Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Brushless Companies >

Brushless Companies

Brushless Companies

Old 04-28-2004, 06:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Brushless Companies

Hello,

I know that Novak is what everyone screams about and I'm sure there is a reason for it, but has anyone heard of Hacker Motors? Looking at their website it looks like they have some nice stuff. Their top of the line is supposed to do 40+mph using 12 cells. Has anyone heard anything about this company. Are they reliable, well built... stuff like that? I am going to buy the Novak system but if this is quality stuff, then I would say that they might be a smidge faster than Novaks. Anyone know for sure?
Old 04-28-2004, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

yes hacker is definately in town when it comes to racing!

infact the hacker c40 series with the comp esc (there is a sport and a comp version) and a 7T motor is ALOT FASTER than the novaks. in sydney australia the c40 hacker 6T or 7T is always in the A finals with high end mod motors. the track i am talking about has frequently the better/best sydney racers attending.

the hacker c40 6T/and7T slayed the novak series brushless motors months ago.

the kontronic series brushless is also very quick! VERY! only problem is the kontronics motorcan looks like a can of catfood without the wrapping. the kontronics esc is smaller than the hacker.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default (evil grin) so i was wondering... :-)

Yeah I'm beginning to get that impression myself....

So does anyone know if it's possible to stick the motor designed to go in the E-maxx, into a 1/10 touring car... ahhh... say a TC3 for example? I'm not sure how much bigger that motor is, but is it possible to mount? Can you imagine having that thing in a touring car. Probably would just spin the tires when full throttled.

Maybe its just me, but that sounds really really cool.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:41 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

E-Maxx uses a "550" size motor, they are about 10mm longer can than a 540.

If your car has no clearance problems to accomodate another 10mm at the endbell then sure!!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hacker is a good system. One of my racing buddies has that and a Novak.

The Novak vibrated too much, which seems to be a flaw in the design, he did send it in and it was ok. My 19T sedan setup could run beat his Novak sedan setup.

With a Hacker sedan setup I had to run a 9 or 10 turn setup just to keep up with him, both tests were done on carpet.

The most fun we had with the hacker was runing it in his Assoc truck. In grass it was scary fast (at least 30mph) and could easily pull wheel stands if you ripped the throttle. Even had great runtime.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hacker is better than the Novak. The hacker is still surprisingly smooth. the hacker lights em up really easy, maybe thats why people dont think they are very smooth
Old 04-29-2004, 03:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Brushless set-up

Hacker is good, but Kontronic is better. This one is rated between a very good 7-8 turn brushed motor.
Attached Thumbnails Brushless Companies-twist47.jpg  
Old 04-29-2004, 05:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default so what is that...

Hey thanks dan, but what motor is that from kontronics, so i can start pricing one?

Also does the ESC for it have a reverse function? any kind of programmability?

Do you have happen to know what the fastest version they make equals in terms of turns.... or is the one you've shown the fastest?

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2004, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Schulze and LMT is also other companies that make brushless motor.
IMHO, hackerz brushless really kiss ass. including GP ass.
No joke
Old 05-23-2004, 06:46 AM
Tech Initiate

I've seen c-40 hackers 7T (s) on the track and the are really fast but way too expensive for me to buy it right now, $259.00 (esc) and $169.00 (motor) = $428.00 vs. novak wich is more price friendly $225.00 to $250.00 street price for a complete system new in box.

I'd like to know if the ss5800 is legal under R.O.A.R. rules or regulations. thanks.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by A-Ko

The most fun we had with the hacker was runing it in his Assoc truck. In grass it was scary fast (at least 30mph) and could easily pull wheel stands if you ripped the throttle. Even had great runtime.
what was it? T3/T4?

im thinking of putting my C40 system in my MFE. I just dont want to go through the trouble of extending the wires if its not going to work very well
Old 05-25-2004, 08:24 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I think one of these companies also has a lifetime replacement on the system if it fails. I remember seeing that on an online site once. Not sure which.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:50 AM
Tech Regular

Default What about

Has anyone got experience with Aveox brushless systems. I checked out their web site and they look good. Just want some feed back from someone who has used one not someone whos friend has a mate who spoke to a guy that used one once.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The Hacker setup was in a T3. It is actually a Lehner basic 4200 motor with a Hacker Car Sport Controller. The C40-10s would be a similiar motor in terms of RPM. I ran a 90 spur with a 18 to 20 pinion. The gear box ratio is 2.4:1 just like the MFE XXX-T.

I also have an Aveox RC7 and L160 Controller. This is a very powerful system with tons of torque. My original motor had trouble with the output shaft breaking, but one of the guys here at work helped me fix it by press fitting a standard motor shaft into the remaining piece of the aveox shaft. Haven't had trouble since. The controller is very airplane like. Shrink wrap and a weird feel to the power curve. If you use about 15 to 20% of positive exponential it feels good. The motor is slightly oversized and will not fit in some cars where motor diameter is super criticle.

I don't know of any company that offers a full replacement policy. novak seems to have a descent policy, but their motor is pretty weak.

I don't know of any motors that are currently ROAR legal. There will have to be a new class for brushless. I think there is something posted on Novak's site about an exibition class at all major races, but you would have to go there to find out for sure.

Last edited by kufman; 05-26-2004 at 10:36 AM.