R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-20-2004, 06:08 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Exclamation Reedy/Yokomo " COBALT " Stock Motor

This is from "Big Jim" website.....quote & un-quote ::::

http://www.bigjimracing.com/

Yokomo/Reedy "Cobalt" Stock Motor - PRE-ORDERS
PRE-ORDERS ONLY. Confirmed shipping date not yet available.
You will be placed on a waiting list. Your order confirmation will be emailed to you.
Orders for new motors must be placed through Team Paradigm, the exclusive distributor of all Big Jim Products.
$40 (domestic shipping included).

Another one on the way...........

Last edited by jeepnyy; 04-20-2004 at 06:24 PM.
jeepnyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 06:36 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

if you would have read more you would also read that he gave people refunds becuase reedy decided that it was no better then the mvp and canceled production
Kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 06:46 PM   #3
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

That's been on his web site for about 1 1/2 years now. If you check out his forum he said that he has no idea when the motor will be available. For those that did pre-order one, he is not refunding their money but he will let them purchase something else worth the same amount of their deposit.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 06:54 PM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

I couldn't find where Big Jim stated the Cobalt was not any better than the MVP. In fact he has been saying that it will be the best stock motor ever and the MVP is not close to being the best stock ever. He is not taking anymore pre-orders becuase he is not sure when or even if the motor will ever be available.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:22 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

funny
Old 04-20-2004, 08:29 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Read even further and you'll find that the Cobalt is basically a dead issue BUT Jim and the folks at Team Br00d motors are building up a motor of their own based on some of the Cobalt technology. Check out the forum at www.rccars.com.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 06:37 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Big Jim, he has no say so in that motor anymore they took him off
that project a while now, he offer to replace other stuff for the money what kind of person will do that? ask yourself is this a person that you can trust? you place a order for a item and he will
not refund your money but will give you something that you did
not order, guys you should check yourself to see if your not been
rob blind.
Dr Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:51 AM   #8
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I have had dealing with Big Jim on previous products and haven't had any issues, he ships fast and keeps you informed on the status of your item in question.

As for places that only refund you a credit to the store, I have seen places do this before in alot of different things, nothing new.

Does it suck if you want your cash back, true, it does. But if you wanted a Big Jim Cobalt stock motor, most likely you wanted it tuned by him, not just the plain jane motor. So I figure alot of the buyers may just order a Big Jim MVP motor.

Would I do the same if it was me as the guy who setup the preorders and now doesn't have a motor to show for it, probably not. But I don't think he is trying to rip anyone off in that sense since you are getting a store credit, he could have just kept the pre-order going for how long since officially no word about a dead Cobalt project has ever been stated by Associated, let alone a project about a Cobalt motor at all.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:20 AM   #9
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

the bottom line is this...he pre sold a motor that does not exist....and now, willl not refund the cash.....
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:21 AM   #10
Tech Adept

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cain
[B]I have had dealing with Big Jim on previous products and haven't had any issues, he ships fast and keeps you informed on the status of your item in question.

Cain, I have a different opinion about what you said, let's put it this way a friend ordered a item from Jim 3 months ago and he
tried to contact Jim and this is what is said after 3months I will let you know when your order is done and this is not a cobalt,
so where did you get fast and informed from? my friend took it as a lost and will not order any thing from him again, and to top it all
the guy still did not get a refund or fast and informed on the status of his order, can you answer that for me science you haven't had any issues.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:28 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The Big Jim forums used to be a good source of information. Now, they are useful if you want an education on his ego. I stopped reading it because I was so tired of his use of "Japs" in a derrogatory sense, and his general supremacy over all others in his field. If it's not Big Jim, it's crap right?

Per Big Jim, the MVP is the best Stocker out there still, and the last good Trinity motor was the P2k (just happens to be the last motor he designed.)

As for the Reedy Motor, if/when it comes out I'll buy one or three for sure.

Blake

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:44 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Blake, you hit the nail on the head.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:54 AM   #13
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

While I know nothing about his orders, I can tell you some info posted here was incorrect.

Jim has FOREVER said the Cobalt was the best stock motor he ever put on his dyno or on the track. The reason the motor was not made was because the japanese motor company gave an insane price qoute to build it.....

And Big Jim doesn't declare the MVP the best stocker out there.....he just doesn't like Trinity very much, so he pushes the MVP, which can be fast if tuned right.

If you search his forums, you will find quotes from Jim sayingthe P2k2 is the fastest production stocker he has ever tested....not sure where you get the p2k is....

While he has an ego, so do a lot of people......its just something you have to live with if you want the info....I've been getting him to tame down lately....

It is true, Team br00d is coming out with a new stock motor based on some of the unused technology of the Cobalt motor.....we are also working on a new large modified. Pics can be seen over on big jim's forums at www.rccars.com under the Whats' Jim working on now thread.....

Later EddieO
Old 04-22-2004, 11:09 AM   #14
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

As for your friends experience with Big Jim, not sure. All I know is this, if there was a major problem with people getting contact with Big Jim I think you would see more posts on it.

Every question that I have asked him he has answered, albeit you can tell when he is getting testy but with my money I send him he has been nothing but professional.

should Big Jim took pre-orders for a motor that wasn't acknowledged by associated? thats the big question. Should people have ordered a motor that wasn't acknowledged by associated and had no official date from associated when it would be out let alone that it did exist other than Big Jim stating that it was in development, thats another question.

For your friend being out of his money, that sucks and I know the feeling, but I think he should stay on top of getting satisifaction. Like I have said I haven't seen a post on here saying "Big Jim, where's my Money" or anything like that on any of the boards. These boards really have some use on getting satisfaction, and he should give them a shot.

Prime example, i had a problem with Road Rage Hobbies, order something from them, lucky if you get any email back or your item. It took alittle while, but I eventually got my stuff after using these boards on the net to the fullest extent. you friend may want to try and do that, not just write it off.

Big Jim says that he will store credit the money, but he is backed up with 6 months of orders for MVP motors. I know that he is working on tuned 19 turn Quad mags, maybe your friend can contact him about those? or, see if he can get the amount he payed to count towards something at Team Paradigm since big jim stuff is sold there, maybe that is a possibility.

Just don't give up on getting satisfaction.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:44 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by EddieO
It is true, Team br00d is coming out with a new stock motor based on some of the unused technology of the Cobalt motor.....we are also working on a new large modified. Pics can be seen over on big jim's forums at www.rccars.com under the Whats' Jim working on now thread.....

Later EddieO [/B]
That's cool if they are coming out with it. Wonder how that will work. I can't imagine that legally Big Jim would be able to use that technology he developed for Reedy. If not, Reedy made a HUGE mistake by not securing their own trade secrets/R&D.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote