R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by academygaz View Post
Ask yourself why any 2wd car (of any class) isn't just a 4wd minus some parts. 2wd buggy vs 4wd buggy is a good example. It just doesn't work because:

- the weight balance is all wrong
- the suspension geometry is all wrong
-....its just all wrong!

Sure it ''works'' in the loosest possible terms, as starts, stops and steers, but designing something for the purpose would be a million times better.
You're totally missing the point. In OFFROAD weight balance is very important because dirt has very little traction which means you need the weight over the end with more traction that's why 2WD OFFROAD has the weight in the rear while AWD OFFROAD is more like 50/50. Now if you converted a AWD OFFROAD buggy into RWD it won't handle the same or as good as a standard 2WD buggy because the weight balance hasn't changed to benefit the RWD configuration.

In ONROAD it's quite different because traction is much better than dirt. I've converted a TA03F AWD into a TA03R RWD and it handles quite well. It of course has less traction....duh...and requires a different driving style....duh again. A stock AWD TA03R has a layout that is very close to today's TC with the motor just in front of the rear axle so in terms of weight balance it's basically the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroLuver View Post
yea but they don't seem to work properly when you do that..I've tried many times before
They don't work properly as in how? If you're talking about traction then duh..RWD can never have the same traction as AWD. They do work I've done it, they just work a different way and requres a different driving style. If you expect a RWD car to behave the same as a AWD then I'm afraid you're missing the point.

Last edited by PaPeRo; 04-23-2010 at 05:22 PM.
PaPeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to RogerHewson

There was a rear wheel drive touring car before in a way, The F103GT was about as close as anyone has come. I suppose it wasn't a touring car, and It only ran touring car tires but but it was still awesome.
RogerHewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #18
Tech Master

And 2wd DOES work quite well in the wet. Its all about tires, setup and driving style...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2G7zktUIRs

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #19
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSherman View Post
i've been waiting many years for a RWD Sedan (with similar Modern Suspension Geometry and components you see on todays 4wd Touring Cars).. Time to get away from the PanCars... Its frickin 2010 for crying out loud...
Simplicity and lo cost is why we fortunately still have pan type, direct drive cars in 2010.
imho, it's good they are back

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Simplicity and lo cost is why we fortunately still have pan type, direct drive cars in 2010.
imho, it's good they are back
There can be a simple, more advanced, reasonably priced 2wd Sedan (pan car evolved).. Someone just needs to be the first to do it.. Matter of fact, every HighEnd Sedan on the Market today can be cheaper. There are some that do exist.. It's called a TA05.. Affordable and highly contested..
Old 04-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPeRo View Post
You're totally missing the point. In OFFROAD weight balance is very important because dirt has very little traction which means you need the weight over the end with more traction that's why 2WD OFFROAD has the weight in the rear while AWD OFFROAD is more like 50/50. Now if you converted a AWD OFFROAD buggy into RWD it won't handle the same or as good as a standard 2WD buggy because the weight balance hasn't changed to benefit the RWD configuration.

In ONROAD it's quite different because traction is much better than dirt. I've converted a TA03F AWD into a TA03R RWD and it handles quite well. It of course has less traction....duh...and requires a different driving style....duh again. A stock AWD TA03R has a layout that is very close to today's TC with the motor just in front of the rear axle so in terms of weight balance it's basically the same.

They don't work properly as in how? If you're talking about traction then duh..RWD can never have the same traction as AWD. They do work I've done it, they just work a different way and requres a different driving style. If you expect a RWD car to behave the same as a AWD then I'm afraid you're missing the point.
I know it's not going to have the same traction but I can't explain it the car just seemed completely outta whack takin the 4wd drive off and I meant I want a purpose built 2wd like an associated ds or something that was designed with RWd in mind is all
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:24 AM   #22
Tech Regular

But how would the Chassie look like?

Like a stretched M04?

Anyway here is some cool 2WD bodies:

http://www.controlfreax.com/dynamicdata/comingsoon.aspx
MatsNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:53 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Bump!
I discovered this theme, I have had same idea... I like to have some RWD touring with independent suspension, for less-traction srufaces...But.. this theme is 2 years old and Tamiya still doesn't make any IRS car..
But 3racing does... what you think, will be there 3racing sakura FGX touring?
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote