R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-26-2004, 07:21 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

That's great!, Wyd, Is it also true that it should be zapped before every race day?
Quiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 07:26 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Shoot EA Motorsports a PM. Eric Anderson builds magnet zappers and they are BAD AS_..............
Old 04-26-2004, 07:42 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys: I guess every zapper comes with it's own little book! I'm just doing some research, I might get one for my self in the near future, they are not very popular around here but they really give you the edge!
Old 04-26-2004, 07:47 PM   #19
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally posted by Quiet
That's great!, Wyd, Is it also true that it should be zapped before every race day?
That was what the directions use to say back in the day. The new zappers are probably differnt since they are more powerful and updated some.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:23 PM   #20
Tech Adept

yep very very powerful! you can stand 10-15 feet away with a compass and it will change directions...if you gotta pacemaker stay clear it can kill you!
Brandon R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:23 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

FYI whatever DC zapper you have I doubt it works. You could put it in there for 5 years and it wouldn't do anything.

Team 1 sort of works, not as good as it could be.

EA's does work well from what I'm told, but its quite big and heavy.

As for trinity's zapper, that is WAY too much money, but it appears to work as well.

A good zapper actually only takes milliseconds to saturate the magnets. $.02 if it is designed properly.

The problem with most zappers that are any count now is that they JERK the line voltage and kick off chargers etc. so a few of them have been banned from big races.

However, a zapper that doesn't jerk the line voltage was made 10 years ago that probably puts out more than any zapper today, and its fairly small in size. It all depends on who makes the zapper and what they know about what they are doing.

Last edited by Tempest2000; 04-26-2004 at 11:34 PM.
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:12 PM   #22
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Thanks for the kind words Rob, Ozwald and EddieO. If anyone is interested in a magnet zapper PM me through here and I will send you some info. They arent cheap or light weight but work great.

Thanks

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:56 AM   #23
Tech Regular

try a guy called glyn ward in the uk
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/glyn.ward/
web site a bit rubbish but he make great motor
zapper with out the need to use an external power supply
Smoking motor.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:54 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Someone else mentioned this-but this is very important-DO NOT ZAP a mod motor with Cobalt mags-like the D6 for example. YOu'll demagnitize them.

Also-be wary as some 4-mag motors do and dont have Cobalt mags in the Epic line-up. I asked Deiter once and I think he said the EPic Binary stock and Epic outlaw 19 turns CAN be zapped.

We did this locally-5 of us all put in $$$$ and bought the Team1 Magnet zapper. We keep it at the track as its too heavy to lug around. I am very pleased with it and some motors do run better after a zap. Dyno and track tested.

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 12:45 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Ray,

Are you sure the D6 has cobalts in it? It doesn't mention anything like that on Trinity's web page. That's cool if it does though, I might even give one a try.
Ozwald Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 01:11 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozwald Bates
Ray,

Are you sure the D6 has cobalts in it? It doesn't mention anything like that on Trinity's web page. That's cool if it does though, I might even give one a try.
NO I am NOT sure. I do recall dieter saying dont do it to the Split Mags on the full blown mod motors.

Sorry to all if I mislead, but the jist is-be careful on mods. Just zap stocks and 19 turns witout worry!!!
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:13 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Little info about mags

Cobalt mags wont be in any motor that isnt special ordered they are real expensive. D6 is ceramic mags

If you do zap cobalt mags with a conventional zapper it WILL NOT demagnitze then nor will it even hurt them. It just doesnt make them any better.

It doesnt matter how many segments a motor has from single mags to 12 seg they can be zapped and will charge them. When 2 or mroe segments together its just like a battery you add more and it acts as one. So one side will be positive and one will be negative. not one side pos and neg and the other side pos and neg.
Brandon R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #28
Tech Initiate

Brandon R: That's the way I always thought they were built, in a crossed way configuration but I see now otherwise(according to you). I have'nt bought one yet, I really wanna make sure they can be zapped!.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:48 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Brandon is right... there are no regular motors from the factory that have cobalt to my knowledge. They cost more.

As for the magnets , its easy just use a compass. You will learn far more about the way the north south works that way than guessing at it because someone told you etc.

It has been rumored, and I don't back this up by any means since I haven't actually taken a compass to the mags in a D6, but it was rumored that trinity actually cut the magnets in half AFTER they had been magnetized the normal way and one half was swapped with one half of the opposite side. Now if this is true then zapping them WOULD mess up the field if it was done that way. (which would be stupid) I don't have time to go into details, but as long as all 4 mags are N(S N)S or S(N S)N depending on which way you look at it then it is fine to zap them.

Like I said use a compass to determine N and S and it should look like the diagram above.

There are other threads on rctech that go into greater detail with more in-depth diagrams that I and others have drawn. Just do a search.
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 04:20 PM   #30
Tech Initiate

Oh yeah it makes a lot of sense, if both (nn) mags are on one side and both (ss) mags are on the other side then, they can be zapped, if they aren't you will ruin it but why would they want to split both poles in half, doesn't it weakens them? thanks I will use the compass and get as much info as i can get .

Last edited by Quiet; 04-28-2004 at 04:42 PM.