Wiki Posts
Search

Mckune Design 10R5 2s Lipo 235 Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 02:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Mckune Design 10R5 2s Lipo 235 Conversion Kit

This thread is for comments and suggestions, questions, and interest in the MD10R235 2s Lipo 235 conversion kit for the 10R5.

This is a new prototype I am working on for converting the 10R5 to a 2s Lipo 235 Pro 10 Car. The conversion bolts directly on the existing 10R5 chassis with no modifications. The pictures below are of the first prototype rev 1. The front track width is 215mm and the rear is 225mm with Jaco tires. With Spacers and BSR tires the rear can be widened to 235mm. The rear axle uses CRC hub extenders. Wheel base currently has 3 positions for adjustment. The Battery is installed and removed by unscrewing 4 screws in the Shock Mount Plate. The battery is secured with tape. The kit will include: front suspension mount plate and stiffener bar, Rear Top deck Plate, Shock Mount Plate, 2 Hub extenders, Kydex nerf wings, and long turnbuckles. Also shown is our new Kydex front bumper.

This first prototype has been sent to Kody Knudson (2nd Place 13.5 2009 Reedy Race 13.5) for testing. There will be a few changes and I will post updates from testing and changes as completed.

Attached Thumbnails Mckune Design 10R5 2s Lipo 235 Conversion Kit-md10r235-top.jpg   Mckune Design 10R5 2s Lipo 235 Conversion Kit-md10r235-front-no-bat.jpg   Mckune Design 10R5 2s Lipo 235 Conversion Kit-md10r235-rear-no-bat-open.jpg   Mckune Design 10R5 2s Lipo 235 Conversion Kit-md10r235-angle-rear.jpg   Mckune Design 10R5 2s Lipo 235 Conversion Kit-md10r235-back-angle.jpg  

Old 04-27-2010, 03:04 AM
Tech Master

great idea!

I do have one point though. I know hub extentions are easy modification but please design a wide pod instead of those hub extentions. Just a wide bottom and top plate and you are almost there.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:19 AM
Tech Champion

Looks nice...the one comment I would have is avoid putting body posts on kydex parts...especially front bumpers. They just mis-align when the kydex bends.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
great idea!

I do have one point though. I know hub extentions are easy modification but please design a wide pod instead of those hub extentions. Just a wide bottom and top plate and you are almost there.

I dont think the stock axle is long enough for a wider pod.

I would rather see longer hubs instead of the CRC hub extenders.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:33 AM
Tech Master

yup that is the almost there part

Either a wide pod with a wide axle to go to 235mm or indeed the IRS long hubs with the small pod (would be less then 235mm width)
Old 04-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Looks nice...the one comment I would have is avoid putting body posts on kydex parts...especially front bumpers. They just mis-align when the kydex bends.
I should have shown the underside but what you don't see is that the carbon plate extends out to the body post.

Hubs are an issue. The problem is cost. IRS hubs for both sides retail for about $60 ($29 each). My goal for this kit was to have it retail for around $80. There is no way to accomplish this by including upper and lower wide pod plates and long axle or by including IRS long hubs. The hub extenders are a lower cost solution. You can always order the IRS hubs direct from them.

Thanks for the input guys keep it coming.

Troy
Attached Thumbnails Mckune Design 10R5 2s Lipo 235 Conversion Kit-top-deck-md10r235.jpg  
Old 04-28-2010, 02:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is it! I have been waiting a long time for it.
I do have a few suggestion for the new chassis.
A simpler and cleaner setup will be good.

1)A new chassis similar to the new Xray link 1/10 with 6 battery cut-out down the center to cater for those lipo with small nodes at the bottom. This will allow the battery to sit lower on the chassis.

2)For the front width, can make use of the wider arm mount plate or design the front chassis wider and use smaller extension plate to further adjustment the width from 215mm - 230mm

3)Bumper mount hole. Additional holes to allow adjustment of the bumper, +/-5mm to better fit the bodyshell.

4)Rear body post. Design the chassis similar to using nerf plate at the link side before the rear tires or extend the chassis brace to mount the post further apart.

Hope to see the real final chassis soon. +1 order for me!!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

looks good. Do you have a price yet?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:25 AM
Tech Master

Just some thoughts:
-don't offer the extentions in the package so people can buy it seperatly to what there preference are, irs hubs or crc extentions
-offer the wide pod as an option.

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune
I should have shown the underside but what you don't see is that the carbon plate extends out to the body post.

Hubs are an issue. The problem is cost. IRS hubs for both sides retail for about $60 ($29 each). My goal for this kit was to have it retail for around $80. There is no way to accomplish this by including upper and lower wide pod plates and long axle or by including IRS long hubs. The hub extenders are a lower cost solution. You can always order the IRS hubs direct from them.

Troy
Old 04-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

good !
Old 04-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Press the button Troy, looks like another winner...........

Jacko
Old 04-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Champion

Troy
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the front body posts..does the chassis extend out to where they mount? That was always the problem with the old 10L cars was the body mounts being on the bumper.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

This thread is for comments and suggestions, questions, and interest in the MD10R235 2s Lipo 235 conversion kit for the 10R5.

This is a new prototype I am working on for converting the 10R5 to a 2s Lipo 235 Pro 10 Car. The conversion bolts directly on the existing 10R5 chassis with no modifications. The pictures below are of the first prototype rev 1. The front track width is 215mm and the rear is 225mm with Jaco tires. With Spacers and BSR tires the rear can be widened to 235mm. The rear axle uses CRC hub extenders. Wheel base currently has 3 positions for adjustment. The Battery is installed and removed by unscrewing 4 screws in the Shock Mount Plate. The battery is secured with tape. The kit will include: front suspension mount plate and stiffener bar, Rear Top deck Plate, Shock Mount Plate, 2 Hub extenders, Kydex nerf wings, and long turnbuckles. Also shown is our new Kydex front bumper.

This first prototype has been sent to Kody Knudson (2nd Place 13.5 2009 Reedy Race 13.5) for testing. There will be a few changes and I will post updates from testing and changes as completed.

Kody. Is the MAN!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Default Questions

Originally Posted by pakk
looks good. Do you have a price yet?
The target price I was designing around is $80 retail.

Evirobs:
1. I would like to make a new chassis but that would make the cost of the kit about $50-$60 more. I am trying to put together a relatively low cost kit.

2. The plate I designed widens the front end to 215mm. Making it adjustable poses a few challenges like multiple upper stiffeners. I am working on an adjustable front end for the WGT version that allows 3 different adjustments. I may do the same for the 235 kit.

3. You can cut the Kydex with scissors or a dremel. I would have to make a new chassis to accomplish this.

4. The kit has both wide and narrow (stock 10r5 position) rear body post mount locations.

2wdrive:
1. I have to include something to make a complete kit. The CRC hub extensions are the lowest cost solution that work good. During testing I am looking in to other options.

2. This would have to be a separate kit. I am not sure of the benefits to having a wide pod versus just longer hubs.

The Kydex bumper does not come with the kit. This is a new product we are now selling. You can use your existing carbon fiber bumper. Last summer I went the entire season on 1 $10 solid Kydex bumper and never broke it or messed up a body. This was a pleasant change from the $25 CRC carbon fiber bumper that would usually crack with a big hit.

Thanks for the interest guys. I will keep you posted.

Troy
Old 04-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Going to a wider pod would imbalance the pod. Troy chose wisely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.