Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-23-2004, 12:33 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by g4t2
Three letters, three numbers: T R F 4 1 5
2 words - obsolete tomorrow !!!

i guess as for a first car , you'd want something that's stable and has a longer shelf life..so that you can at least learn the ropes b4 going for these Tamiya babies which expire all too soon(and make great collectibles)
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:54 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreylin
Xray is my second choice for no other reason than the fact I will need to convert all my batteries to saddle packs LOL.
Converting packs take some work. But a good soldering iron and a jig, makes it a lot easier.

Afterwards you have the option of equalizing your packs...
Old 04-23-2004, 12:56 AM   #33
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by lee82gx
2 words - obsolete tomorrow !!!

i guess as for a first car , you'd want something that's stable and has a longer shelf life..so that you can at least learn the ropes b4 going for these Tamiya babies which expire all too soon(and make great collectibles)
i disagree

just because tamiya comes out with new models does not mean the old one is obsolete.

the 414MII is as competitive today as 2 years ago. The same goes for the EVO3.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 01:00 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by lee82gx
...these Tamiya babies which expire all too soon(and make great collectibles)
I must say, that Tamiya teases me to some point. Nice craftmanship. The choise between belt and shaft. But I find they aint adjustable enough, the 415 aint got many choises of camber link positions, even my oooold Pro2 seems to be better in this point. And the lifetime is soooo short. However, Tamiya have good support.

Not like HPI, which only settle for the big markets and left people like me in small countries standing alone with a nice car, but almost no support (they use to have good support here). And just to make it worse, BuyHPI dont ship overseas
Old 04-23-2004, 01:01 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreylin
the 414MII is as competitive today as 2 years ago. The same goes for the EVO3.
True. But will there be anymore development? No. I like the XRay style way better. Keep on refining the same basic concept.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:22 AM   #36
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by g4t2
Three letters, three numbers: T R F 4 1 5
You'll pay just for the three letters....the three numbers is just the price tag

I'd say Tamiya Evo III...one-ways kinda suck anyway IMO
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:50 AM   #37
Tech Addict

I want the shaftdrive, diffs and chassis from TC3 (nearly bulletproof in my experience) and the suspension parts from X-ray (strong, adjustable and well designed).

I like the batterys on one side and the electric stuff on the other side. Just my personal preferences.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 07:04 PM   #38
Tech Initiate

Ok guys....so here's where it's at. I think my choice will come down to either the xray evo 2 or the Pro 4 depending on weather I want to have belt or shaft drive. I think these are both great cars but I am trying to decide between belt and shaft drive. I have never driven a shaft drive before but tomorrow I will be trying a friends TC3. I realize that the parts support for the Pro 4 isn't as great as the xray but I'm sure it soon will be. Decisions..lol
RaveOn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 08:03 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by RaveOn!
Ok guys....so here's where it's at. I think my choice will come down to either the xray evo 2 or the Pro 4 depending on weather I want to have belt or shaft drive. I think these are both great cars but I am trying to decide between belt and shaft drive. I have never driven a shaft drive before but tomorrow I will be trying a friends TC3. I realize that the parts support for the Pro 4 isn't as great as the xray but I'm sure it soon will be. Decisions..lol
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU
war11x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 08:43 PM   #40
Tech Apprentice

get the xray ive got one and my freind have one were the only ones that use them but they are truly the best car out there i think
tamiya has way to many problems from what ive seen with any of there cars
pro 4 is a great car and the only other car i would buy i think
xray is also the good cause they use the same basic layout and im prove it
cencalballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 08:56 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you had to make a choice now, get the xray factory kit. the pro 4 seems to be having similar issues as the tamiya evo III, even if people don't want to admit it. the xray has better parts support and plenty of resources at mytsn.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:28 PM   #42
Tech Apprentice

true... true the xray is awesome u will ne er need to upgrade the car either pretty much which is nicei got the evo 2 and that is plenty good get either the f.k. or a used evo 2 like i did
cencalballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 11:27 PM   #43
Tech Master

If I were making the choice as a first car...I'd choose HPI Pro 4

Both cars are GREAT & I'd do well with either one but I'd rather drive the Pro-4. Parts availibility (atleast around here) is much better (it'll be easier AND cheaper to get both replacement parts and hop-ups for the Pro-4) and the shaft drive is much more efficient in getting the power from the motor to the tires. Unfortunetly the best hop-up for either car is a ball-diff If you like the one way I'd suggest the backing plate from http://www.teamprpracing.com/ That will prevent you from stripping one-way gears every time you hit something.
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote