R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #61
Tech Addict
 
Barry White's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: HEAVEN
Posts: 720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akura2 View Post
Besides... most of the basic rules of RCGT eliminate the benefits of a lot of hop ups... since when has RCGT been too expensive?... it's designed to NOT be... basically run what you brung as long as it fits the basics

17.5... not too expensive.. but not too slow...even playing field

HPI x-patterns.... even playing field... no matter what chassis... the power and handling still have to get to the ground

spoked wheels... no aero advantage

real bodies... no real aero advantage... and they look good

and 7.2-7.4 batteries... if the voltage is too high... your car gets pulled... once again.. no advantage...

so someone that can drive, and knows how to tune suspensions and weight distributions and tranfers, can go in with an el cheapo car (Cyclone S, TT01, E10) and still have a chance...
I didn't say RCGT is too expensive but the cars are too close to normal touring cars. Now you have carbon, titanium, magnesium in EVERY category, even in MINI. There should be at least 1 category which hasn't.

The rest is spot on. Only I think dish wheel rule is not much of an issue becouse real (touring) cars use(d) them too.
Barry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #62
Tech Fanatic
 
akura2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paramount, CA
Posts: 810
Send a message via AIM to akura2 Send a message via Yahoo to akura2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry White View Post
I didn't say RCGT is too expensive but the cars are too close to normal touring cars. Now you have carbon, titanium, magnesium in EVERY category, even in MINI. There should be at least 1 category which hasn't.

The rest is spot on. Only I think dish wheel rule is not much of an issue because real (touring) cars use(d) them too.
well as far as dish wheels... I think they should be used if the real race car used them... (Ford Mondeo, BMW M3) and where they used them... (ie: the Mondeo only had dish wheels on the rear...)

to be honest, dish wheels or not, doesn't bother me as long as the tires are spec... but that's just one more rule to add or take off... that's why I say keep the RCGT rules as they are already established... I'm just not trying to reinvent the wheel (dished or not).. LOL
akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #63
Tech Fanatic
 
akura2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paramount, CA
Posts: 810
Send a message via AIM to akura2 Send a message via Yahoo to akura2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akura2 View Post
I have an FF01 special edition... it's the Calsonic Primera that came with it's own can of Tamiya spray paint (I think it's the first time that Tamiya spec'd a paint color for a particular car... like the F60 does now with the Ferrari red)..

I got it from eBay about 4 years ago to replace the green Castrol Primera FF01 I let get tatted and then threw away (big mistake... same thing happened to an original F102... now I keep everything)

it's been completely built and ready to run since then sitting on my shelf... all I need is to switch in my Rx, and charge the battery (which is actually still in the chassis as well... like I said..."ready to run") (I'll take/post pics later)
Here's my Calsonic Primera...
Attached Thumbnails
Front Wheel Drive Rules Proposal-a742676-100-calsonic.jpg  
akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:26 AM   #64
Tech Master
 
PizzaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Parts Unkown
Posts: 1,044
Default

would be nice though to see in the fwd Tamiya/Hpi type real car bodies and no dishes.
The Solaris spoke rims f.i. could be used as a spec wheel, just for the looks of it all. Wheel/tire is really great as well.
Slow motor, stock-software esc's, as the major esc manufacturers are now releasing (blinking led-mode).
17.5t bl, max gearing.

Would be very nice.


BTW I'm a die-hard tc-racer and I'm good with Mazda's LTC's, dishrims for TC.
Just think for fwd another look would be great to distinguish the fwd vs 4wd-TC.
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:03 AM   #65
Tech Addict
 
Barry White's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: HEAVEN
Posts: 720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akura2 View Post
well as far as dish wheels... I think they should be used if the real race car used them... (Ford Mondeo, BMW M3) and where they used them... (ie: the Mondeo only had dish wheels on the rear...)

to be honest, dish wheels or not, doesn't bother me as long as the tires are spec... but that's just one more rule to add or take off... that's why I say keep the RCGT rules as they are already established... I'm just not trying to reinvent the wheel (dished or not).. LOL
Touring cars used dish wheels front AND rear. I know BMW have, just could't find a pic.
Barry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:09 AM   #66
Tech Addict
 
Barry White's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: HEAVEN
Posts: 720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akura2 View Post
well as far as dish wheels... I think they should be used if the real race car used them... (Ford Mondeo, BMW M3) and where they used them... (ie: the Mondeo only had dish wheels on the rear...)

to be honest, dish wheels or not, doesn't bother me as long as the tires are spec... but that's just one more rule to add or take off... that's why I say keep the RCGT rules as they are already established... I'm just not trying to reinvent the wheel (dished or not).. LOL
Also, to me RCGT is just a stupid other deluted TC category. ...But still better then the dumbest category ever: World GT.
Barry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #67
Tech Lord
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaDude View Post
The Solaris spoke rims f.i. could be used as a spec wheel, just for the looks of it all. Wheel/tire is really great as well.
+1
__________________
Hebiki Design Works
Custom R/C Vinyl Graphics & Apparel: Your gear, your way!
Web Design - Web Development - Logo Design - Graphic Design
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #68
Tech Master
 
PizzaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Parts Unkown
Posts: 1,044
Default

ttt
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:09 AM   #69
Tech Fanatic
 
akura2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paramount, CA
Posts: 810
Send a message via AIM to akura2 Send a message via Yahoo to akura2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry White View Post
Touring cars used dish wheels front AND rear. I know BMW have, just could't find a pic.
I had said that... The BMW had dish wheels and the Mercedes 190 EVO had dish wheels, but the Mondeo only had them on the rears...

If we allow dish wheels, I think the old school vented dish wheels should be it... I think you can still get these as a Tamiya rallly wheel set... The full race dish wheels just take away some of the "realism"

but either way, I'm going to run spoked wheel. As I don't really see the advantages of a dished wheel in these slower classes (stronger and more aerodynamic? I've broken plenty of dish wheels in my day... Lol)
akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:40 AM   #70
Tech Master
 
PizzaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Parts Unkown
Posts: 1,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akura2 View Post
I had said that... The BMW had dish wheels and the Mercedes 190 EVO had dish wheels, but the Mondeo only had them on the rears...

If we allow dish wheels, I think the old school vented dish wheels should be it... I think you can still get these as a Tamiya rallly wheel set... The full race dish wheels just take away some of the "realism"

but either way, I'm going to run spoked wheel. As I don't really see the advantages of a dished wheel in these slower classes (stronger and more aerodynamic? I've broken plenty of dish wheels in my day... Lol)
Problem is, when you want use a spec wheel, they are mostly on tc-dish wheels. Not the realistic dish as used in old day DTM and STW races.

Solaris offers a rtr spoked wheel, descent pricing and consistent good traction.
I do not know of any other brand offering a comparable product at this time.
Anyone?
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:09 AM   #71
Tech Master
 
foampervert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,388
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to foampervert
Default some clarification please...

hiya folks,

My mates and I in Sunny Singapore are waiting with baited breath for the Tamiya FF03 to hit our shores.

I've had very limited experience with FWDs (other then Tamiya minis) and I'm just wondering if they are just like the minis?

-low tire wear on the rear
-slightly higher wear on the fronts (compared to 4wd)
-tendency to throw the rear (except, i'm told, the Yokomo yrf2... which had an incredibly sticky rear end)

I own a FF01 but I'm iffy about driving that around due to the real possibility of getting it damaged.

There will be controlled 4wd touring race here and I'm just wondering if I could actually run a FF03 in either of the classes without being absolutely uncompetitive. I asked the organiser and he is alright with 2wds.

mod class:
-open motor
-sorex 40r tires (controlled)
stock class:
-speed passion v3 11.5t motor (handout)
-sorex 40r tires (controlled)

Which is a likelier possibility of competeting (I don't have to win, just do as well as I can drive, which is to say... not too shoddily)?

Thanks for the info folks!

-Alexander
__________________
During heats, i use durex for both front and rear, with Hard inserts.

Sorex, i meant Sorex.
foampervert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:10 AM   #72
Tech Master
 
PizzaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Parts Unkown
Posts: 1,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foampervert View Post
hiya folks,

My mates and I in Sunny Singapore are waiting with baited breath for the Tamiya FF03 to hit our shores.

I've had very limited experience with FWDs (other then Tamiya minis) and I'm just wondering if they are just like the minis?

-low tire wear on the rear
-slightly higher wear on the fronts (compared to 4wd)
-tendency to throw the rear (except, i'm told, the Yokomo yrf2... which had an incredibly sticky rear end)

I own a FF01 but I'm iffy about driving that around due to the real possibility of getting it damaged.

There will be controlled 4wd touring race here and I'm just wondering if I could actually run a FF03 in either of the classes without being absolutely uncompetitive. I asked the organiser and he is alright with 2wds.

mod class:
-open motor
-sorex 40r tires (controlled)
stock class:
-speed passion v3 11.5t motor (handout)
-sorex 40r tires (controlled)

Which is a likelier possibility of competeting (I don't have to win, just do as well as I can drive, which is to say... not too shoddily)?

Thanks for the info folks!

-Alexander
Go with stock.
You won't be able to put down the mod power on the tarmac.
Even 11.5 is pushing it IMO.
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #73
Tech Adept
 
The Big Wig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: A.K.A. Barry White
Posts: 151
Default

Here we go again..
The Big Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #74
Tech Master
 
PizzaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Parts Unkown
Posts: 1,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Wig View Post
Here we go again..
Dear Muhannad, please elaborate...
BTW thread was dead for almost a year.

Please give your input on the matter.
Surely it'll be appreciated
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #75
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,587
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

I have some ugly USGT cars from the Scale Nats for ya's...













FWD is legal under USGT rules, with a 50g weight break...Perhaps this should be more, but that was decided before a lot was known about the FWD cars. Maybe 100g? 150?
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:20 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net