.

http://www.eaglemodel.com/en/menu_e.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.