R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-29-2010, 06:50 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Parking lot racer

I'm having a hard time deciding on what to do and get for my Sprint 2. The weather is changing and we plan to do some parking lot racing this summer so would like to set it up for the best resolts. My problem is I don't know much about road racing and what to expect since I've used my Sprint for drifting when I first got it and then it sat for a year.
I have new X patter tires and rear belt coming but looking to put a $300 order together from tower since I'm a member = $260 if they ever send me a coupon code.
I have a 8.5T 4000 ezrun system in it now but havent ran do to rear belt and needing new tires so not sure if that would be good enough. Have been looking at a Castle MMP 4600 or 5700 wondering if it would be worth it.
1. Are the Graphite parts worth it?
2. Thinking stock shocks will work but would like to have some spare springs to play with. What ones do I need for racing in a parking lot.
3. How about the universal dog bones? If worth it is there anything else I would need to make them work.
4. Gearing, With ezrun or mamba what gearing should I have on hand? Spurs and pinions..

I think thats all the questions I have for now and thanks for any info you can give. Feel free to let me know anything else I may need..
Old 04-29-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Not sure what a Sprint 2 is. I've kinda drifted away from main-line on-road. Traxxas? Like to see image(s) of it when you get it ready.

I'll throw up ( ) my parking lot racer just for grins. Put it together from stuff lying around the shop. Old Academy Griffin 2WD buggy. PowerPac is MaxAmps 2s x 5250 30C LiPo w/Novak 2s SmartStop; Novak Atom ESC; Trinity 10x2 FW brush motor.

Runs out pretty good. Not a good drifter though with the buggy tires still up front. Haven't shot it with a radar gun yet, but it's fast enough for me to have fun with.

Good luck. Know there's lots of fast PLR's out there. Maybe this thread will bring them out of the closet?
Attached Thumbnails
Parking lot racer-s6300250-3-.jpg   Parking lot racer-s6300249-3-.jpg  
AHR43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Thats pretty interesting, love putting things together to form something to my needs. Kinda what I'm doing with my Sprint since it was in pieces from the last time I played with it. This on road is all new to me so trying to get it all worked out.
Heres a pic with it's old body but new tires and wheels. I have the 8.5 installed and ready so as soon as I can get some nice weather to test her I will.
Attached Thumbnails
Parking lot racer-sprint.jpg  
Old 04-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Dane Send a message via Skype™ to Dane

Educate yourself. Pick up the XXXMain setup book and try things out with your setup. Learn your car. Don't worry about speed and hopups.

www.toycarracingblog.com
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
Educate yourself. Pick up the XXXMain setup book and try things out with your setup. Learn your car. Don't worry about speed and hopups.
That's your book into the would of RC racing. It's well worth the money.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Thanks guys for the info for the book. Will be ordering that right away. But I still would atleast like to know what shock springs work best for my conditions. Just would like to order more then a body so would like to pick up a few sets of springs that will be in use later..
Old 04-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Nice TAT. Real nice. What is it with PLR's and black, anyway? Even my windows are done black. No masking. Serious PLR.

Be interested to see how it shakes out for you. Here's a body-off on my OFB (One Fast Buggy).
Attached Thumbnails
Parking lot racer-s6300255-2-.jpg  
AHR43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
Tech Addict

VenturaDC is about to give you some tips. He knows a lot about parking lot racing.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Durango Dex210--Futaba--Trakpower--Tacon 8.5
VenturaDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturaDC View Post
No tips?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPeRo View Post
No tips?
As far as i can remember i've only given advise on cars or products i own or have owned, nothing in particular about parking lot racing or a sprint 2, besides the best advise was already given and that is to pick up a book, but i prefer the xray tuning guide over the xxxmain book and it can be downloaded for free here LINK
Durango Dex210--Futaba--Trakpower--Tacon 8.5
VenturaDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #12
Tech Master

Could you post a picture of your car without the body so I can see what you are using?

www.toycarracingblog.com
Old 04-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

subbed
JKL1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:34 AM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
Could you post a picture of your car without the body so I can see what you are using?
I'm running for now a Ezrun 8.5T 4000Kv 60a combo. I willget pic soon but it's nothing special..lol
Old 05-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #15
Tech Master

Well without knowing much about your car. I'd do some research into which spring from HPI will fit you car and buy some of those. Parking lots are considered low traction so springs on the softer side might be best.

Graphite parts will only make you car break faster. Don't bother.

Are there aluminum caster blocks, steering knuckles, etc for your car? For durability you might wan to look at those.

Just run whatever motor/esc you have. Search here or contact the company that makes it and see what is suggested for gearing. Each motor and ESC combo needs to be geared differently so I can't give you a magical suggestion.

I'd look at getting an RPM camber gauge and Hudy setup board if you want to keep racing.

The most important thing, above any of this stuff, is to again, educate yourself. Learn about how to maintain your car, keep it in good shape, setup etc etc. These things are free and are more important than hop-ups.

www.toycarracingblog.com