Intellect 50C's

Old 06-29-2010, 04:46 AM
  #16  
mok
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
mok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,075
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by AGNO View Post
I use all formats of Intellect (3800/5000 from 25 to 50 C) for over two years and with a very intensive use (2 / 3 times a week) I never had any problems.
Using Robitronic Overloader and Graupner charger loaded to 1C.
Only once a 30C 5000 pack is slightly inflated (and deflated later) because exposed to direct sunlight in summer.
I've run Intellects for the last 3 years myself from stick packs to 3800s and 5000s of varying C ratings and my experiences have been..

IP3800 hardcase -- great, no issues, puffed due to heat when running 3.5T in a 5min race (always returned to normal size)

IP4000 stick pack -- great, always performed well in m03r, scx10 and drifter.

IP5000 30C hardcase -- one pack after 12mths went zero voltage AFTER charge cycle but i resurrected it

IP5000 40C hardcase -- puffed slightly after 6mths (approx 50 cycles)

IP5000 50C hardcase -- puffed after less than 4mths (< 20 cycles)

From my experience, it looks like the bigger the capacity and higher the c rating, the more unstable the pack.

What i really want to find out are which packs of around 5000mAh 40C are actually stable, run hard no matter how much is pulled from them or using what electronics/motor etc and dont puff after minimal use.

Recommendations anyone?
mok is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 05:44 AM
  #17  
Tech Addict
 
AGNO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Firenze Italy
Posts: 609
Default

Originally Posted by mok View Post
I've run Intellects for the last 3 years myself from stick packs to 3800s and 5000s of varying C ratings and my experiences have been..

IP3800 hardcase -- great, no issues, puffed due to heat when running 3.5T in a 5min race (always returned to normal size)

IP4000 stick pack -- great, always performed well in m03r, scx10 and drifter.

IP5000 30C hardcase -- one pack after 12mths went zero voltage AFTER charge cycle but i resurrected it

IP5000 40C hardcase -- puffed slightly after 6mths (approx 50 cycles)

IP5000 50C hardcase -- puffed after less than 4mths (< 20 cycles)

From my experience, it looks like the bigger the capacity and higher the c rating, the more unstable the pack.

What i really want to find out are which packs of around 5000mAh 40C are actually stable, run hard no matter how much is pulled from them or using what electronics/motor etc and dont puff after minimal use.

Recommendations anyone?
The 5000 50C I have 6 months and when the assets are OK and have about 20 discharges,5000 40C discharges over 60 ,5000 30C over the 100.
To consider the use only with 17.5 and 10.5 so I do not know their behavior mod motors.
AGNO is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 06:08 PM
  #18  
Tech Elite
 
COBRARACING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,338
Default

Originally Posted by mok View Post
I've run Intellects for the last 3 years myself from stick packs to 3800s and 5000s of varying C ratings and my experiences have been..

IP3800 hardcase -- great, no issues, puffed due to heat when running 3.5T in a 5min race (always returned to normal size)

IP4000 stick pack -- great, always performed well in m03r, scx10 and drifter.

IP5000 30C hardcase -- one pack after 12mths went zero voltage AFTER charge cycle but i resurrected it

IP5000 40C hardcase -- puffed slightly after 6mths (approx 50 cycles)

IP5000 50C hardcase -- puffed after less than 4mths (< 20 cycles)

From my experience, it looks like the bigger the capacity and higher the c rating, the more unstable the pack.

What i really want to find out are which packs of around 5000mAh 40C are actually stable, run hard no matter how much is pulled from them or using what electronics/motor etc and dont puff after minimal use.

Recommendations anyone?
Hi mok

The higher the capacity or c rating doesnt mean instability its all about if the manufacturer is telling you the truth about the actual c rating .I see so many packs with large c rating stated like 50 c etc but they are so cheap so it makes me wonder is this true is the c rating right because from what i know a true high c rated battery is also a very expensive battery as the procedure to produce is totally different form the lower models.

Remeber 3.5 turn motor is going to demand large amounts of current to operate to it max performance less turn more current .remebering that a battery is an uncontrolled device and thats when things turn ugly when the c rating stated is not true .The motor will demand max and the esc is going to give it max thus the battery will discharge at above it safety net thus causing damage to the battery (leakng cells) so when you charge your battery it will over charge and puff from the leaking cells allowing gas build up within the seal of the battery .

see speed controllers and motors are getting more advanced everyday with turbo timing which you see 26000rpm go over 80000 rpm this sort of situation also needs an advanced battery right? but the batterys are no advancing as quick as what electronics is advancing so then you get the issues like the above statement .

I remember a time when i was in the aircraft industry and roll royce was modifying there rb211 engines for 10000 more punds of thrust but they forgot to mention to the aricraft indystry that you need to reinforce your engine pods now to handle the power and the stress thus we were taking engines off planes and finding many stress fractures .just an example that technology that is related to each other like batterys and electronics need to advance together or it will all fall apart like we see now .

I think more communication between the esc companies and battery companies can be a start of something good as esc companies are producing esc to 150 amp con and above but there is not battery to support it .

Last edited by COBRARACING; 06-29-2010 at 06:26 PM.
COBRARACING is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 06:52 PM
  #19  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (267)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Wisconsin USA
Posts: 4,310
Trader Rating: 267 (100%+)
Default

At least your picking on someone other than SMC for a change! Guess quality control is getting a little lax lately!!!
Andy Koback is offline  
Old 06-29-2010, 11:32 PM
  #20  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
beaim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 477
Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Default

just my very own experience.

most of my li-po puffed because of store with full charge.

since i maintain my li-po 3.8v per cell for storage. all my li-po look very handsome.
beaim is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 12:04 AM
  #21  
Tech Elite
 
COBRARACING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,338
Default

Originally Posted by beaim View Post
just my very own experience.

most of my li-po puffed because of store with full charge.

since i maintain my li-po 3.8v per cell for storage. all my li-po look very handsome.
yes i agree but the damage has already been done so no matter half charge or full charge makes no difference as the cells are already damaged and leaking so when you fully charge your battery later on it will over charge without you even knowing and thats when they will puff .

Thats only if your batterys are already damaged from excessive discharge in a short time .
COBRARACING is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 12:15 AM
  #22  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
KWT-NITRO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,616
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

ok,

am still not sure what to buy

how about the protek 50C (supreme power) from amain

are they good?? better than intellect or what to get please, i haave all my stuff already and not the battery, will run 5.5T

any help

cheers

Ali
KWT-NITRO is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 01:07 AM
  #23  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
adrian_pg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Penang Island
Posts: 1,972
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mok View Post
i'm interested to know if anyone has experienced the same with the orion 5000 45c or 5400 45c packs?
Samething happens here, I own a Team Orion 5400 45C, its puffed too.
Very disappointed... only 2 months old, about 8 times cycle.
I heard from a local suppliers here, saying that all branded Lipo 2s Hard casing
,95% are made in China; SMC, LRP, Orion, IP, Orca, their control quality is bad, but is cheap compared to top brands like Acon and Maxamps...
I did complaint about Orca 5500 50c, bought it 1st ganeration. It puffs after a month. And the Orca idiot suppliers says, It was a racing pack and only last for 3 months, max... Fell like taking this batt and throw on his face.. How can this be!!!
adrian_pg is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 04:43 AM
  #24  
Tech Elite
 
COBRARACING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,338
Default

Originally Posted by adrian_pg View Post
Samething happens here, I own a Team Orion 5400 45C, its puffed too.
Very disappointed... only 2 months old, about 8 times cycle.
I heard from a local suppliers here, saying that all branded Lipo 2s Hard casing
,95% are made in China; SMC, LRP, Orion, IP, Orca, their control quality is bad, but is cheap compared to top brands like Acon and Maxamps...
I did complaint about Orca 5500 50c, bought it 1st ganeration. It puffs after a month. And the Orca idiot suppliers says, It was a racing pack and only last for 3 months, max... Fell like taking this batt and throw on his face.. How can this be!!!
Yes this is true 95% of all lipos are made in china,But that doesnt mean anything .The problem is the factory they are made in some are state of the Art facilities with the highest quality control and some are some of the worst slums you can ever comes across .

Military factories in china that are owned by government produce the best lipos but they are not cheap you get what you paid for thats for sure .

Chargers are also at fault as alot of the cheap chargers are good for nimh and nicad but the technology is just not good enough for lipos that need to be balanced they just dont have the correct charging patterns just voltage changes thats all .The charger might tell you thats its charging at 2 c but is it doing that ?

I can understand your frustration and i dont blame you .ive seen many factories label batteries with the incorrect information like capacity and c ratings and when you ask the question they say thats what the brand customer wants .so were do you go from there ?whos telling the truth ?

who are you going to sue when something goes really wrong with a lipo out of some poor quality chinese factory ?Ill give you the answer no one as in those parts of the world you can't do anything as 70% of the battery factories in china have no policy
COBRARACING is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 05:27 AM
  #25  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
Pablo Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,012
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Without trying to sound like a brand pimp, I have read these complaints about nearly every brand but one, that is good old Thunder Power. I use them, abuse them and they still go like they did the day I got them. They are not the cheapest to buy, but when they still run like new after a long time, they work out cheap in comparison to anything that has to be thrown out after 2 months!
Pablo Diablo is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 05:35 AM
  #26  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Barbados
Posts: 214
Default

Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO View Post
ok,

am still not sure what to buy

how about the protek 50C (supreme power) from amain

are they good?? better than intellect or what to get please, i haave all my stuff already and not the battery, will run 5.5T

any help

cheers

Ali
They appear to be very similar (if not the same) to the Intellect. I've directly compared my Protek 5000 40c to a Team Epic/Intellect 5000 40C and the cases are identical down to the bottom warning sticker. The top sticker was the only difference between the packs.

Amain has a pretty decent warranty on their packs.
spongerX is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 12:54 PM
  #27  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
taco94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Conn.
Posts: 1,118
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

This is the thing with high C-rated , high mAh packs. They puff up so much easier due to these outrageous ratings. The most extreme Li-po I have is an Intellect/eXpress 3800, 35C(+) Li-po. No puffing, good performance, I like it.

Basically, the less crazy a Li-po's mAh and C-rating is, the less the chance there is of it puffing or swelling.
taco94 is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 01:27 PM
  #28  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,646
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
Without trying to sound like a brand pimp, I have read these complaints about nearly every brand but one, that is good old Thunder Power. I use them, abuse them and they still go like they did the day I got them. They are not the cheapest to buy, but when they still run like new after a long time, they work out cheap in comparison to anything that has to be thrown out after 2 months!

You mean this one....http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...=Thunder+Power

Johnny Wishbone is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 PM
  #29  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
Pablo Diablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,012
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
I stand corrected! Well that makes things a whole lot more confusing. Does anyone know of a brand that doesn't have this problem?
Pablo Diablo is offline  
Old 06-30-2010, 09:51 PM
  #30  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Official's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 474
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
I stand corrected! Well that makes things a whole lot more confusing. Does anyone know of a brand that doesn't have this problem?
So far my SpeedPowers and LRP(5400 35C) have not puff up during extreme temps. I'm staying in singapore and the temp around here is about 30C to 36C
Speed Power i have are 5800 55c x 2, 5000 45c x 2 and a 3800 30c till now still no puffing and i run them more then 8min each run. The only ones puffed are my Orion's(5000 45C), IPs(5000 40c) and OCRA (5400 45c).
Official is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.