Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tungsten versus carbide diff balls >

Tungsten versus carbide diff balls

Tungsten versus carbide diff balls

Old 04-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Default Tungsten versus carbide diff balls

Is tungsten balls much better than carbide? Tungsten balls are approx. 4-6 times more than carbide around here. Are they really that much better? If I should buy tungsten balls, then it total will be 1/4-1/3 the price of a new kit !
Old 04-27-2004, 12:41 AM
Tech Elite

Tungsten Carbide is just one material...

Do you mean Tungsten vs normal steel?

Personally, I've always had a good diff with steel balls - and they are so cheap to replace.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:06 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for clearing up.

No, I really meant tungsten versus carbide.

LHS-1 have socalled tungsten balls for 289 dkr for 12 balls. LHS-2 have carbide balls for 67 dkr. It's more than 4 times up. The cheap ones are actually XRay.

That price difference made me think, that carbide and tungsten was two different things ! But now I realize, it was just a rip-off !

My HPI Pro2 ball diffs have never been very good; So I want to change the balls and turn the diff washers around.

The challenge is that I need both 2,4 mm and 2,0 mm balls. 2,4 is easy to find, but it's harder with 2,0 mm balls....
Old 04-27-2004, 02:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have used both. I have noticed that the steel balls will get "gritty" or even melt the diff when it gets hot, so I would stay away from the steel, but the carbide is a good choise. I have now started using ceramic diff balls, they are only 2 times the cost of the normal diff balls and they have lasted over a year without a rebuild and I am pleased with them.