R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #706
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
Yes, we do engineering and graphite mfg for other companies (like the new TOP Chassis used by their team at the Birds) but my main focus is still on CEFX and furthering our development and product line.
It's good to see some healing in your relationship with TOP.

I would love to see a full TC kit from CEFX. No parts from anyone else. The stuff you listed on your Snowbird car. Its neat to see someone who is able to grab stuff out of the industry parts bin and then make the pieces that they need to whip it into a usable chassis for a race.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #707
Tech Master

peter - No problem, honestly I'm not 100% sure if anything special has to be done to the Futaba charger inside. I had sent mine over to Tony at Power Push to check out. Otherwise, I just use mine with the mah cranked up so it never hits the limit (like 8,000mah) and adjust the charge rate as normal. From there, I just adjust the voltage cut off depending on the track's volt meter. For example, at the Birds I set my charger to 4.235v and it was perfect at 4.22 in tech. I used my Thunder Power charger for 2s as I didn't have a deans adapter wired up for the Futaba. I know it works though as I had a deans on it at the WC and charged both 1s and 2s packs there. Same thing, adjust the voltage cut off and it should be good to go.

V12 - I don't know if anyone took any or posted some but I will take some asap and get them posted. It's just our production WGT as is the 1/12th car. I got a small photo booth set-up from my family for my B-day so I'll get it up and running to take some pics and get a set-up posted.

snoopy - No healing there with HK office but I never had problems with EJ and Michael at TOP USA. Trust me, we would love to make a full kit but it's out of our financial reach right now. All we can do is continue to make what we can and grow.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #708
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Josh,
Any chance you might make it to Indy for the last leg of the Grandslam?? Keven is coming and I know a few other mod guys are making plans.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #709
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
. Remember, CEFX is 2.... Count 'em... 2 people. Myself and my wife Angel. We handle the Shepherd Micro Racing sales in the US as well as the CEFX sales and production around the world. Every single piece of graphite that goes into a package from CEFX passes through my hands.
Which is why I prefer supporting your business. Great products and someone willing to help trackside. Will check out the .net site this week
Old 02-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #710
Tech Master

Miller - At this point, I would have to say I won't be there. I might not be going to the ROAR Nats or Reedy Race either due to cash flow - At this point I rather stay home and save for more CEFX products to fill out our kits rather than go to another race. If I can somehow go to any of these and keep the cost really low I might try but with travel, entries and tires it's just a lot to handle all these races and keep CEFX headed in the direction I want as fast as I want.

Carl - Sounds good and thanks!! I recieved word in my e-mails after the Birds that the new www.cefx.net site is coming along and I just have to work on the txt for the site so that will be on my list of to-do's tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully, I can get that site up and running again as soon as possible.

Time for a UPS run!!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #711
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
peter - No problem, honestly I'm not 100% sure if anything special has to be done to the Futaba charger inside. I had sent mine over to Tony at Power Push to check out. Otherwise, I just use mine with the mah cranked up so it never hits the limit (like 8,000mah) and adjust the charge rate as normal. From there, I just adjust the voltage cut off depending on the track's volt meter. For example, at the Birds I set my charger to 4.235v and it was perfect at 4.22 in tech. I used my Thunder Power charger for 2s as I didn't have a deans adapter wired up for the Futaba. I know it works though as I had a deans on it at the WC and charged both 1s and 2s packs there. Same thing, adjust the voltage cut off and it should be good to go.
Thanks man, I'll give it a try! I don't have one in front of me to refer to the user interface at the moment but I imagine that you just use a NiMH linear charge mode? I'm stoked on the fact that it has up to 12amp charge and 40amp discharge modes.

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
peter_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #712
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Charger

Is there a link to the Futaba charger?
Old 02-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #713
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood View Post
Is there a link to the Futaba charger?
They don't make them anymore as far as I know, but this is the charger we are discussing.

http://www.rceasy.com/images/news/futaba/cdr5000.jpg

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
peter_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #714
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

How much of a gain do you get from charging to say 4.22v instead of 4.2v?

I run 17.5 boosted TC and found Josh's comment very interesting...

Does it reduce the life of the pack?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #715
Tech Apprentice

hi josh hope your feeling well soon.
I have also had a bowing chassis hence i bought a new chassis and motor mounts off you last december which i have not tried out yet.
The problem seems to be coming from the middle screw area on the motor mounts ,they seem to be very weak and made out of a soft material so they can be bent very easily.
I also found that the chassis could be bent slightly upwards in this area(with motor mounts removed) and how can i check if i have the new mounts i have are up to your standards?
mcb-jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:58 AM   #716
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE=TeamWTF;8597026]How much of a gain do you get from charging to say 4.22v instead of 4.2v?

one of my chargers charges between 4.28 to 4.3 per cell.I havn't notice any difference in performce or life of battery
mcb-jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #717
Tech Master

peter - It doesn't have a specific way to set up different charging modes. You can set-up 8 programs but it's in the set-ups that determines the batteries you are charging.

TeamWTF - Really, I don't think it's much but being I've been racing a lot of 1s oval and it's super close racing you just don't want to leave anything on the table. When I TQ'd the Birds in 1/12 Mod, I didn't get the pack all the way charged and it was only 4.18v in tech but still ran great on the track. You might notice it in the first 1-2 laps of 17.5 spec but I doubt after that. No reduction in life or performance...

mcb-jet - Actually, those mounts are steel and quite hard - ask anyone who's tried to sand them!! I've only seen or hear of 1 being bent on the track (out of about 200pcs) and that was when a racer flew off the track and slammed into a steel posted catch fence (outdoor track) motor first. Smashed the motor pretty good and bent the plate. Of course the chassis will bend upward when the mounts are removed - They are designed to be a major part of the chassis flex - Take the top deck off a normal TC and the same will happen. Just check that the bottom of the motor mounts are flat.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #718
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey Josh, I see that you said you were using the Yokomo gear diffs. Did you use them front and back? Can you give some tips and advice on Break-in,shimming, which weight oil FR/BK, what would be best for mod and 17.5 boosted. And did you doing anything extra to help stop leaks. Thanks
JETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #719
Tech Adept

Default Oval snowbirds 2011

I want to give Josh a special thanks for helping me with that oval car.
That car was daild from the first pack even I used normal tires on all 4 corners as an onroad dude like me will do, as I now nothing about oval. :-)

Alf :-)
alf.skaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #720
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Josh,

Hope you get to feeling better soon. Would you mind verifying/completing the info below? I'm trying to complete some tech info for Snowbirds on rcprogear.com. Thanks!

Mod Sedan
Chassis: CEFX Evo
Motor: Speed Passion (turns?)
ESC: KO Propo
Battery: Thunder Power
Body: ???
Radio: ???
Charger: Futaba
Traction: ???

Mod 1/12
Chassis: CEFX
Motor: ???