R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   belts: cutting every OTHER tooth??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/39474-belts-cutting-every-other-tooth.html)

FIRE RIDER 04-29-2004 06:23 PM

I was wondering why when i bought my losi used that there were teeth missing on the belt. i never thought to ask, i just thought that it was made that way.

rtypec 04-30-2004 11:13 AM

I heard if you cut every other tooth on the belt, pulleys, spur and pinion gear, you'll be super dialed :lol:

IncogneatO 04-30-2004 12:02 PM

I have heard that each tooth cut off of the pulley = 0.1 secs off of your time.

I am going to try a two tooth layshft pulley and four on the diffs.

I should make the A this weekend.

Masterfaster 04-30-2004 01:33 PM

I've seen my buddy's belt break in stock from shaving every other tooth off the pulley. Just run mod and you don't have to do some of these crazy little things to be fast.

BuddyB 04-30-2004 01:45 PM

At the carpet nats i seen Todd Hodge break a belt, but he said that it was the black belt that he put in over a year ago. And i did do that with yellow belt, but with how hard it was for me to get the black one i didnt chance it.
-Buddy

Cole Trickle 05-01-2004 11:42 AM

Originally posted by IncogneatO
I have heard that each tooth cut off of the pulley = 0.1 secs off of your time.

I am going to try a two tooth layshft pulley and four on the diffs.

I should make the A this weekend.

Try cut off the last four on the diff - then you should be 0,4 sec. faster :D

FlyinGT 05-02-2004 06:48 PM

Wears Out .!!

I've just got back from a big meet .....!!
since i'd cut the tooth off my belt (an old belt)
it quickly started to get chewed up an ripping ....
after bout 5 races of 5 minutes in stock ....!!

so if u are trying this on an old belt be careful ...... there will be a chance it will snap or break......... during a race
it'll last longer on a new belt but haven't tried this yet ..!!

i still do recommend it ........ car felt better with the cut belt .!!
(but that could b just me ):lol: :lol: :lol:

Tek Nickal 05-02-2004 11:35 PM

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
Try cut off the last four on the diff - then you should be 0,4 sec. faster :D
Cut them all off, you'll be like 10 min. ahead. :lol:

xray racer 05-03-2004 12:12 AM

hey everyone, thanx for your responses ,..... and please keep em coming with new findings and comments.

another question though.... what will give me a greater benefit.... cutting every second tooth off the belts, or cutting every second tooth off the diff pulleys? or even leaving only say 4 teeth on the pulleys

let me know as im about to order some things in and was wondering whether to get a belt or diff pulleys

thanx

robbie

meat head 05-03-2004 12:21 AM

i cut every other tooth off my belt and i did not see that big of a deffents and when i run mod it skips :(

FIRE RIDER 05-04-2004 05:49 PM

tighten the belt up if it skips. i had my brushless in and it skipped so i tightened it up and it hasnt skipped since. i have a losi so i dont know about tightining up belts on outher cars.

Tek Nickal 05-04-2004 05:57 PM

I find that running a belt that goes to the front wheels loose, really helps the car feel smoother.

=MisFitz= NuKe 05-04-2004 06:38 PM

Originally posted by FIRE RIDER
tighten the belt up if it skips. i had my brushless in and it skipped so i tightened it up and it hasnt skipped since. i have a losi so i dont know about tightining up belts on outher cars.
well, tightening the belt, makes it less free, more drag, which is what you people are trying to be rid of with cutting teeth...DRAG, so if you have to tighten the belt to keep it from skipping, you might as well go play with some Tonka trucks

Neil Rabara 05-04-2004 07:13 PM

I don't recommend cutting the Xray belts at all. Modifying the front pulley is really all you need to do. It does decrease drag and frees up the drive train, and an added benefit is a quieter car.

team_tamiya 05-05-2004 12:25 AM

How far into the tooth should i cut. Has anyone done it with a TA04, found any diff.