R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Is the Hot Bodies Cyclone S a dead platform?

Went to the hobby shop recently and was talked out of a TT-01E R and into a Cyclone S kit. While assembling I noticed a few weaknesses and went online looking for better parts. Seems like everywhere I look they're out of the parts I want and have been for some time giving the impression that nobody has this car anymore. Tower lists the model as discontinued. Did I make a mistake buying this thing? This is my first foray into touring cars and I'm gonna feel stupid for letting myself be talked into this.

So did I screw the pooch or not?
FritoBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritoBandito View Post
Went to the hobby shop recently and was talked out of a TT-01E R and into a Cyclone S kit. While assembling I noticed a few weaknesses and went online looking for better parts. Seems like everywhere I look they're out of the parts I want and have been for some time giving the impression that nobody has this car anymore. Tower lists the model as discontinued. Did I make a mistake buying this thing? This is my first foray into touring cars and I'm gonna feel stupid for letting myself be talked into this.

Try Tamiya TA05 series...the new one is called Type II and it is as good or even better then Cyclone S, and cheap. Plenty of parts because they share parts with the current 416 chassis.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If I am right Cyclones were just recently discontinued
zenkikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Try Tamiya TA05 series...the new one is called Type II and it is as good or even better then Cyclone S, and cheap. Plenty of parts because they share parts with the current 416 chassis.
I appreciate the advise but does that mean the Cyclone is a dead end as I feared? See I'm trying to decide whether to be patient and figure out the parts problem or not waste my time and head in another direction. Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
I appreciate the advise but does that mean the Cyclone is a dead end as I feared? See I'm trying to decide whether to be patient and figure out the parts problem or not waste my time and head in another direction. Thanks again.
the "S" chassis isnt dead, there are still ton of parts support available - if you take the time to look...

the nice thing about the "S" is that is share a good bit of suspension parts for the HPI Pro4 and the regular cyclone...I know 3racing has a HUGE selection of cyclone parts available, and they are plentiful on ebay and online shops
Old 04-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
the "S" chassis isnt dead, there are still ton of parts support available - if you take the time to look...

the nice thing about the "S" is that is share a good bit of suspension parts for the HPI Pro4 and the regular cyclone...I know 3racing has a HUGE selection of cyclone parts available, and they are plentiful on ebay and online shops
Thanks for the reassurance. I guess I'll be patient and work a little harder to find what I'm after.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Thanks for the reassurance. I guess I'll be patient and work a little harder to find what I'm after.
Check out the A Main Hobbies site. They have a lot of Cyclone S parts (that's were I've been getting my parts from).
Fllyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:

Even if they have been discontinued--you'll LOVE how easy this thing is to set up and get to work well. I've been running a bone stock one with NO problems with 17.5 and Tekin speed control. The only thing I have broken is the front steering up right---the one the dogbone runs throught that creates the amoung of caster you'll have? Those are available in aluminum--although I haven 't bothered yet--- I stopped hitting the front wheels--and I stopped breaking them. IT really handles well in it's stock form--and is soo reasonable priced--that you should be happy with your startup decision. Once you've had fun with this one--then move on to something more expensive and complicated.
FWIW
Tim
timmig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to charlie_b Send a message via MSN to charlie_b Send a message via Yahoo to charlie_b

WHat kind of parts are you looking for? At the Hotbodies site(www.hotbodiesonline.com) they have all the parts you need PLUS the GARAGE sale section. I was able to pick up a carbon fibre chassis for $6 and aluminum shocks for $12. Out of the box, the car handles very well and there is a ton of people willing to help you with set up. Just ask.
CFX Paintworks:="https://www.facebook.com/CFXPaintworks?fref=ts
TEAM ASSOCIATED|REEDY|HITEC|PARMA|PROTEKRC|SWEEP|IWATA| RPM|AMAIN|CREATEX/WICKED/AUTOAIR PAINTS|CFX|CAL RACEWAY
charlie_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

No way is the Cyclone S dead.. its quicker then a TA5 and if you like can be upgraded to a much faster car when you like.. parts from TC are a direct replacement..

Good choice in car..
warnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There is no comparison between the TT-01E and the Cyclone S. The cyclone s is a WAY better car to race. As a previous poster mentioned, try amainhobbies.com and stormer hobbies. Your hobby shop was right in pointing you toward the cyclone s.
SpidarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys. I feel much better.
I was after CVDs, aluminum diff cups, and a spool. Aluminum shocks will follow I'm sure. Are the 3racing shocks any good or should I stick with HB? Any must haves I should add to my list? For now I've ordered what I wanted and it's on the way! I'll be watching the HB garage sale too. Good tip. Fun stuff guys.

Oh.. is a 108 spur and a 27t pinion on a Mamba 4600 (which I already have) a good start?

Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:23 AM   #13
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to charlie_b Send a message via MSN to charlie_b Send a message via Yahoo to charlie_b

Quote:
Thanks guys. I feel much better.
I was after CVDs, aluminum diff cups, and a spool. Aluminum shocks will follow I'm sure. Are the 3racing shocks any good or should I stick with HB? Any must haves I should add to my list? For now I've ordered what I wanted and it's on the way! I'll be watching the HB garage sale too. Good tip. Fun stuff guys.

Oh.. is a 108 spur and a 27t pinion on a Mamba 4600 (which I already have) a good start?

Thanks again.
Buy HB...factory parts is the way to go.
CFX Paintworks:="https://www.facebook.com/CFXPaintworks?fref=ts
TEAM ASSOCIATED|REEDY|HITEC|PARMA|PROTEKRC|SWEEP|IWATA| RPM|AMAIN|CREATEX/WICKED/AUTOAIR PAINTS|CFX|CAL RACEWAY
charlie_b is offline   Reply With Quote