Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
AMP draw and motor performance. >

AMP draw and motor performance.

AMP draw and motor performance.

Old 04-29-2004, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Default AMP draw and motor performance.

Guys;

I too was drawn into the more amps, more power myth. Given 2 of the EXACT same wind/type Motors, it simply is not true.

Of all the Monster Stocks that I've owned (my favorite Stocker), the ones with LESS amp draw have always been my fastest.

Also the on the MS (only), LESS balancing holes = MORE power. This has been the case with EVERY MS that I've run.

Last edited by popsracer; 04-29-2004 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Like David says.....no load amp draw doesn't mean much....super hard springs, a grooved or out of round comm, bad motor spacing, etc all can increase the amp draw through the roof....

At snowbirds, I watched a reedy driver spin up his motor on his GFX and it was pulling over 10 amps.....he turned to another driver and said his motor was going to be fast because of the amps it was pulling....Mike Reedy was standing right there and turned around and told him it didn't mean anything.

So I stayed....and watched this racer run the same motor, that he never messed with again....the guy was getting motored by everyone in the heat.....so much for that theory.

I had fast motors that pulled low amps and high amps....and some right middle....

Later EddieO
Old 04-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

It's east to get fooled by no load amp draw. Basically, there are so many things that can effect the no load current that it's all but meaningless.

Too much current draw can be caused by any number of things but one that will jack up the free rev amps but have no power is poorly broken in brushes. If you have a fairly large comm some brushes will only contact the comm on the leading and trailing edges (not in the center). This increases the amount of shorting that happens on the comm but makes less power.

Properly broken in brushes will pull about the same current all day long on the T35 and the current won't change much over 3 volts as long as the bushings are broken in.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Ok this is all I can tell you....lol

Monster Stock's one and two died so I got MS#3 to replace them and MS#3 draws about 3 amps/22,000 RPMS....about average for a monster on my Integy dyno w/ 10 amp Power Supply....Now I ressurected a new monster from MS1 & MS2 and it pulls about 6 amps at 25,800-26,100 on the same setup...Thats better than my quad-mag 19 turn

Ressurected Monster needs to be geared down about 1 tooth from MS3 but totally out-motored everyone in stock class until the heat started to kill it (damn Trinity magents) I don't know if it'll ever be the same

I think I'm gonna switch to 19 turn now my favorite stock motor might have died again...BTW: I was using a green spring on both POS & NEG on the ressurected monster I need get my dad to pull out the dyno/lathe again.....