R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-21-2004, 07:48 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Which new electric car to buy?..help!

OK gang! I am looking for a new touring car to buy and I want your honest opinions. I have been looking into the Pro 4 and the Xray Evo 2. I am open minded and looking for opinions. What about Barracuda and Tc3 and others? Also what are your opinions on belt verses shaft drive. I currently drive a Pro 3. Any help and input will be appriciated.

RaveOn!
RaveOn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:40 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Anything is a step up from the Pro 3 My qualms with the Xray and the Barracuda is that in my area, the parts support is minimal (less so for the Xray). They are all good cars which can be made to work by certain people. The Pro 4 has the same oneway drivetrain issues as the Tamiya Evo3 so if you get it, buy alot of oneway gears. I'd look at parts support in your area: you don't wanna have to order online every time you break something. As far as shaft v. belt, I haven't driven a shaft car in a while and they're supposed to be slower in acceleration. I have a Tamiya 414M but I haven't noticed any acceleration given up to the shaft cars. The few times I do get out accelerated by a shaft car for whatever reason, I'm usually past him down the straightaway.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:47 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only car you listed with good parts support is the TC3. The pro 4 has poor support currently, the xrays have always had poor support IMO and the only support the cuda has is through speedtech (reliable support). I run a cuda and i just stock up on common breakable parts like ring gears, and maybe chubs but i run the aluminum and they just don't break.

Actually, speedtech is about the only place i've seen that consistently has the parts I need and in my area, the local shops only support the TC3 (which is a car i don't like) and i'm forced to use the internet for support. No big deal.

I don't buy the competition between shaft and belt drive trains but i prefer shaft as I don't have to replace the shaft nearly as often as a belt. Otherwise, if I were to go with another belt car it'd have to be the xray factory kit and i'm getting a cuda r3 soon.

Whatever you pick, just stick with it and learn how to set it up and it doesn't hurt to have a few parts lying around so you don't have to rely on the local shop.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:11 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

how bout the XXX-S !
stumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:38 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Any of the sedans nowadays are awesome cars. You just have to spend time setting them up. Look at what your hobby shop or track stocks as far as parts, then look at what the locals are driving. Usually if there is a dominate car there is a reason for it.

-Sushi Boy
Old 04-21-2004, 11:18 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sushi Boy
Any of the sedans nowadays are awesome cars.
Yeah, like that new OFNA! Heh, OK, maybe not ALL of them, but you catch his drift. What I'm wondering is why does it seem like everyone these days is selling a Brokomo SD?
Old 04-21-2004, 11:23 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yeah, I guess I should have put "mainstream race sedans" lol

-Sushi Boy
Old 04-21-2004, 11:26 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Hmmm, me biased about a product, naaah!! I highly recommend the TC3. There is excellent product support, the tuning posibilities are endless, shaft drive is way better than belt and if you go Factory Team, all the hop ups are there. But this is my opinion based on owning one for three years.
Java1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:50 PM   #9
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was in the same situation the past few weeks,

I wanted to upgrade from the TA04 and my choices were

HPI Pro 4
Xray T1 Factory
TRF 415

all three have dismal support here in Aust and needed to purchase everything online,

in the end I decided on the Xray Factory kit, just finished building it last night and I am very pleased with the result,
Team Tekin , ESC's, motors,
Elangears, Chargers,
Rod M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:03 AM   #10
Tech Master

Either the Tamiya Evo III, HPI Pro 4 or the Yokomo MR-4TC SD

I run a TC3 with a IRS conversion.....its a good car but there are better, more ballenced F/R shaft driven cars out there

Plus....You'll have a much easier setting the toe on a bellcrank car
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:23 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
The only car you listed with good parts support is the TC3.
That depends on where you live
Old 04-22-2004, 12:45 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Sushi Boy
Any of the sedans nowadays are awesome cars. You just have to spend time setting them up. Look at what your hobby shop or track stocks as far as parts, then look at what the locals are driving. Usually if there is a dominate car there is a reason for it.

-Sushi Boy
You are absolutely right !

Belt versus shaft? Shaft is mainly hype. My old trusty HPI Pro2 can easaly follow and most often beat, TC3's, Yoke SD's, Evo3's and more on the track. The main difference is still the driver

One thing I personally dont like about shaft cars, is the torque steer and bad balance. Thus it's common to use uneven setup from side to side, for example droop differ from side to side... In my opinion, that's making it harder to achieve a good setup.

Assuming part support is okay: The shaft car, which tempt me the most (but not enough to buy ) is the Barracuda.

My personal favorites are the Schumacher MI2 and the Xray Factory edition.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:21 AM   #13
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to cHckbOY5

budget also matters
cHckbOY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:27 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole Trickle

One thing I personally dont like about shaft cars, is the torque steer and bad balance. Thus it's common to use uneven setup from side to side, for example droop differ from side to side... In my opinion, that's making it harder to achieve a good setup.

torque steer is not much of a problem.The bad balance is.
damn,it's very frustrating.

On the same note,the batteries are almost always going to be heavier than the motor+electronics.

I don't understand why there are still cars with batteries on 1 side and everything else on the other.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:55 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by cHckbOY5
budget also matters
True. Just dont buy so cheap, that it'll be more expensive in the long run. For example, there's an Acadamy Sport something car at our club. It break very, very often.