R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-01-2004, 06:24 AM   #16
Tech Adept

I was personally involved with a battery explosion caused in part by a Reedy Quasar pro. The report was that there were many fuses that were out of spec and a few other problems I don't remember. The thing that bothers me is that this was almost 2 months ago, a guy really hurt his hand and my face was 6 inches from the explosion, and they are just now getting around to this.

I know a lot of guys who were selling their chargers right after this. I think that is a little bit of bad form because they are putting unknowing people at risk.
24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 06:33 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eeyan Send a message via Yahoo to eeyan

The recall is actually just to change a fuse inside to a smaller rating so it goes first instead of burning some batteries out there. I believe there were several isolated incidents with a certain battery brand manufacturer(SMC???) wherein some high end batteries burnt or exploded due to overheating (instead the batteries venting, they actually went *kapoof*).

I had my unit done by a factory driver last month (actually I didn't even know about it; he just approached me and said he wanted to take a look at my charger). It was an easy 3 minute job and really didn't change anything. Mine is already almost 3 yrs and still going strong... nothing major to worry about; for all you know it could still be an "isolated" case.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:10 AM   #18
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It can't just be a fuse that needs to be changed. The alert from Reedy said "defective fuse AND programming errors"

And the Quasar Pro definitely has some programming errors...Programming errors like.....oh I don't know.....having your display go haywire if there is the slightest disruption in the AC power flow. Like someone pluging into the same powerstrip as you, or daring to turn on or off a light in your apartment while charging!

The thing that made me pick the Quasar Pro was that I wanted AC/DC and a 20amp discharge. But I have found that my SMC packs were getting WAY too hot when charging using AC. When I switched to DC, the packs were CONSIDERABLY cooler and took more capacity. So one of the key features of the charger is pretty much useless...

Now I have them telling me to stop using my charger immediately, like I had a backup just sitting around. Then I have to wait for them to begin the recall not knowing exactly when I'll get my charger back! I think I will make it through this weekend with it, then I'll start looking elsewhere for a new charger.

Totally disappointing...
Old 05-01-2004, 07:37 AM   #19
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I am not a big tech buff, but if you lower the fuse rating, will we start blowing more fuses instead?

I would rather do this that batteries if they would do one thing, put the fuse in a location you can actually get to instead of deep inside the charger. With it that way, you pop a fuse you definitely have to send it back.

As for the providing new ones, I wonder if they will do that. If they do, I may have to chuck this on ebay.

Anyone know of another AC powered charger that has the features like this one for around the price?
Cain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 07:42 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I've owned the Quasar for some time now and it acts more strange when hooked up to a power supply.

At this point I would rather have Reedy/AE give me credit with the company instead of replacing/repairing my charger....but I know that will never happen
Old 05-01-2004, 07:48 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcguy2477

I have had several problems with my quasar. The first problem i had was that the screen went all wacky. Second, the screen went black because it was overheated. And lastly, it missed the peak on one of my 3300's and melted the srink wrap off of it.

I hope that it doesnt take too long for them to do repairs, as i dont have a backup, and i dont have nearly enough money to buy another charger.
greddy t04b, megasquirt ecu, PlX wideband, 12x28x3 fmic, 50mm hks clone wg, ssqv bov, Safc, ss oil lines, walbro fuel pump, tubo intake manifolds, ssac exhaust manifold, 3" dp, 550cc primary/720cc secondary injectors, etc.
rcguy2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 08:06 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default QUASAR PRO

I must admit, the charger is Great and delivers

BUT!!!

I've gone trough two already!!!! Our LHS (Pitshop), replaced the first one! (Great service) But just today my charger went
"Charger to Hot, Error" And the thing is not even hot!

I am using it in the AC mode, because that's the reason why I got it, its versatilty and you do away with a PS!
Placed it on the fan and tried it to no AVAIL!!!! I love the charger but, I need a reliable one!! Solution!

I got a PULSAR Competition!!

Maybe I can open up my Quasar Pro and Salvage the Power Supply! hehehehehehehe
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 10:07 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I saw one literally lock up and blow apart a set of 3300's in discharge mode. We aren't talking the piffing kind we are talking it BLEW apart looked like fireworks. It spread acid about 5 foot when it exploded. They literally caught fire and burned to a nice charred black color. BTW this was a team AE driver's charger and batteries
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 10:29 AM   #24

lem2, pull back the wrap that covers the clips that hook to the battery, you will more then like find that one of the smaller wires is broke or pulled lose, re solder the connection the error to hot message should go away.

now with that said, i have had the screen go crazy, flase peaks, the charger to hot message, lots of stuff. try this one guys. while charging a battery, turn on your transmitter next to it. little voltage spike there isn't there. i think thats proably part of the problem they want to fix. probably the reason for the false peaks and other some other stuff to. some guy walks by your pit table with his radio on and now you have charger problems. of course all this is just guessing on my part i have no idea and didn't know about the recall until i read this. but go ahead and try the radio thing and let me know if yours does it.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 10:33 AM   #25

speddyphatt,,, i see your a fan of #3, have i got a deal for you, i have a set of championship (7 time winston cup champion with dates) knifes made for and distibuted only thru snap on. interested. pm me. sorry guys i know wrong thread for this
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 08:11 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default ritchie

Quote:
Originally posted by ritchie
lem2, pull back the wrap that covers the clips that hook to the battery, you will more then like find that one of the smaller wires is broke or pulled lose, re solder the connection the error to hot message should go away.
Okay, will check it out on Saturday, I already gave it to our LHS. Many thanks for the tip, will let you know!!
Peace and Happy Racing!
Lem
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 08:36 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

however Reedy resolves this i still believe those of us who own the charger will lose out...

* most likely we will have to ship them to the company....cost out of our pocket.

* resale value might plummit now that the quasar pro's somewhat shaky reputation is now even worse.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:41 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to etzkev

This is actually quite funny (well not for you guys I guess...sorry ) because I just sold my charger wednesday, and all of a sudden, the Recall comes up RIGHT after mine sold. *Sighs in relief*

The GFX is on the way!
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 10:25 PM   #29
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I got that charger too hot message too.

I got it when I was using a 12V battery as a power source and I was charging 8 AA cells at 1 amp. when I did my regular sub-c cells, no problems. Strange?
Cain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 07:27 AM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to etzkev

That happpened to me also just on AA cells.
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote