Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree220Likes

Tamiya FF03

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That's some pretty short gearing. I'm running a 17.5t zero timing and use a 58T spur and 48T pinion. FDR is about 3.2 and its quick!
Old 02-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by torg
With that gearing and motor it was SLOW... Advice around the Tamiya Track was switch to 64p gearing. 88T Spur / 53 Pinion * 2.6 (FF03 internal drive ratio) = ~4.32 FDR

If you do that, you *may* need to get a "standard" 1/16th of an inch hex driver (or 31/97ths of a slice of bread or something similarly nonsensical) for the grub screw. I got some Yeah racing ones and they were metric.

The spacer is a nice idea, but it would affect the balance and center of gravity. Not sure by how much though so it may not matter.

Also you may want to add long screw and nut to your rightmost (unused) hole on the motor stay to help hold the wires up. It looked like yours were resting on top of your camber link, but I see now that they're not

Here's mine, notice the rightmost flathead screw (it's something I added, not part of the instructions). I can take another shot of it for you want to see a different angle.

I had a similar problem on my XV01-Pro, but I cut off the bent portion of the tabs and made them straight... so L -> I then I solder on that part instead.
Thanks the for the info. But how bad is SLOW ... Before I start making modifications to this motor, maybe I should trade it in for a 13.5T. To be honest with you, this car is going to be for occasional parking lot use. I don't intend to race it, I don't even know why I bought a R version
Old 02-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MAXecutive
Thanks the for the info. But how bad is SLOW ... Before I start making modifications to this motor, maybe I should trade it in for a 13.5T. To be honest with you, this car is going to be for occasional parking lot use. I don't intend to race it, I don't even know why I bought a R version
Just build it per instructions and see how it does. If it feels slow, change the gearing, not the motor.

the kit gearing is 6.8 FDR
Old 02-26-2013, 08:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I made some modifications to the Novak Ballistic motor. I bent the tabs back and ended up breaking them. So I decided to solder them at the angle I needed to make the wires come up top without excessive bending. The solder on the middle phase wire is making slight contact with the 1XD suspension mount. Everything else seems fine and I shouldn't have no issues with it ... I hope ...

Old 03-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

Here's a clip of first real test with new Tamiya upgrade chassie for the FF03... Running crappy Ride32 in this film and they don't offer to much grip I think. I usually run sorex28 for indoor. The car has tons of steering compared to stock chassie/steering setup. And this is also first time I run it with "real" body and not the PF speed6... Tamiya 406sw body!!! Running a hobbywing JUstock and a thunderpower 17.5 and gearing is set to 4.22:1!!

http://youtu.be/cbFqa9xGVdo

Last edited by Gillblade; 03-01-2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Forgot video link
Old 03-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi all - been though all 175-ish pages.

It has been really helpfull and I am looking for my own (first) built.

Although I am not planning to do any racing I'd like it to be race ready.

Currently thinking of a SP Reventon-S ESC and Savox1251 servo, but the right motor choice is giving me headaches. Using stock-ish gearing i'd need something like a 13.5t, but most people in this thread use different gearing and 17.5-21.5t brushless motors or silver cans.

My experience is limited to more simple off road and 1/8 buggies.

I have a spare Orion r10 60a and 13t xerun that I will be able to test, but I'd lik to get my facts straight before buying a new combo for my new FF03. Control over speed, but it need not be a slug.

Any pointers much appreciated!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default To be DIScontinued?

I have been thinking about picking up the FF03 for awhile. Just check Tower and noticed that all FF03 kits are marked "limited quantities". Is Tamiya about to pull the plug on the FF03 and release something new?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sneako
I have been thinking about picking up the FF03 for awhile. Just check Tower and noticed that all FF03 kits are marked "limited quantities". Is Tamiya about to pull the plug on the FF03 and release something new?
No, Tower has limited quantities of those particular kits in stock!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Bit the bullet and ordered a speed passion Reventon Pro V3 competition 13.5t combo, as this motor race spec in the Netherlands.

Looking forward to the built.

Any gearing tips for a 13.5t setup?

60/40?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Simulacra53
Bit the bullet and ordered a speed passion Reventon Pro V3 competition 13.5t combo, as this motor race spec in the Netherlands.

Looking forward to the built.

Any gearing tips for a 13.5t setup?

60/40?
Where are you running in NL ?? I am from Groningen
Old 03-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi Phil

No where (yet), but I'm building this one following the DTC Euro GT specs.
Might try MACH one of these days.

Think I've seen you post on modelbouwforum.
I admit to being a semi noob
Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mr lee
No, Tower has limited quantities of those particular kits in stock!
All FF03 kits are listed that way. Plus, a few have lowered prices. I get the feeling Tower is making room for a new release.

Before Associated released the B4.2 and B44.2, they listed the B4.1 and B44.2 as "limited quantities". The B4.1 is still listed that way...just made me think Tamiya was about to make a change.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sneako
All FF03 kits are listed that way. Plus, a few have lowered prices. I get the feeling Tower is making room for a new release.

Before Associated released the B4.2 and B44.2, they listed the B4.1 and B44.2 as "limited quantities". The B4.1 is still listed that way...just made me think Tamiya was about to make a change.
Go to Tamiya's site. If it says discontinued there then you know there is a new one on it's way. Alternatively check the Tamiya blog for new releases.

There is no news of a new version coming out any time soon so don't worry!

That is just Tower's way of saying they are low on stock...think it kicks in when they only have three or four of the particular product in stock. Other online shops just give the exact amount in stock...well as exact as their processing allows.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mr lee
Go to Tamiya's site. If it says discontinued there then you know there is a new one on it's way. Alternatively check the Tamiya blog for new releases.

There is no news of a new version coming out any time soon so don't worry!

That is just Tower's way of saying they are low on stock...think it kicks in when they only have three or four of the particular product in stock. Other online shops just give the exact amount in stock...well as exact as their processing allows.
Just double checking on the thread.

Back to technical stuff ... sorry for the distraction.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Yesterday I finished the chassis of my FF03 Pro.

Apart from the many turnbuckles and servo it was a joy to build, but I've been having a tough time getting that servo right.

Using a Savox 1251.

Should be pretty ideal, but I can't seem to get the steering buckle right with the Pro servo saver. I've already took off some of the cup as described in the manual. Also took out the tray.

It now clears the servo, however if you push the wheels full right it locks - by hand, might not do so under power.

Any tips appreciated.

...stripped only one screw, the smallest screw to attach the servo tray to the chassis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.