Like Tree220Likes

Tamiya FF03

Old 10-16-2018, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by longuylander
You should have hooked up a hamster wheel and let the little ones power your car!
I keep coming back for the hamsters, Nicadrauspro4 get a pan car and hook up a hamster ball to it. Also, Roborovski hamster is the mod in the hamster world they are balls of energy.
Nicadrauspro4 likes this.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:21 AM
Tech Addict

Today I installed the FF03 gear diff and aluminium spur holder hopups. I am very please with the results.

I built the "TA06" gear diff, which is also found in the XV-01 by the way. I used an extra 0.1 shim on each drive cup to reduce bevel gear slop. The diff hopup comes with full steel sun and planetary gears as well as metal cross pins and out drives. The gear diff requires a wider FF03 transmission case. I did not use the supplied diff oil aka damper fluid because in my experience, it is far too thin and usually leaks over time. Instead I used bicycle maintenance grease (a poly lube) to pack the diff. When completed, it provides smooth diff action. I suspect the slight resistance I feel is mostly the bevel gear mesh which will smooth out just enough over time. The extra shims I have found (in my xv-01) greatly help reduce bevel gear slop. It feels like a smooth diff with maybe 10-60k silicone diff fluid. A limited slip differential.

i installed the diff in the wider transmission case. I found the top shaft had a lot of play, so I added a couple of shims there to keep things from shifting side to side. To complete the transmission, the aluminium spur holder is a very nice part which really crowns the whole setup.

I am very surprised how well the upgraded transmission now puts power to the ground. The stock ball diff was smooth, but over time it would begin to slip and power loss would ensue. The steel outdrives and aluminium spur holder really tighten up the throttle response. The result is a much more direct feedback driving machine!

Now all I have to do is find a set of wheels and tires that can take the abuse. I drive mostly on varied tarmac and concrete. Bashing on streets and sidewalks. The car with 17.5t turbo and boosted power is a speed machine. It just EATS tires though. Such is the life of a FWD car.

Does anyone have any suggestions to a long lasting tire setup for bashing? I know a harder tire will result in traction loss and pushing through corners. But with all this new direct power of the gear diff I'd like to find a compromise. I was thinking of using those terrible stock Tamiyas tires. Hard compound might not be so terrible since the car is FWD. Since the rear wheels are not powered, I suspect there will be a lot less oversteer as a result! Anyway your suggestions are appreciated.

I highly recommend the gear diff. Yes.

Drive on friends.
Nicadrauspro4 likes this.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaSilva3525
I haven't done it personally but I remember a lot of FWD 1/10 guys using a shorty battery pack and moving it all the way forward... and putting the ESC inline in the battery tray near the rear. Might help a ton and keep it clean and balanced. Food for thought
In the pursuit of speed. I picked up a 2650mah super shorty pack, and pushed that to the front of my FF03 battery tray.

... I picked up a second a lap.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Speed Chaser
I keep coming back for the hamsters, Nicadrauspro4 get a pan car and hook up a hamster ball to it. Also, Roborovski hamster is the mod in the hamster world they are balls of energy.
They are fast. Really fast.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nerobro
In the pursuit of speed. I picked up a 2650mah super shorty pack, and pushed that to the front of my FF03 battery tray.

... I picked up a second a lap.
Are your receiver and esc both inline with the battery pack which only leaves the servo on the side?
Old 10-18-2018, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Nothing much update except for wires soldering and organizing while waiting for some parts to arrive. Ordered a 200mm x 300mm x 2mm and an 80mm x 120mm x 5mm carbon fiber plates. I will customize a servo tray, ESC tray, rear deck stiffener and rear shock tower.

The yellow outline will be the custom cut carbon fiber parts. It's also amazing that Tamiya had provided holes and a canal under the battery for wires crossing. The red line is where the ESC's wires are passing through towards the RX. The RX will be placed next to the servo while the capacitor will be next to the ESC where the RX should originally be. I might also get a shorter battery.

Last edited by Nicadrauspro4; 10-18-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by superspeed
Are your receiver and esc both inline with the battery pack which only leaves the servo on the side?
No, I was trying to get the CG as far forward as I could. Do the ESC and reciever are servo taped to the side of the tub as far forward as I could manage.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Is the ff03 stabilizer set more just for racing?
Old 10-20-2018, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Sway bars improve the handling by reducing the amount of body roll from side to side. Even if you are not racing, sway bars are still good to have on the car and saves you from scratching the Tamiya lexan body when car is rolling over during a turn.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Hey folks, I got an extra kit FF03 pro in my collection for sale, thanks!
Tamiya FF03 Pro 58463 NIB
Old 10-21-2018, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Ff03 evo ARB

Hii there

can someone share how you mount the front anti rollbar on the ff03 evo please?

i have some problems installing them
Old 10-21-2018, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Got a few items from another local shop.

-Aluminum suspension mount 1A for the rear. Still looking for 3 pieces 1XD though. If anyone have extras, I'm willing to buy them. Send me a PM.

-Aluminum servo mount. It's for RM01 chassis but fits perfectly.

-Changed all screws to hex type. Will eventually change to Ti in time.

Received a call from the mail this morning and my CF 2mm board should arrive today. Will pick up an aluminum bumper mount this week too. I'm really enjoying this slow build.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:55 AM
Tech Master

So my carbon fiber 2mm board had arrived. Excellent quality for $20 (200mm x 300mm x 2mm). I quickly got my hands on it and started working on something. The extended ESC and servo CF trays. Will work on the rear deck stiffener probably tomorrow if I have extra time.

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

Perfect fit!
​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

Test fit of the ESC & Servo
​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
BenjaminX2 likes this.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

Who is your carbon fiber supplier?
Old 10-22-2018, 04:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Speed Chaser
Who is your carbon fiber supplier?
It's a seller from China thru an Asian online shopping site, Lazada.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/-i1286672-s1540834.html?spm=a2o4l.order_details.list_image.. 773b3e17YLUs9H&urlFlag=true&mp=1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.