Wiki Posts
Search

CEFX 2010 - A new Evolution.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by heretic
I wasn't trying to insult anyone. More than half a millimeter on a machined part has nothing to do with the size of the company. I am just informing. That implies giving facts. Sorry. And this thread is the place to give facts about this car, other than "wow I love the car in the picture, it rocks!" etc.

I think M. Cyrul is delighted to hear the opinion of people who actually saw the build in person, just like any other customer. The car is very, very cleverly designed, I am just stating that on that one kit, there was small defects on manufacturing. This is a high end TC or what? The manufacturing is expected to match the performance, IMO. So while it is NOT a big obstacle to the assembly, especially considering this car is aimed at skilled racers, it has to be mentionned to give objective information. Period . Just sit back, relax and let M. Cyrul handle this if he wants to.

Back on topic, my friend entered his first race with the car and I think he's happy with it. He just tried to get a feeling before changing too many things.

The 2 screws that hold the graphite part holding the spur gear assembly both got loose and caused him to ruin a spur gear. I think since they screw in steel they deserved a dab of threadlock and a generous tightening. Since that he didn't have any other problem.

I tried the car at the end of the day and liked it. I did not fell in love with it like I did when I tried his previous car (xray) but the feeling was good and it took me just a few laps to be able to drive it clean.
I'm glad to hear your feedback....positive input
Old 05-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

j.cyrul
Do you have any plains on making a chassis like that for a 416x?id be really intrestead in that project if so.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think perhaps he has already done this for 416?

A question, does anyone have this car and a T3 also? Carpet rubber. If so I'd like to know what your impressions are.

I recently had a shock..I got a T3 off a friend as an experiment, I use an Mi4LP and I'm very happy with it usually making the A final at my club. So I put the T3 together without adjusting it at all, not expecting much (I had a T2 and did not like), just put the electrics in - and went pole immediately. It was so consistent and easy to drive I was able to make every lap within 0.4 first time I drove it, no mistakes.

Just didn't realise the car could make that much difference. I always thought it down to the driver..So I got a photon donor a few days ago and will get the CEFX asap when the money arrives from the Mi4..

Definitely getting one but please share your opinions on the feeling of the car
Old 06-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hana166
I think perhaps he has already done this for 416?

A question, does anyone have this car and a T3 also? Carpet rubber. If so I'd like to know what your impressions are.

I recently had a shock..I got a T3 off a friend as an experiment, I use an Mi4LP and I'm very happy with it usually making the A final at my club. So I put the T3 together without adjusting it at all, not expecting much (I had a T2 and did not like), just put the electrics in - and went pole immediately. It was so consistent and easy to drive I was able to make every lap within 0.4 first time I drove it, no mistakes.

Just didn't realise the car could make that much difference. I always thought it down to the driver..So I got a photon donor a few days ago and will get the CEFX asap when the money arrives from the Mi4..

Definitely getting one but please share your opinions on the feeling of the car

Hi Hana,
Been driving the TOP Photon since it's birth from Josh's brains and i can say i love the Photon very much, Then came the 2nd child of Josh, CEFX Evo. I swap the car over with the same setting and i can feel the car starts to handle a lot like a perfectly setted car using the same old settings which i just recently got TQ and Won at a local Open. Lap time was 0.1sec faster without even pushing the car like in races. All in all it feels more planted and responsive to my driving technic. Able to hold the sweeper and even make minor adjustment unlike the Photon where most of the time i trying to find consistant grip. Oh tires we use here in local open race are close to Solaris only.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Guys,
Just to share some set-up. Set - up is for a Technical track lay out with Dual Hair pins
Attached Thumbnails CEFX 2010 - A new Evolution.-photon-11.5t-setup-sheet.jpg  
Old 06-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Jackson R/C 17.5 A-Main
Qual 3rd
Fin 7th

Failed with some help The car was strong in the main. Probably needed to free up the car a bit. More concerned about the bite changing for the main as we rolled into the night just after the nitro heat ran for 20 min. Wasnt sure what type of a track we were going to have so I softened up the car.

I was happy for week 2 with the Evo. Better results soon. Post setup info later.
Hey Mark D, what car is Haynes driving?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
Hey Mark D, what car is Haynes driving?
Type-R
Old 06-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Type-R
He's back with Losi huh?
Old 06-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by heretic
I've had the chance to see the Evo conversion that a pal of mine bought along with his photon kit. He's built the car and the result is nice but the manufacturing is far from being as good as expected as far as the CEFX parts are concerned. For instance ther was a BIG "blurr" under the steel motor mount. The guy works as a watchmaker so for him that's no biggie but still , that was a bit disapointing. I am in the process of writing a short review of the build with the pics he took while building, so check www.overrc.com regularly ! it should be ready at the end of the week. The whole site is in French but it's quite easy to translate.
Big blurr?? Please be more specific and let me know the problem as this is the first complaint we've heard about. We don't produce the motor mount in house but we do check the parts as they head out the door but there is always a chance we missed something. If there is a problem with the part, please have him contact us so the part can be sent back for evaluation and replaced. The last thing I want is a customer running with a sub-par part from us.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Josh,

Please explain the bell crank inserts if you don't mind. I see most everyone running number 10, but what is the idea behind 9, and 11. Will I get more steering in one place using 9 then if I was to use say 10?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Default Reedy Report

Well, I am back home and catching up from the Reedy Race. Here's a bit of info on the race:

Thursday I began practice with a very similar set-up to the ROAR Carpet Nats with the exception of the front shock oil and pistons as I went back to a more normal set-up (3 hole pistons, 40wt). Everything was pretty good as I just got used to the track and did a bit of testing with tire additives. Every heat I struggled with this actually until the 3rd actual race of Invite as my car always started terrible and then got better as the run went on. Through practice I tested a little with ackerman inserts, springs, shock positions but I knew that my tire prep was off so it was impossible to tell much until I could make my car start with the traction it had at the 2-3 minute mark of each race. I also distracted myself with running the Tamiya version of the Evo that I built but because of how totally different it drove I stopped running it after the 4th round of practice.

Honestly, I was also very apprehensive as I knew it was the first race with the car on asphalt and on my own at the track. I knew I needed a good showing and with the track being the home track for TOP Racing, I just had a really uncomfortable feeling there at the race which was confirmed by the crowd when I had a good race with EJ in the 3rd race of Invite. I struggled with major understeer in that heat as I finally figured out the additive fairly good. There were a few comments from the crowd towards myself and the Evo which I guess I should have expected. Shame that people can take shots at someone for something they know nothing about. I am sure that if they knew the truth, the comments wouldn't have been made but I guess that's the way it goes. I shouldn't let it bother me but I guess it really has over these past few days......

Sunday morning I rebuilt a few things from the day before as I crashed the car pretty bad in the 4th race the day before. Nothing major was hurt on the car (basically destroyed the body) and I decided to roll the dice and change the entire rear end set-up. Changes in rear toe, roll center, width of suspension mounts, width of wheel hex, camber link, shock position on the suspension arm and camber all proved to be a huge improvement as I had a great day Sunday with a much, much better car. In the end I finished 7th overall (my personal best Reedy ROC finish ever). Looking back at the race, I am very pleased as it could have been better but also much worse. I think if we had the chance to start the race over right now, of course everyone else may be able to gain a little but for sure I would benifit the most with the extra track time, set-up time and tire additive set-up to really have a stronger chance. I'm not delusional to think I would have had a chance against Paul (who was the fastest at the event until the last race when Marc's car was amazing) but I know I would have a much better starting point to race with those top 5 guys.

Thanks to everyone out there for the support and interest in CEFX and the Evolution. With the way the race finished, I am quite happy and confident that with a bit more time and testing we will be much stronger in the races to come.

Back to work.... Germany is fast approaching...
Old 06-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Mark - #9 is the least ackerman, #12 is the most ackerman. Usually, #10 is a good point as the balance is pretty good overall. The #9 may give you more steering in certain corners but I find it to be lazy in chicanes and it seems to me like at the start of the races it has good steering but tends to overheat the front tires more and the car pushes towards the end of the run. From what I have seen though, it's really a preference type set-up depending on how different drivers attack the corners.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Josh, I think everyone who matters knows you WILL make the car work no matter!
trust yourself
Old 06-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hi Josh,

It was nice to talk to you this weekend. It was nice of you to take the time to talk while I could see you were prepping a new body for your car. I will think about what you said about the speed of our cars and the things we could do about it. Great food for thought. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Set-up josh???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.