R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-26-2004, 02:48 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Default ESC: Duratrax IntelliSpeed DTXM1080 versus QC2 / Rocket Max

Do some of you guys have experience with the Duratrax IntelliSpeed DTXM1080 ESC?

I think I saw somewhere it's actually a rebadge Novak Cyclone. At least the specs of that Duratrax is very, very good, and the price is also very attractive... Besides, it's blue and blue is better

Actually, I'm quite settled for one, but my concern is, whichever I should save up some more and get a QC2 or CS Rocket Max, which both have the auto-frequency adjust thing.

Is that feature worth spending 3 times the money for? I plan on having this ESC for years, so I dont want to regret. On the other hand, I dont like to spend a smaller fortune for something I dont need.

I dont care about the QC2's socalled waterproof feature, nor the small size.

Thanks.

Specifications

Last edited by Cole Trickle; 04-26-2004 at 02:54 AM.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:32 AM   #2
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I believe there is a review of this esc on www.hobbytalk.com in there articles section. From what I remember of the review, it was a really great ESC for the money.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 12:59 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Default Duratrax ESC

Mine has about 16 race and practice days on if without any problems. One other guy has had his for a year without problems. I use mine for stock racing. I don't know how it will do with mod motors, especially an eight turn.
Brant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 12:18 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Thanks guys.

Basically, I'm looking for two kind of inputs:

How many have good experience with this Duratrax ESC and how many have bad experience.

The other, and that's the biggest, Q is, whats the value of the LRP QC2 and/or the CS Rocket Max auto frequency feature?
Old 04-27-2004, 05:05 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Cole, The duratrax has the most bang for the buck. I've had mine for a few months now and really like it. The solder posts are actually alot easier to work with than the old cyclones since they are taller, and are similar to the old tekin g-12C posts. Programming is done by using the transmitter throttle trigger to move through set up, down side to this that you may not be able to change settings at a major race using this way of programming. It has either 4, or 5 throttle programms with the last one being the user sets up his own using a supplied chart with different settings ala cyclone, but without a pitwizzard. One thing that I really like about it is that it has the start feature just like my QC2, you simply hold the brakes at the start of the race and it helps to control wheel spin..., very nice.
The QC2 is a top rate ESC, The auto variable frequency is supposed to give a very good punch like a lower frequency at slower speeds, then as you pick up speed give the benifit of a higher frequency for smoothness. Thats basically the QC2 advantage in a nut shell. I guess if your like me and have to have the newest technology, the QC2 is a great deal., that being said I really dont think you will lose a race over veriable frequencies, atleast not a club level events.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 05:42 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Thanks, Hobbypro, this is excatly the kind of info I'm looking for.

I did also figured that the Duratrax is the ESC with most bang for the buck.

I dont need to have the latest and greatest, I'm racing at club level and want to get the best within my budget. Right now I'm in the need for an extra charger and an upgrade of the older half of my batteries. And a ESC for my second car. The price saving of the Duratrax versus the QC2, can easily pay 2 new battery packs, and maybe even a second hand charger.

Keep posting, I would like to hear from more people.