R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default tweak ..... with 4 mini scales

is it possible to check tweak on a car with 4 mini digital scales?

im trying to get out of buying a tweak station

is there a good article that explains tweak?
captain stacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

you only need two to make a tweak station, because you want to keep two wheels stationary.

you would want 4 scales if you want to check all 4 corners amount of weight at a rest. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=15947047

i purchased two of these and they work really well! the thing i used to keep the other end just about level is two paint can caps
Double D Donuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Would you use the two scale method for a pan car and four scales for a sedan? I had a friend years ago that used the 4 scale method for TC, do you just pre-load each spring to the same weight? Just asking as I run a pan car and a TC. Thanks
TheOtherBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain stacker View Post
is it possible to check tweak on a car with 4 mini digital scales?

im trying to get out of buying a tweak station

is there a good article that explains tweak?
Tweak will tell you if the all the wheels are on the same plane. Your chassis might be twisted or your ride height adjustments might be off from wheel to wheel.

Scales will tell what each wheel weighs. That will give you an idea of how the car balances left to right and fore and aft. For road racing, 50/50 side to side is preferred. Front to back is usually close to 50/50 but each chassis design seems to like a particular weight distribution where it's happy. That may not be 50/50.

I use both. I tweak the car flat, then put it on scales to get the individual wheel weights. I have an iPhone app called "Cross Weight" that calculates all the percentages automatically. It's very handy.

I use four digital scales with a 500g capacity each. They are accurate to the 1/10th of a gram, which is probably too accurate. Scales like this will cost you $10 to $30 each, so they are not cheaper than a tweak station.

A touring car will have individual wheel weights in the 300g-ish region and things like shock stiction and suspension bind make it difficult to get the weights perfect.

The scales also have to be perfectly level to each other in order to get an accurate reading. I never use scales at the track. It takes a long time to set them up right, so I reserve them for the shop.

Scales are very useful for an oval car, since a tweak station won't give you much info on cross weights.

Bottom line -- a tweak station is a good investment. Scales are nice to have if you like to spend a lot of time getting every last bit of info about your car's setup.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhberger View Post
I use four digital scales with a 500g capacity each. They are accurate to the 1/10th of a gram, which is probably too accurate. Scales like this will cost you $10 to $30 each, so they are not cheaper than a tweak station.
Have a link to the scales you use? All the ones I've looked at in that price range don't have the capacity.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I picked up four 500 gram scales off Amazon. I got the Fast Weight M-500. The price varies, but I paid $6.36 each. I have not yet tried to balance the car, but a side by side test of the scales confirmed the .1 gram accuracy.
Rara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 6 buck scales

Six bucks is a super price for a digital scale. I wish I could remember the site I bought mine from. They are, ahem, "cigarette" scales for hand rollers, and they were on sale for about $12 each. The scale pad is a good size, a little bigger than a business card. They can also be calibrated -- I have a 200 gram calibration weight. They use two CR2032 coin-type lith batteries each. That's pretty much all I know.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Tech Master

http://cgi.ebay.com/1000g-x-0-1g-Dig...item2a069ea645

Setting up scales can really be a bi#3h!... I bought 4 of those since last year and never used them more than 5 times.

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:58 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use scales everytime I set up my car, usually just to check but sometimes to adjust. They won't work if your car is not balanced side to side but will help you set that as well. They will also not be accurate if you have binding suspension but you can check that on the scales as well by taking a reading then pushing your car down and releasing it should return to the same reading. You also have to ensure your chassis is not tweeked or twisted before measuring, so ensure it is nice and flat and your ride heights are set before you get your corner weights. The nice thing about scales is you can check for sticking suspension or shocks without disassembling your car and you can check for chassis tweek easily once you have a baseline of what each wheel weighs. So if I normally have each wheel weighing 350 grams and check the car and find two wheels at 250 and two at 450 I know I have to untweek my car cause I hit that wall way harder than I normally do.
Cammer is offline   Reply With Quote