R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Reedy/Yokomo " COBALT " Stock Motor (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/38811-reedy-yokomo-cobalt-stock-motor.html)

jeepnyy 04-20-2004 05:08 PM

Reedy/Yokomo " COBALT " Stock Motor

This is from "Big Jim" website.....quote & un-quote ::::

http://www.bigjimracing.com/

Yokomo/Reedy "Cobalt" Stock Motor - PRE-ORDERS
PRE-ORDERS ONLY. Confirmed shipping date not yet available.
You will be placed on a waiting list. Your order confirmation will be emailed to you.
Orders for new motors must be placed through Team Paradigm, the exclusive distributor of all Big Jim Products.
$40 (domestic shipping included).

Another one on the way...........:nod: :nod: :lol: :lol:

Kave 04-20-2004 05:36 PM

if you would have read more you would also read that he gave people refunds becuase reedy decided that it was no better then the mvp and canceled production

koabich 04-20-2004 05:46 PM

That's been on his web site for about 1 1/2 years now. If you check out his forum he said that he has no idea when the motor will be available. For those that did pre-order one, he is not refunding their money but he will let them purchase something else worth the same amount of their deposit.

koabich 04-20-2004 05:54 PM

I couldn't find where Big Jim stated the Cobalt was not any better than the MVP. In fact he has been saying that it will be the best stock motor ever and the MVP is not close to being the best stock ever. He is not taking anymore pre-orders becuase he is not sure when or even if the motor will ever be available.

R/C Anonymous 04-20-2004 07:22 PM

funny :lol:

Evoracer 04-20-2004 07:29 PM

Read even further and you'll find that the Cobalt is basically a dead issue BUT Jim and the folks at Team Br00d motors are building up a motor of their own based on some of the Cobalt technology. Check out the forum at www.rccars.com.

Dr Smooth 04-22-2004 05:37 AM

Big Jim, he has no say so in that motor anymore they took him off
that project a while now, he offer to replace other stuff for the money what kind of person will do that? ask yourself is this a person that you can trust? you place a order for a item and he will
not refund your money but will give you something that you did
not order, guys you should check yourself to see if your not been
rob blind.

Cain 04-22-2004 06:51 AM

I have had dealing with Big Jim on previous products and haven't had any issues, he ships fast and keeps you informed on the status of your item in question.

As for places that only refund you a credit to the store, I have seen places do this before in alot of different things, nothing new.

Does it suck if you want your cash back, true, it does. But if you wanted a Big Jim Cobalt stock motor, most likely you wanted it tuned by him, not just the plain jane motor. So I figure alot of the buyers may just order a Big Jim MVP motor.

Would I do the same if it was me as the guy who setup the preorders and now doesn't have a motor to show for it, probably not. But I don't think he is trying to rip anyone off in that sense since you are getting a store credit, he could have just kept the pre-order going for how long since officially no word about a dead Cobalt project has ever been stated by Associated, let alone a project about a Cobalt motor at all.

Matt M. 04-22-2004 07:20 AM

the bottom line is this...he pre sold a motor that does not exist....and now, willl not refund the cash.....

Dr Smooth 04-22-2004 07:21 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cain
[B]I have had dealing with Big Jim on previous products and haven't had any issues, he ships fast and keeps you informed on the status of your item in question.

Cain, I have a different opinion about what you said, let's put it this way a friend ordered a item from Jim 3 months ago and he
tried to contact Jim and this is what is said after 3months I will let you know when your order is done and this is not a cobalt,
so where did you get fast and informed from? my friend took it as a lost and will not order any thing from him again, and to top it all
the guy still did not get a refund or fast and informed on the status of his order, can you answer that for me science you haven't had any issues.

dr_hfuhuhurr 04-22-2004 07:28 AM

The Big Jim forums used to be a good source of information. Now, they are useful if you want an education on his ego. I stopped reading it because I was so tired of his use of "Japs" in a derrogatory sense, and his general supremacy over all others in his field. If it's not Big Jim, it's crap right?

Per Big Jim, the MVP is the best Stocker out there still, and the last good Trinity motor was the P2k (just happens to be the last motor he designed.)

As for the Reedy Motor, if/when it comes out I'll buy one or three for sure.

Blake

Dr Smooth 04-22-2004 07:44 AM

Blake, you hit the nail on the head.

EddieO 04-22-2004 09:54 AM

While I know nothing about his orders, I can tell you some info posted here was incorrect.

Jim has FOREVER said the Cobalt was the best stock motor he ever put on his dyno or on the track. The reason the motor was not made was because the japanese motor company gave an insane price qoute to build it.....

And Big Jim doesn't declare the MVP the best stocker out there.....he just doesn't like Trinity very much, so he pushes the MVP, which can be fast if tuned right.

If you search his forums, you will find quotes from Jim sayingthe P2k2 is the fastest production stocker he has ever tested....not sure where you get the p2k is....

While he has an ego, so do a lot of people......its just something you have to live with if you want the info....I've been getting him to tame down lately....

It is true, Team br00d is coming out with a new stock motor based on some of the unused technology of the Cobalt motor.....we are also working on a new large modified. Pics can be seen over on big jim's forums at www.rccars.com under the Whats' Jim working on now thread.....

Later EddieO

Cain 04-22-2004 10:09 AM

As for your friends experience with Big Jim, not sure. All I know is this, if there was a major problem with people getting contact with Big Jim I think you would see more posts on it.

Every question that I have asked him he has answered, albeit you can tell when he is getting testy but with my money I send him he has been nothing but professional.

should Big Jim took pre-orders for a motor that wasn't acknowledged by associated? thats the big question. Should people have ordered a motor that wasn't acknowledged by associated and had no official date from associated when it would be out let alone that it did exist other than Big Jim stating that it was in development, thats another question.

For your friend being out of his money, that sucks and I know the feeling, but I think he should stay on top of getting satisifaction. Like I have said I haven't seen a post on here saying "Big Jim, where's my Money" or anything like that on any of the boards. These boards really have some use on getting satisfaction, and he should give them a shot.

Prime example, i had a problem with Road Rage Hobbies, order something from them, lucky if you get any email back or your item. It took alittle while, but I eventually got my stuff after using these boards on the net to the fullest extent. you friend may want to try and do that, not just write it off.

Big Jim says that he will store credit the money, but he is backed up with 6 months of orders for MVP motors. I know that he is working on tuned 19 turn Quad mags, maybe your friend can contact him about those? or, see if he can get the amount he payed to count towards something at Team Paradigm since big jim stuff is sold there, maybe that is a possibility.

Just don't give up on getting satisfaction.

dr_hfuhuhurr 04-22-2004 11:44 AM

Originally posted by EddieO
It is true, Team br00d is coming out with a new stock motor based on some of the unused technology of the Cobalt motor.....we are also working on a new large modified. Pics can be seen over on big jim's forums at www.rccars.com under the Whats' Jim working on now thread.....

Later EddieO [/B]
That's cool if they are coming out with it. Wonder how that will work. I can't imagine that legally Big Jim would be able to use that technology he developed for Reedy. If not, Reedy made a HUGE mistake by not securing their own trade secrets/R&D.

jeepnyy 04-22-2004 12:05 PM

Originally posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
That's cool if they are coming out with it. Wonder how that will work. I can't imagine that legally Big Jim would be able to use that technology he developed for Reedy. If not, Reedy made a HUGE mistake by not securing their own trade secrets/R&D.
That sounds very interesting to say the least....new motor to come out....inspite of what is going on with "quad" magnet outlaws and what-have-you's. I'am sure that is with the blessing from mike reedy....or they could be behind the r&d too.

As for dealing with Big Jim....I have not qualms at all. I just recently ordered a Fiddlestick and got it within 3-4 business days. Indeed, i'am planning on getting their signature stock motors too, but i'll probably wait a little while in as much that someone here mention that they are back-ordered. iam sure if there will ever be any problem, Big Jim will treat it in a professional manner.

EddieO 04-22-2004 07:56 PM

The armature is the only design idea that will be used and Jim had it LONG before he worked at Reedy.....the rest of the motor will share nothing with the old design. I didn't like the can or the endbell designs that much.....

The first versions of the motor will meet all ROAR specs, except for the extended arm shaft with a taper......which will only be until I work out a deal with the Japanese company to put the arm blank I need on the correct shaft.

Later EddieO

Dr Smooth 04-23-2004 05:49 AM

Hi everyone, this is what is said by you racist and self righteous
Big Jim,

Quote:
some of these towel-head terrorists we have taken prisoner.

Com'on preznit Bush. Save lives and money. Pull us out now and nuke Bagdad and be done with it. Let the mice and cockroaches have it.

if it's not the Japs or towel-head then it's some other race
and that is the man you said that is a professional man, come on
I have a Brother that is fighting in Iraq and he is not saying what
Big Jim is saying, he is a RUMHEAD and a BIGOT and for RUMHEAD
that mean ALCOHOLIC stop supporting this Racist and let him drown in his addiction.

Cain 04-23-2004 06:44 AM

I think its best that Big Jim respond to this as far as the towel head and Japs comments.

I haven't had any racial issues with him, and just by looking at the pay receipt he gets from paypal when I pay him he can tell I am not white or aryan or whatever and he has always responded to the numerous questions I post with the same testyness that he gives to everyone else. :)

dr_hfuhuhurr 04-23-2004 09:22 AM

Originally posted by Cain
I think its best that Big Jim respond to this as far as the towel head and Japs comments.

I haven't had any racial issues with him, and just by looking at the pay receipt he gets from paypal when I pay him he can tell I am not white or aryan or whatever and he has always responded to the numerous questions I post with the same testyness that he gives to everyone else. :)

That just means that he'll take anyone's money...

Formula1fan 04-23-2004 09:29 AM

Didn't he use to work for Integy? Man if any of this is even close to true, I am done with Team Paradigm motors.

dr_hfuhuhurr 04-23-2004 09:31 AM

Read through his forum on rccars.com and it's all there.

kaizen 04-23-2004 09:45 AM

Originally posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
The Big Jim forums used to be a good source of information. Now, they are useful if you want an education on his ego. I stopped reading it because I was so tired of his use of "Japs" in a derrogatory sense, and his general supremacy over all others in his field. If it's not Big Jim, it's crap right?

Per Big Jim, the MVP is the best Stocker out there still, and the last good Trinity motor was the P2k (just happens to be the last motor he designed.)

As for the Reedy Motor, if/when it comes out I'll buy one or three for sure.

Blake

I've got to agree with you, Blake. These comments are the reason why I stopped buying and using Jim's products. I am sad to say that I also have two copies of his book - which I had planned to give to friends. And (shy of burning them) I am not sure what else to do with them.

I also heard that Reedy was no longer working with him and, if that is true, I am glad. Because, although I am a fan of Reedy's products, I won't knowingly purchase anything associated with Jim Greenmeyer.

Cheers,
Stu

dr_hfuhuhurr 04-23-2004 10:05 AM

I'm not on a crusade against Big Jim, that's not my intent at all. Just don't agree with his comments, and when I see people stick up for his actions it just burns me.

Even if the Japanese manufacturer didn't want to make the Cobalt, I doubt it was simply for the fact that we are Americans and they don't like us. They probably did the math and at this time for that product, the numbers didn't match up. Respect that or find another manufacturer, don't result to name calling and bashing someone's race...

As I've always said, there is only one legitimate prejudice and that is stupidity. :D

jeepnyy 04-23-2004 11:32 AM

Let it be known that I did not start this thread with an intention of bashing Big Jim. This thread was started in the hope of finding info about the "Cobalt" motor. Please keep it that way. Thank you

Cain 04-23-2004 03:52 PM

Actually if you truely are a racist you don't. A real racist doesn't and I have seen how they act.

Here is his response that he sent me to post:

Gee, is someone offended that I called the people that are killing American soldiers, Towel-Head Terrorists? I have a lot worse names I could call these people. And this was a direct reference to those murders and not to the Iraqi people in general.
Who is sticking up for these people? No American should be. People will always say what they want.
It also is a testimony to the integrity of the site that allows that senseless personal bashing to go on. I don't control what's said on the Commentary topic but I do on all the motor topics on my forum. I don't tolerate that kind of behavior.
Feel free to post this on my behalf.

BIG JIM

Formula1fan 04-23-2004 05:58 PM

What about the “Jap” reference?

Cain 04-23-2004 07:15 PM

Well, each his own opinion. If you want clarification on the Jap's and Towelheads comments, feel free to contact Jim via email or what have you.

Anyway, whatever this new motor is going to be, I hope that they shoot for similar durability like the Peak Vantage motors. I think more runtime and less maintenance should be something they shoot for.

futureal 04-23-2004 10:39 PM

It also is a testimony to the integrity of the site that allows that senseless personal bashing to go on. I don't control what's said on the Commentary topic but I do on all the motor topics on my forum. I don't tolerate that kind of behavior.
As always, Big Jim ends anything having to do with R/C Tech with an attack on this site. Funny how even though I specifically stayed out of this thread, I STILL got attacked.

Cain 04-24-2004 05:47 AM

Actually futureal I think Big Jim has a point. This thread was for a discussion of the cobalt motor and somehow turned into a disccusion about if he is a racist or not :weird:

futureal 04-24-2004 10:53 PM

So, you would rather we restrict what people can say on here?

There are things we DO moderate here. Specifically foul language and unwarranted bashing or personal attacks, as well as anything that would be inappropriate for a PG audience.

However, we're not going to close a thread just because it has strayed from the topic. That happens pretty regularly around this or any other forum -- and even if we did want to, we just don't have the moderating forces to do it.

In this case, the question was presented in a manner that referenced BJ. The discussion naturally lead to a discussion about why BJ would post something like that about a motor that was never produced. One or more people posted related experiences about BJ and the unreleased motor. At least one other posted paraphrased quotes from BJ about one thing or another, things that he supposedly posted publicly. Others then responded to said quotes.

Nowhere in this exchange do I see anything that needs to be moderated, other than the thread straying from its original topic. There is no profanity, there is no out-of-the-blue attack on BJ or anybody else, just some controversy over comments he supposedly made.

If people would prefer to visit a forum where they must stay absolutely on topic in every thread and cannot post their opinions about some one or some thing, they are free to leave this one. That has always been our policy, and will continue to be our policy for as long as I am in control. If someone started talking about how they thought I was a poor webmaster, I wouldn't close that thread either.

stumper1 04-24-2004 11:52 PM

If people would prefer to visit a forum where they must stay absolutely on topic in every thread and cannot post their opinions about some one or some thing, they are free to leave this one. That has always been our policy, and will continue to be our policy for as long as I am in control. If someone started talking about how they thought I was a poor webmaster, I wouldn't close that thread either.

Well said!!:nod:

MR JOLLY 04-25-2004 01:12 AM

futureal
I think you are doing a grand job this site is GOOD
I live in the UK & we got a forum called RCRACECHAT & man is that restrictedyou can`t
1)stray off topic
2)mentioned names of shops(must use pm)no advertising
3)moaning about anybody or anything
eg i ask on the forum `what do you think of pmr,fmr,surge batteries` i didn`t say i was importing the items through my new company, just ask a question to get some feed back, & it resulted in a 1 week ban from the RCRACECHAT site for advertising. I was`nt worried about it
RACECHAT hase`nt got as many members as you by a long shot,
RCTECH.NET should stay as it is cause it works if you want proof just look at how many topics the people have started i reckon you cover almost everything in rc racing, & i/we learn such alot of things through this website
so STICK WITH IT
like futureal said IF YOU DON`T LIKE IT THE DOOR IS ALWAYS OPEN FOR YOU TO LEAVE (least you don`t have to sign up like the army)

Cain 04-25-2004 05:21 AM

Actually I don't see how Big Jim being accused a racist has to do with the Cobalt motor thread. Thats like saying the sun rotates because I spun an armature on earth. :weird:

IThe issue is when discussion is supposed to be about the Cobalt motor, how does Big Jim being accused of racism matter?

Unless someone can show me where being an accused racist some how affects the motor ( when I see that white armature with the red winding and nazi swatiska shaped stacks, then ok! :D ), I am not going to see how that is on topic, and this is coming from a guy who has experienced what Big Jim is accused of doing / being.

Now to all you guys and you futureal, you guys provide great info and ask great questions and I value the input of ALL of you.

I just don't want these boards that I value turn into something where we spend more timing bashing or accusing someone of something instead of discussion the hobby we all love, regardless if someone is involved with our hobby or not.

Since it appears we won't ever get back ON topic, I consider this thread dead, shame too, I was very interested in some of you guys thoughts on this motor.

Cain 04-25-2004 05:36 AM

To jeepnyy

I am sorry that your thread has turned into this, it seems no one listened to what you stated not too many posts ago about what your intentions were for?

Let it be known that I did not start this thread with an intention of bashing Big Jim. This thread was started in the hope of finding info about the "Cobalt" motor. Please keep it that way. Thank you
:tire:

sharkman 04-25-2004 07:53 AM

Since it appears we won't ever get back ON topic, I consider this thread dead, shame too, I was very interested in some of you guys thoughts on this motor.

What motor, It does not exist. How can anyone offer an opinion on a motor nobody has run or seen.:rolleyes:

dr_hfuhuhurr 04-25-2004 10:28 AM

Pulled from an e-mail from Big Jim...

Subject: "You should change the name of your website"

"....to "No Brains".

Thanks for showing your true colors on RC "Chat Room" Tech. Don't come back to my forum. We don't want your kind posting.

BIG JIM"

My two word response is not fit for the forums.

However, I will respect your wishes and not visit your forums. I'm proud of the "colors" I've shown here...are you?

trf racer 04-25-2004 10:54 AM

Originally posted by MR JOLLY
futureal
I think you are doing a grand job this site is GOOD
I live in the UK & we got a forum called RCRACECHAT & man is that restrictedyou can`t
1)stray off topic
2)mentioned names of shops(must use pm)no advertising
3)moaning about anybody or anything
eg i ask on the forum `what do you think of pmr,fmr,surge batteries` i didn`t say i was importing the items through my new company, just ask a question to get some feed back, & it resulted in a 1 week ban from the RCRACECHAT site for advertising. I was`nt worried about it
RACECHAT hase`nt got as many members as you by a long shot,
RCTECH.NET should stay as it is cause it works if you want proof just look at how many topics the people have started i reckon you cover almost everything in rc racing, & i/we learn such alot of things through this website
so STICK WITH IT
like futureal said IF YOU DON`T LIKE IT THE DOOR IS ALWAYS OPEN FOR YOU TO LEAVE (least you don`t have to sign up like the army)

so hows the battery buissness treating you colin?

MR JOLLY 04-25-2004 11:26 AM

at the moment it is brill
should i start another thread? this ones for cobalt motors i think!

nomaak 04-25-2004 12:28 PM

hey y'all! how ya dooin? been readin this post for a few hours and i was wondering..... how come noone suggeted what motor reedy should build? i have an idea or two. 1) since reedy started the "quad wars", (not clone wars, get it:lol: ) with mod. it should only be natural that they start it with stock. but they didn't. they went to 19 turn. which is cool 'cause the 513 is plenty fast!!
but here's my idae for the reedy stocker: use the 513 set-up with quad magnets and use the tri-rotor arm from the integy V10R.

now i know this may seem a little frankesteinish but aren't YOKOMO, TOP , and ATLAS all related in some way? the reason why i ask is because the YOK27 and the TOP27 arms seem to be identical....especially with the "power tunnels" going through the lam segments. and if you look at the ATLAS27 arm...it has the same "tunnels". although it has the appearance of the Greenmachine3. so i say why not throw it all together and have the best of ALL worlds!!!!!! muhahaha!!:deathstar