Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Front Wheel Drive Rules Proposal

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by akura2
Besides... most of the basic rules of RCGT eliminate the benefits of a lot of hop ups... since when has RCGT been too expensive?... it's designed to NOT be... basically run what you brung as long as it fits the basics

17.5... not too expensive.. but not too slow...even playing field

HPI x-patterns.... even playing field... no matter what chassis... the power and handling still have to get to the ground

spoked wheels... no aero advantage

real bodies... no real aero advantage... and they look good

and 7.2-7.4 batteries... if the voltage is too high... your car gets pulled... once again.. no advantage...

so someone that can drive, and knows how to tune suspensions and weight distributions and tranfers, can go in with an el cheapo car (Cyclone S, TT01, E10) and still have a chance...
I didn't say RCGT is too expensive but the cars are too close to normal touring cars. Now you have carbon, titanium, magnesium in EVERY category, even in MINI. There should be at least 1 category which hasn't.

The rest is spot on. Only I think dish wheel rule is not much of an issue becouse real (touring) cars use(d) them too.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Barry White
I didn't say RCGT is too expensive but the cars are too close to normal touring cars. Now you have carbon, titanium, magnesium in EVERY category, even in MINI. There should be at least 1 category which hasn't.

The rest is spot on. Only I think dish wheel rule is not much of an issue because real (touring) cars use(d) them too.
well as far as dish wheels... I think they should be used if the real race car used them... (Ford Mondeo, BMW M3) and where they used them... (ie: the Mondeo only had dish wheels on the rear...)

to be honest, dish wheels or not, doesn't bother me as long as the tires are spec... but that's just one more rule to add or take off... that's why I say keep the RCGT rules as they are already established... I'm just not trying to reinvent the wheel (dished or not).. LOL
Old 05-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have an FF01 special edition... it's the Calsonic Primera that came with it's own can of Tamiya spray paint (I think it's the first time that Tamiya spec'd a paint color for a particular car... like the F60 does now with the Ferrari red)..

I got it from eBay about 4 years ago to replace the green Castrol Primera FF01 I let get tatted and then threw away (big mistake... same thing happened to an original F102... now I keep everything)

it's been completely built and ready to run since then sitting on my shelf... all I need is to switch in my Rx, and charge the battery (which is actually still in the chassis as well... like I said..."ready to run") (I'll take/post pics later)
Here's my Calsonic Primera...
Attached Thumbnails Front Wheel Drive Rules Proposal-a742676-100-calsonic.jpg  
Old 05-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Tech Master

would be nice though to see in the fwd Tamiya/Hpi type real car bodies and no dishes.
The Solaris spoke rims f.i. could be used as a spec wheel, just for the looks of it all. Wheel/tire is really great as well.
Slow motor, stock-software esc's, as the major esc manufacturers are now releasing (blinking led-mode).
17.5t bl, max gearing.

Would be very nice.

BTW I'm a die-hard tc-racer and I'm good with Mazda's LTC's, dishrims for TC.
Just think for fwd another look would be great to distinguish the fwd vs 4wd-TC.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:03 AM
Tech Addict

well as far as dish wheels... I think they should be used if the real race car used them... (Ford Mondeo, BMW M3) and where they used them... (ie: the Mondeo only had dish wheels on the rear...)

to be honest, dish wheels or not, doesn't bother me as long as the tires are spec... but that's just one more rule to add or take off... that's why I say keep the RCGT rules as they are already established... I'm just not trying to reinvent the wheel (dished or not).. LOL
Touring cars used dish wheels front AND rear. I know BMW have, just could't find a pic.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:09 AM
Tech Addict

Also, to me RCGT is just a stupid other deluted TC category. ...But still better then the dumbest category ever: World GT.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PizzaDude
The Solaris spoke rims f.i. could be used as a spec wheel, just for the looks of it all. Wheel/tire is really great as well.
+1
Old 05-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

ttt
Old 05-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Barry White
Touring cars used dish wheels front AND rear. I know BMW have, just could't find a pic.
I had said that... The BMW had dish wheels and the Mercedes 190 EVO had dish wheels, but the Mondeo only had them on the rears...

If we allow dish wheels, I think the old school vented dish wheels should be it... I think you can still get these as a Tamiya rallly wheel set... The full race dish wheels just take away some of the "realism"

but either way, I'm going to run spoked wheel. As I don't really see the advantages of a dished wheel in these slower classes (stronger and more aerodynamic? I've broken plenty of dish wheels in my day... Lol)
Old 05-21-2010, 12:40 AM
Tech Master

I had said that... The BMW had dish wheels and the Mercedes 190 EVO had dish wheels, but the Mondeo only had them on the rears...

If we allow dish wheels, I think the old school vented dish wheels should be it... I think you can still get these as a Tamiya rallly wheel set... The full race dish wheels just take away some of the "realism"

but either way, I'm going to run spoked wheel. As I don't really see the advantages of a dished wheel in these slower classes (stronger and more aerodynamic? I've broken plenty of dish wheels in my day... Lol)
Problem is, when you want use a spec wheel, they are mostly on tc-dish wheels. Not the realistic dish as used in old day DTM and STW races.

Solaris offers a rtr spoked wheel, descent pricing and consistent good traction.
I do not know of any other brand offering a comparable product at this time.
Anyone?
Old 05-21-2010, 04:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default some clarification please...

hiya folks,

My mates and I in Sunny Singapore are waiting with baited breath for the Tamiya FF03 to hit our shores.

I've had very limited experience with FWDs (other then Tamiya minis) and I'm just wondering if they are just like the minis?

-low tire wear on the rear
-slightly higher wear on the fronts (compared to 4wd)
-tendency to throw the rear (except, i'm told, the Yokomo yrf2... which had an incredibly sticky rear end)

I own a FF01 but I'm iffy about driving that around due to the real possibility of getting it damaged.

There will be controlled 4wd touring race here and I'm just wondering if I could actually run a FF03 in either of the classes without being absolutely uncompetitive. I asked the organiser and he is alright with 2wds.

mod class:
-open motor
-sorex 40r tires (controlled)
stock class:
-speed passion v3 11.5t motor (handout)

Which is a likelier possibility of competeting (I don't have to win, just do as well as I can drive, which is to say... not too shoddily)?

Thanks for the info folks!

-Alexander
Old 05-21-2010, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by foampervert
hiya folks,

My mates and I in Sunny Singapore are waiting with baited breath for the Tamiya FF03 to hit our shores.

I've had very limited experience with FWDs (other then Tamiya minis) and I'm just wondering if they are just like the minis?

-low tire wear on the rear
-slightly higher wear on the fronts (compared to 4wd)
-tendency to throw the rear (except, i'm told, the Yokomo yrf2... which had an incredibly sticky rear end)

I own a FF01 but I'm iffy about driving that around due to the real possibility of getting it damaged.

There will be controlled 4wd touring race here and I'm just wondering if I could actually run a FF03 in either of the classes without being absolutely uncompetitive. I asked the organiser and he is alright with 2wds.

mod class:
-open motor
stock class:
-speed passion v3 11.5t motor (handout)

Which is a likelier possibility of competeting (I don't have to win, just do as well as I can drive, which is to say... not too shoddily)?

Thanks for the info folks!

-Alexander
Go with stock.
You won't be able to put down the mod power on the tarmac.
Even 11.5 is pushing it IMO.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Tech Adept

Here we go again..
Old 04-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by The Big Wig
Here we go again..
Dear Muhannad, please elaborate...
BTW thread was dead for almost a year.

Please give your input on the matter.
Surely it'll be appreciated
Old 04-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have some ugly USGT cars from the Scale Nats for ya's...

FWD is legal under USGT rules, with a 50g weight break...Perhaps this should be more, but that was decided before a lot was known about the FWD cars. Maybe 100g? 150?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.