Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by benben10
unless you put a 550 size motor in it
Can you imagine!
Old 04-30-2010, 01:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune
2wdrive:
2. This would have to be a separate kit. I am not sure of the benefits to having a wide pod versus just longer hubs.Troy
A wide pod will support the axle better. The longer the support (bearing) is away from the tire the more the axle can vibrate. Also with the crc extentions there will be more inertia. Not saying it will not work with the extentions but a wide pod is just more stable. (less vibrations and support the axle better in a crash etc etc). Specially in modified it is noticable.

Imbalance of the pod would be there but is not something to worry about that much. The faster drivers here don't balance there pod and still they win. So it is not of such a huge influence it seems. Drivers can always balance there pod themselves if they would wish to do so.

Just make the carbon of the pod wide enough and not flimsy as some of the other designs. In that respect i don't get it that some manufacturers make those bottom pods so flimsy with less then 5mm wide carbon. For the cost and manufacturing proces it doesn't matter if it is 0,5 cm wide or 1 cm wide but 1cm wide carbon is a lot sturdier if you go 60+ mph and get into a crash.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by benben10
unless you put a 550 size motor in it
My guess is that you are referring to the fact that the motor would not be in center with a wide pod? Well, in my personal design I work with a wide pod also and the motor is in center with the chassis. Also, it balances well with the rest of the car. It is just a matter of design to make that right and I agree with Alexander (2wd). A wide pod brings more stability to the rear axle...
Old 04-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joost K.
My guess is that you are referring to the fact that the motor would not be in center with a wide pod? Well, in my personal design I work with a wide pod also and the motor is in center with the chassis. Also, it balances well with the rest of the car. It is just a matter of design to make that right and I agree with Alexander (2wd). A wide pod brings more stability to the rear axle...
This is one of those things that I would have to see on a diagram or something in order to get it into my head. It does seem like a wide pod would be more stable AND hold the motor off center.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Not if the pod is designed so that the motor in ON CENTER...
Old 03-23-2011, 01:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Update on progress?

So is there any progress on this kit or has it just been shelved?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Troy, I like the design.

Question: For those of us who have the 10R5 and use a 1 cell lipo with it and want to keep it the standard 200mm width can we use the inline battery system you designed? I like that much better than the way the car comes from Associated.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Heck, I'd happily buy the individual parts to change the battery position and keep the 200mm wb for WGT! Any chance that this will ever see the light of day other than exploratory? Recently, a rep from AE stated that they would begin re-issuing the kit again due to overwhelming demand. No word on if they're going to standardize/upgrade it to the r5.1 rear pod design, though.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm with you Buckaroo!! I would buy the parts for the battery change as well to make it inline.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune
The target price I was designing around is $80 retail.

Evirobs:
1. I would like to make a new chassis but that would make the cost of the kit about $50-$60 more. I am trying to put together a relatively low cost kit.

2. The plate I designed widens the front end to 215mm. Making it adjustable poses a few challenges like multiple upper stiffeners. I am working on an adjustable front end for the WGT version that allows 3 different adjustments. I may do the same for the 235 kit.

3. You can cut the Kydex with scissors or a dremel. I would have to make a new chassis to accomplish this.

4. The kit has both wide and narrow (stock 10r5 position) rear body post mount locations.

2wdrive:
1. I have to include something to make a complete kit. The CRC hub extensions are the lowest cost solution that work good. During testing I am looking in to other options.

2. This would have to be a separate kit. I am not sure of the benefits to having a wide pod versus just longer hubs.

The Kydex bumper does not come with the kit. This is a new product we are now selling. You can use your existing carbon fiber bumper. Last summer I went the entire season on 1 $10 solid Kydex bumper and never broke it or messed up a body. This was a pleasant change from the $25 CRC carbon fiber bumper that would usually crack with a big hit.

Thanks for the interest guys. I will keep you posted.

Troy
Sounds good to me. Can I buy one?
Old 04-05-2011, 06:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
Just some thoughts:
-don't offer the extentions in the package so people can buy it seperatly to what there preference are, irs hubs or crc extentions
-offer the wide pod as an option.
A wide pod will not put the motor in the center of the chassis and you will have a pod that is not balanced and then everyone will need a motor spacer. So I think Hub Extensions are much better. A balanced pod is a big deal...

steve Dunn
Old 04-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

wow old post you quoted.

If you think a motor in the middle is more important, then that is fine with me, i know what very good pro10 drivers choose to drive overhere with 6-7t delta's that get 1/8 nitro laptimes and faster. They prefer a very stable axle over a motor that is a little off center.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I only made the one prototype and learned a few things. For one, The associated clamp hub is way to week for 2s mod.

The demand was just not there so I scrapped it.

Troy
Old 04-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Troy, did you know that Associated is planning on re-releasing the 10R5 very soon? Sean Cochran of Associated announced it on a thread I read on this forum a week or so ago. I wonder if that would cause demand for your conversion? I know a guy who has a 10R5 and he uses a 1cell lipo. He would be very interested in the chassis/battery layout of your conversion, as that would allow him to place his battery inline like all the other cars he races against. I would think that a lot of 10R5 owners might feel the same.

Last edited by Team Lotus; 04-05-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.