R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-03-2010, 01:31 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

paul are you talking about the rs which is rated to 5.5turn or the rs pro which is the mod version
Old 05-03-2010, 01:49 AM   #17
Tech Master

Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna Racing View Post
paul are you talking about the rs which is rated to 5.5turn or the rs pro which is the mod version
No even the Pro can't handle a 4.5, don't believe the numbers on the box. Some Tekin team drivers had to run the RX8 at last years Reedy race in mod, others had to install fans blowing at the solder posts but this was still marginal. How many times have you seen a RS Pro running mod??

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #18
Tech Rookie

Most people recommend me Tekin. But Paul say otherwise. I'm confused
dc_xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #19
Tech Elite

For me, I recommend LRP SXX TC Spec or Nosram Pearl (both are the same). This is what most of the Mod guy use. I m using 1 too. I do have Tekin as well but I use it for stock class (11.5T) only, with firmware v203 it is crazy fast.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #20
Tech Rookie

Then, Tekin is not good for Mod (4.5 in my case)?
Old 05-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #21
Tech Rookie

As I read that Tekin was the best for Stock.But there is not much information of MOD
I'm still hesitating between Tekin and Xerun 120 (the latter for quality/price)
What motor you recommend me? Speed Passion, Novak Ballistic, Tekin...
Old 05-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_xray View Post
As I read that Tekin was the best for Stock.But there is not much information of MOD
I'm still hesitating between Tekin and Xerun 120 (the latter for quality/price)
What motor you recommend me? Speed Passion, Novak Ballistic, Tekin...
I have great experience with SP motors from their v2.0 and the latest v3.0, from 3.5-4.5T, they run very smooth and the temp is lower than my LRP X12 motor 4.0T, somehow the x12 motors like hot temp and the power delivery is not as smooth as i like, however they are as fast as or maybe faster than the SP. I also heard the latest X12 Octa wind runs cooler than the previous x12 which I have but I have never try it yet.

For ESC, I used Xerun 120 before, for mod just use firmware 323 or 205, but right now people are crazy using it for stock as well with the latest firmware 422. Having experience using both Xerun 120 and LRP SXX TC Spec, I will still recommend you the LRP for MOD class races, somehow the LRP has the edge for top speed compare to the XeRUN, that is if your intention is only to race MOD class.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #23
Tech Initiate

All these people on here that are saying Tekin RS Pro can't run 4.5 aren't telling the truth or they've not checked Tekins website. Go to driver set ups and you'll see Moberly's 4.5 set up. It's labelled 6.5 but is actually 4.5 on his set up sheet. I tried his set up at the weekend with 4.5 on a huge track and the speedo was fine and extremely fast. A bit different to my 10.5 set up as it didn't feel as aggressive but like i say extremely fast and reliable.
Scotty
Old 05-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #24
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

the rs cant handle a 4.5 the pro does,that may be the confusion
Old 05-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #25
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

msxmre, thanks for catching that. I'll have the web guys fix it.

The RS Pro can handle down to a 2.5 when setup properly. Jason Moberly's 4.5 setup is wicked fast and was tested at Speedworld Raceway which is where the Reedy Race of Champions was hosted last year. The track has a 170ft straight away.

Thermal issues when running mod are often due to improper speedo setup. IF you plan on running low turn mods we do suggest running a 2nd power cap (tt3520). If needed you can also run a fan blowing at the solder posts to keep temps down as well.

With the new V203 software you can run sensored only setups in mod as long as you choose the right start and end rpm's. This is CRITICAL!!

There are quite a few good systems out right now. But none of them can offer our size, our speed and our support. The software updates alone mean that once you've got the RS or RS Pro, you will always have the "latest esc" at all times, for free.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #26
Tech Elite

I have been using Tekin RS Pro, Speedpassion GT 2.0 and a Hobbywing 120aSD in mod on a Speedpassion 4.0, 4.5 for the mod class as well as a 2.5 for parking lot drags. Between them the SP/HW is much more reliable and runs consistantly cooler than the RS Pro. all my escs and motors have fans as well.
While they can run low turn mods the ease of use of the SP/HW is also a big plus.
So long as you dont go Blue, Red. Orange and black you are ok as i have seen failures and melt downs at most events i attended.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
No even the Pro can't handle a 4.5, don't believe the numbers on the box. Some Tekin team drivers had to run the RX8 at last years Reedy race in mod, others had to install fans blowing at the solder posts but this was still marginal. How many times have you seen a RS Pro running mod??
Paul have you tried the RS pro for mod ??? We know that you have tried other esc but have you tried the tekin

And team wave have tried to copy tekin software without success
Old 05-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_xray View Post
Most people recommend me Tekin. But Paul say otherwise. I'm confused
sometimes on this forum you need to read through the lines but if tekin say it can be done, and it has and is done, you best belive it as there service and support is next to none

Tekin recommend most Mod drivers to use Dual mode, and Randy has said you need to approach sensored mode with care but it can be done with care and understanding.

I personal have both the rs and rs pro running 17.5 and 10.5 which is the best money i have spent in Rc

I have had my Rs over 18 mouths now and never had a issue and have probably setup over 60 of them in that time most of which were at titc 10 and none of which have had any issues other than been to quick
Old 05-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #29
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
Hobbywing Xerun 120SD will run it perfectly fine and wont put a dent in your pocket like some other makes. Best value for performance and money esc available and is capable of running down to a 2.5.
Consistant performance with a nice smooth feel.
would have to agree with razzor if you need a good system at a great price hobbywings xerun 120 is for you and now with ist new turbo softwear you are sure to leave the rest way behind
notatoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #30
Tech Rookie

Thanks all. Tekin think it's a great ESC.
But it is a difficult decision. Because the price difference is almost double between Tekin and Xerun.
On the other hand I think the motor will choose Speed Passion V3 4.5R