R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default front diff

coming from minimal onroad experience, I hear for outdoor, and im currently using that spool is the way to go. But so far I seem to be wearing out the outdrives and front shafts.

Would there by much disadvantage in running a diff up the front? I gather there would be less damage from crashes, and alot easier on the drive train, but what I want to ask is.........

how does a diff handle on asphalt compared to spool? More turn in? Slightly less forward traction?

a locked up front diff would act like a spool, only have abit more 'give', true?
captain stacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain stacker View Post
coming from minimal onroad experience, I hear for outdoor, and im currently using that spool is the way to go. But so far I seem to be wearing out the outdrives and front shafts.

Would there by much disadvantage in running a diff up the front? I gather there would be less damage from crashes, and alot easier on the drive train, but what I want to ask is.........

how does a diff handle on asphalt compared to spool? More turn in? Slightly less forward traction?

a locked up front diff would act like a spool, only have abit more 'give', true?
What car do you have? some people build slipper spools for this reason, basically a diff with sandpaper instead of diff balls, it will give under a big hit.

Typically a diff is slower out of the corner, but if your car is a little tail happy it actually calms it down.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
What car do you have? some people build slipper spools for this reason, basically a diff with sandpaper instead of diff balls, it will give under a big hit.

Typically a diff is slower out of the corner, but if your car is a little tail happy it actually calms it down.
tamiya, I also just found out they make delrin cups, so that may help make the outdrives last abit longer.

thats interesting with the sandpaper!
captain stacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Yep, all of that.

You could also try a front and/or center one-way if your rules allow it. This will give you the spool rip out of the corners coupled with the turn in of the diff (actually a lot more) but will completely take away any chance of using brakes in corners. Even in a straight line it will be tricky to master braking with one ways.

I think the sandpaper locked diff is the best option but you need to test and tune the tightness between stripping the screw and having the diff too loose. Perhaps different sandpaper grades too.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 04-28-2010 at 09:40 PM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:13 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

losi has the sandpaper disks. feels like 120-150 grit. they do wear out with time. most run the front diff tighter than the rear to lock it up more. tight short courses are better with a diff. losi runs plastic in the front and metal in the rear outdrives on some cars. that's cause the front steering action puts twice the wear on bones and outdrives.
speedster1919 is offline   Reply With Quote