R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-24-2004, 09:36 AM   #16
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

I bought a Putnam Monster Stock through Stormer Hobbies and was deeply disappointed. The motor glitched really badly. Lots of people told me it was a capacitor problem so I tried to contact Putnam on 8 different occasions (via email and phone). I never got a return call or email. Oh well, I guess I just won't buy any of their stuff and I won't have to worry about not getting service. I have contacted Axiom, Team Paradigm and Fantom in the past for questions and information and they've always responded in a timely fashion. Pick your motor tuner wisely.

In general, if you do a little reading you can tune off the shelf motors with positive results. One of the only things a motor tuning company can do that most others cannot is balance an armature. Other than that, most tuning tips and tricks are out there for you read and try.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:38 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to tc3stocker Send a message via Yahoo to tc3stocker

Banzai all the way......I feel they are the most powerful and definitely the most consistent
www.banzaimotors.com
tc3stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:47 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to BuddyB

One of the guys at my local track said that paradigm makes their own brushes, and i think that they are the best out there, and for the price, you cant beat it. As for buying tuned motors, i never have, i have always done my own motor work, so i wouldnt know who has the best tuned stock motors.
-Buddy
BuddyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:59 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have to throw another vote in for Paradigm.My team has about 8 of their motors.We run on and off road stock and mod classes.We have always been pleased with the power from these motors.We have compared stock P2K2,Monster, and the new binaries between off the shelf and Paradigm.The Paradigm's pulled every stocker take-off,punch,and top speed.When we first started our team I found the Paradigm guys and every time I bought a motor my teammates would by the same motor stock to compare.We tested punch, top speed, and take-off.Now sometimes there wasn't a huge difference in any one area ,but the Paradigm's proved there worth over and over.Another thing they will cut the arm and retune the motor for 2 bucks.Hard to beat that!
SOuthernFRIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 11:20 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
I bought a Putnam Monster Stock through Stormer Hobbies and was deeply disappointed. The motor glitched really badly. Lots of people told me it was a capacitor problem
I had this problem with Trinity Monster. I changed the capacitor board, nothung, removed the green coating where the timing rin holds the can, nothing. I ended up soldering the capacitor board the brushoods, where the little bit of copper overhangs onto the capacitor board, and it was fixed. I do it to all my motors now, just in case.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 11:31 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Don't forget about Fantom, Chuck won stock touring and 1/12 masters at the nats and Troy from Fantom tuned both of them and you should be albe to get them any where later
Andrew Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 01:46 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Putnam, Fantom, Paradigm, and Team 1 RC are all great tuners. Support your LHS and choose from something they carry.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:28 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

Anonymous Motors is the best for Monster stocks
Old 04-24-2004, 05:11 PM   #24
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I had this problem with Trinity Monster. I changed the capacitor board, nothung, removed the green coating where the timing rin holds the can, nothing. I ended up soldering the capacitor board the brushoods, where the little bit of copper overhangs onto the capacitor board, and it was fixed. I do it to all my motors now, just in case.
I also had this problem on my old xxx-s from getting hit on the endbell, so I put a p2k2 endbell on to solve the problem. Soldering is the only fix on those. Mabye trinity could just start soldering them so they could have a better product.
Masterfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 05:36 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to FUK_WRX Send a message via AIM to FUK_WRX Send a message via MSN to FUK_WRX Send a message via Yahoo to FUK_WRX
Default GO Team Paradigm

I use a team paradigm in my 415/414 and it kicks ass my ride is dead under gear and runs as cool as ice. Lots of torque also hey cole i got one for sale check in the aussie for sale forum.
FUK_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 06:06 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Quote:
In general, if you do a little reading you can tune off the shelf motors with positive results. One of the only things a motor tuning company can do that most others cannot is balance an armature. Other than that, most tuning tips and tricks are out there for you read and try.
I agree with this you can tune your own stock motor and to get the max performance from your motor is to have the brush hoods perfectally alligned and to reduce arcing to a minimum. The price of purchasing a motor balancer and a motor magnet zapper are prohibitive to the racer so these 2 things are the only real advantage in purchasing a tuned motor.
johnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote