R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-03-2004, 10:13 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Arcee Newbie
A Sharpie does nothing for lubrication. It simply makes it easier to see the high/low spots. This way it is easier to see when the comm is 100% clean.
My point, but theres people suggesting that he use a sharpie for lube.... Read the above posts.
stumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:24 AM   #17
Tech Rookie

The ink from the marker liquifies with heat and friction, and lubricates the com better than cutting oil itself! I like to use the marker on the armature too, where it contacts the bushings. In fact, I even use a sharpie on all my bearings in my chassis. I get a brand new one, and squeeze the tip untill the black ink falls into the bearings. Then it dries, and my car is lightning fast. It's messy, but a great speed secret.

I have friends that are machinists, and they all have those big Magnum markers in their tool pouches. They go through like 6 a day when they are working on the lathe.

You would think those CNC lathes would have a nice Magnum autofeed holder on them.

Maybe I should do a patent search...?
IncogneatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:36 AM   #18
Tech Apprentice

First, anyone who says the Sharpie lubes is playing with you. Second, if you have that much heat and friction when cutting a comm., you have a major problem!
Arcee Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 12:51 PM   #19
Tech Rookie

What? So my autofeed Magnum holder invention won't take off?

Crap.
IncogneatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:12 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by EddieO
The best I can advise is to only cut ONE way....don't move the bit back and forth over the comm....all it will do is put the wrong type of finish on it and more than likely cut it out of round. Lathe bits are meant to cut in one direction, not two....

Some people will argue this, but watch any of the top motor builders like reedy, dieter or big jim.....and they will all cut in only one direction.....

Other tips including making sure you lathe is cutting the comms round by checking the alignments of the bits all the moving parts of the lathe.....

I use carbide bits and just resharpen them.....diamond bits can cut great, but they are pricey and if they become dull or damaged....they will still give the appearance of a good cut, when in fact its out of round.....

Use a sharpie for lube.....and use a decent oil on the guides of the armature shape to prevent scoring and uneccessary wear on your lathe....

Never take more than .030 off a comm.....small comms start at .300, so you can go to .270.....large comms start at .350, so .320....anything less your playing with fire....get a decent set of calipers to measure with.

And remember, you can ALWAYS cut off more.....but you can never put it back on.

Hope that helps....

Later EddieO
So u move the bit from outside in, Move the bit back a little. Slide it over, and redo it if needed? From outside to inside?
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 03:47 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Yeah, from the tip cutting toward the armature arms. Also, when done, use an Xacto to clean out the grooves of any leftover residue, then use a ball point pen and run it down the groove to take out the sharp edges created that could catch the brushes and make the motor run less smooth.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:44 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to dgullickson Send a message via Yahoo to dgullickson

I like to cut from the outside in. Use a sharpie make the comm black and on the outside edge go in just a bit till you start to cut in and see a shinny spot then start to move it in - the black sharpie will help you with high and low spots. Once you are to the end notice where the dial is back off a hair and go back then put it back to where it was and move just a bit more for the next cut if needed. When done clean out comm segments with an exacto and use a ballpoint pen to push down the edges of comm in the segments. To make sure its round and you are cutting stright I usually measure the comm with some digital calipars and measure the top of comm and the bottom to see if there is a variance. If so adjust your lathe as needed - this can be tricky.
dgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 06:46 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to dgullickson Send a message via Yahoo to dgullickson

Quote:
Originally posted by EddieO
Keep in mind, I am not saying you cannot get it to work that low....I am just saying your playing with fire.....sure would suck to be winning the A main with 20 seconds to go and have a comm plate explode.

Later EddieO

Been there done that wont do it again it sucked losing a Regional title
dgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote