Wiki Posts
Search

Intellect 50C's

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Intellect 50C's

I bought 2 of these, charged them always at 1C (5 AMP), always balanced charged and always run with lipo cutoff even though the packs never went below half full. And only had maybe 10 runs on each before 1 of them puffed.The other lipo is perfect and hasn't puffed at all even though it was run in the same car, at the same track and in the same weather. Luckily the pack still seems usable and hasn't puffed heaps but still pretty pissed off that it happened in the first place.

Just wondering if anyone else has had bad experience with these lipo's even after taking ever precaution known to man kind to make sure it doesn't happen?

Or did I just get a dud? There is another guy at the track who has done the same thing to his (but I think he just ran it to low without voltage cutoff)

Thanks in advance
Old 04-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snowman_evil
I bought 2 of these, charged them always at 1C (5 AMP), always balanced charged and always run with lipo cutoff even though the packs never went below half full. And only had maybe 10 runs on each before 1 of them puffed.The other lipo is perfect and hasn't puffed at all even though it was run in the same car, at the same track and in the same weather. Luckily the pack still seems usable and hasn't puffed heaps but still pretty pissed off that it happened in the first place.

Just wondering if anyone else has had bad experience with these lipo's even after taking ever precaution known to man kind to make sure it doesn't happen?

Or did I just get a dud? There is another guy at the track who has done the same thing to his (but I think he just ran it to low without voltage cutoff)

Thanks in advance
my guess is that lipo packs puff up naturally. running a couple of Reedy 4900 packs and both are slightly puffed but they still charge and run fine...
Old 04-28-2010, 12:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by VooDooPH
my guess is that lipo packs puff up naturally. running a couple of Reedy 4900 packs and both are slightly puffed but they still charge and run fine...
Yeah maybe, just a bit annoyed that It did it so early. Surely they Anyone else had any experiences with these lipo's?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

well d im not going lipo..
Old 04-28-2010, 02:35 AM
Tech Adept

If the motor is a low turn or over geared, the Lipo gets worked hard and will puff. Basically any overloading on the Lipo will cause it to puff. These days when geared at the breaking point just before motor thermal to get the best times, if you drive less smoothly on one run this can happen... been there done that...
Old 04-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PHI/BMI racer
If the motor is a low turn or over geared, the Lipo gets worked hard and will puff. Basically any overloading on the Lipo will cause it to puff. These days when geared at the breaking point just before motor thermal to get the best times, if you drive less smoothly on one run this can happen... been there done that...
I thought that excess timing or heat in the motor would cause this but the motor didnt reach above 60 Celsius...
Old 06-25-2010, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I hear you.... I have 4 of these IP5000 50C LIPOS, and all of them are puffed slightly, with one of them so bad that its split the casing. Not very happy as they are only about 3 months old.

A couple of other racers at my local club have them, and they are starting to puff too, with one pack of MOK's going open circuit.

I'm gonna stay away from these packs, and probably this brand in particular....
Old 06-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Tech Adept

I too have puffed IP 5000 50C packs. They were bought new in april and used for stock only. At most 2100mah is used per run so they havent been over discharged and they have only been charged at 5 amps.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:04 PM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yep, my current set of IP5000 50C packs have also puffed.

As mentioned before by JRXS-R, one of them has gone to 1.9V across the pack (0.2V and 1.7V cells) and this one has puffed the most.

These packs are 4mths old at best and have had approx 15-20 cycles on each pack.
None of the packs have hit lipo cutoff and have always been charged at 1C. After a 5min race, the packs are taking 2400-2500mAh so I'm only using 50% of their capacity.
In comparison to a new IP5000 50C pack, they have lost significant punch.

What exactly is going on here Intellect??
Are you pushing the limits too far and selling us unstable packs??

I have solely used Intellect packs in the last 3yrs and know them to be good, but this current breed of high capacity and high discharge packs are causing me grief and costing me $$ that I wont be able to sustain.

How do we resolve this issue as a community of racers?
We need Intellect to step up and help us fix these issues we are seeing with their packs!

As others have said, I'm considering dropping the Intellect brand entirely.

-Mark
Old 06-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Anyone had issues with the 5600 50C's?
Old 06-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've had the same problem with my 40C packs. I have 4 which have been used fairly hard but well maintained, after about 4 mths they all started to bubble slightly. When they hit about 6-7 mths the cases popped at the seems I had to tape them closed. They've all continued to work fine but the puffing is rather annoying. One has puffed so bad, the case popped about 3/8" on one side, i just stopped using it.

Now that i see the 50C are just as bad or worse i may go another direction with battery choice.

Has anyone else had problems with other manufacture battery's; SMC, Orion, 3racing, Reedy, Pro Match, Thunder power etc?
Old 06-27-2010, 12:36 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i'm interested to know if anyone has experienced the same with the orion 5000 45c or 5400 45c packs?
Old 06-27-2010, 02:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
Anyone had issues with the 5600 50C's?
Paul, one of the guys at my local track is trying out the Venom 5600 50C packs. I understand that they are IP cells in them. He's just got them, so will need to wait a little while before we can tell if there are any problems.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

What charge percentage is your charger set at?

I think I ruined my first lipo a while back(a TP 5000 40c) because I didnt take notice of the charge % setting on my Duratrax ICE. I think I had it set at 120% and I charged the pack around six times at that setting. Well.. I did put the pack away for six months fully charged so that could have ruined it too.

Now I charge my packs with the ICE set at 90% charge and with a TP-205 balancer attatched. There is a full charge indicator on the TP-205 which goes on at 8.4v for a 2s but yet the charger still continues to charge past that to top off. It does however terminate the charge(at .1 CV) without going over 8.4v. I do usually take the pack off the charger when the TP-205 indicator goes on just to be safe.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Tech Addict

I use all formats of Intellect (3800/5000 from 25 to 50 C) for over two years and with a very intensive use (2 / 3 times a week) I never had any problems.
Using Robitronic Overloader and Graupner charger loaded to 1C.
Only once a 30C 5000 pack is slightly inflated (and deflated later) because exposed to direct sunlight in summer.

Last edited by AGNO; 06-28-2010 at 03:20 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.