Like Tree220Likes

Tamiya FF03

Old 03-01-2011, 07:20 PM
  #1996  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (4)
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 5,389
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mikeygar
I used 100k AE oil



With 100k oil it felt like a really tight ball diff. Advantage for me was that I had a little bit of turn in afforded as compared to a spool. Takeoff from standstill was awesome!



Same problem here. The Spec-R gearcase comes with adapters to fit either the original ball diff or the gear diff. Too many philips screws to undo to make my car TCS legal again so I won't be running in our events for awhile hehehe. Had my fill of rebuilding the diff so many times during TITC I'm pretty much sick of it right now hahahaha



You're lucky that your diff stayed ok. Mine was very notchy after every 2 runs. I even put new diff plates on the 2nd day and still became notchy. I've pretty much given up on the Tamiya diff and will join our TCS events again once Tamiya comes out with a geardiff. All in all, I spent more time fixing my FF than my touring car!!!

Also seeing that my times were a second off the A-main guys was very disappointing, am challenged to run FF again next year since I know I could have done so much better, but it just took away so much time from my main focus

Didn't get to meet you though, what main did you run in? I was in main D
For the FF I was in the D as well... blue Integra. Really didn't have a good run in the main, got up to second on the first lap before losing the rear on the sweeper, on power (), and then collecting a track barrier. Cue removed lower kingpin screw, one popped out driveshaft, and end of the race... hey ho, try again next year!
TryHard is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 03:47 AM
  #1997  
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,974
Default

Originally Posted by TryHard
For the FF I was in the D as well... blue Integra. Really didn't have a good run in the main, got up to second on the first lap before losing the rear on the sweeper, on power (), and then collecting a track barrier. Cue removed lower kingpin screw, one popped out driveshaft, and end of the race... hey ho, try again next year!
That's why I use aluminium knuckles if I can. Plastic threads are a bad idea in places like that.

Diffs become notchy because of worn balls as well. Changing plates is only half the equation. Try to have a look under a powerful magnifier at the worn balls and you'll see they're anything but round.
niznai is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 05:17 AM
  #1998  
Tech Master
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,220
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TryHard
For the FF I was in the D as well... blue Integra. Really didn't have a good run in the main, got up to second on the first lap before losing the rear on the sweeper, on power (), and then collecting a track barrier. Cue removed lower kingpin screw, one popped out driveshaft, and end of the race... hey ho, try again next year!
cool! I uploaded a vid of our main:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


sorry to hear about your crash. Was lucky to TQ the run and finish same position as well laptimes were 2 seconds off the A-main though so still a lot of work needed.

Originally Posted by niznai
That's why I use aluminium knuckles if I can. Plastic threads are a bad idea in places like that.

Diffs become notchy because of worn balls as well. Changing plates is only half the equation. Try to have a look under a powerful magnifier at the worn balls and you'll see they're anything but round.
I agree, I should throw out my balls and get new ones
mikeygar is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 08:08 AM
  #1999  
Tech Master
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,220
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

FF A Main Rd 2 Finals
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


FF A Main Rd 3 Finals
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
mikeygar is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 12:57 PM
  #2000  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nr Birmingham (not so sunny England!)
Posts: 58
Default

WOW! Well done mikeygar! If that was the 'D' Final, it was very competative.

That looks like an incredibly quick & quite a large indoor track (it would be great if we had more of them over here.

What was the surface, as it looks like highly polished concrete, & what tyres did you guys use to get that great handling?

Thanks for the video, it gives us an idea what the FF03 can do in good hands
Waco is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 05:52 PM
  #2001  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (35)
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Waco
WOW! Well done mikeygar! If that was the 'D' Final, it was very competative.

That looks like an incredibly quick & quite a large indoor track (it would be great if we had more of them over here.

What was the surface, as it looks like highly polished concrete, & what tyres did you guys use to get that great handling?

Thanks for the video, it gives us an idea what the FF03 can do in good hands
Asphalt track with a lot of goop.

Tyres were a Ride control tyre .... 36 compound all round
cannon is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 05:58 PM
  #2002  
Tech Master
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,220
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Waco! The surface was super smooth asphalt, and yes, the track is HUGE and QUICK but very narrow! Our run in D main was pretty slow compared to the A since in D, I was only able to manage 20 second laptimes whereas in A, they were doing 17's! 3 seconds down per lap plainly means there's still a lot of progress needed.

Tires were Ride handouts, 36 degrees with medium inserts. The FF03 was pretty nimble, luckily in the last few days, traction stabilized and there were less traction rolls all around. It was ridiculous in day 1 and 2 of qualifying. Truth be told, I spent more time setting up my FF than my touring car!
mikeygar is offline  
Old 03-03-2011, 03:23 AM
  #2003  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 258
Default

Thanks for the feedback on the swing shafts on the previous page!

Ok so I have seen people using the integra and Civic VTi bodies thus far.....have also seen the 08 Subaru used as well.

Now is one of the above better in more ways than the other? What is the best all rounder or does it not really matter and all comes down to your setup and driving style?
Does anyone run one of the Tamiya racing wings on the Integra or is the standard one used?

I am currently using an EVO X (came with the PRO I bought) and have the Tamiya racing wing on it (least downforce of the two wings) which I ran a couple of weeks ago and it seemed to handle well. You can argue that it is not an FWD car but the 2.0L Lancer is FWD as far as I know......
It's not on the list of bodies that do not fit this chassis so I see no reason why it cannot be used, but if the others are better I may consider a new body. Also don't like the colour scheme of this EVO X anyway!
mr lee is offline  
Old 03-03-2011, 06:57 AM
  #2004  
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Originally Posted by mr lee
Thanks for the feedback on the swing shafts on the previous page!

Ok so I have seen people using the integra and Civic VTi bodies thus far.....have also seen the 08 Subaru used as well.

Now is one of the above better in more ways than the other? What is the best all rounder or does it not really matter and all comes down to your setup and driving style?
Does anyone run one of the Tamiya racing wings on the Integra or is the standard one used?

I am currently using an EVO X (came with the PRO I bought) and have the Tamiya racing wing on it (least downforce of the two wings) which I ran a couple of weeks ago and it seemed to handle well. You can argue that it is not an FWD car but the 2.0L Lancer is FWD as far as I know......
It's not on the list of bodies that do not fit this chassis so I see no reason why it cannot be used, but if the others are better I may consider a new body. Also don't like the colour scheme of this EVO X anyway!
Standard Lancer/Charisma is Front Wheel Drive, and some do put the Evo body kits on standard models, with the Evo IV very common and easy to obtain (pattern parts I think).
NiMo is offline  
Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 AM
  #2005  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nr Birmingham (not so sunny England!)
Posts: 58
Default

Cannon & Mikeygar: Thanks for the response, I envy you being able to race at such a venue...

The cars looked 'planted' & composed & I suspected that you had foams as they picked up speed quickly & gripped so well although I did notice that any 'clipping' of the apex dots was punished with too much air time or rolling over, but all the same it looks like a great venue. The Ride handouts were up to the task by the looks of it despite the high temperature rating (I've NEVER used such a high rating even in mid summer! -maybe one day I may stop whingeing about our lousy weather! )

Great racing!
Waco is offline  
Old 03-03-2011, 09:20 AM
  #2006  
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Originally Posted by Waco
Cannon & Mikeygar: Thanks for the response, I envy you being able to race at such a venue...

The cars looked 'planted' & composed & I suspected that you had foams as they picked up speed quickly & gripped so well although I did notice that any 'clipping' of the apex dots was punished with too much air time or rolling over, but all the same it looks like a great venue. The Ride handouts were up to the task by the looks of it despite the high temperature rating (I've NEVER used such a high rating even in mid summer! -maybe one day I may stop whingeing about our lousy weather! )

Great racing!
Having raced at a Worlds finals in Honolulu (1999) I have kept my views about tyres different to which part of the world they race.
At that time 25 or 30 was the compound to have in the UK and Europe, but they felt like jelly after only 2 minutes in Hawaii, and 40 compound was the minimun you could get away with, 50's were used by the A B & C finalists.

Basically our ground temperature is like ICE compared to those the other side of the Atlantic, so 36's there is like us running 24's
NiMo is offline  
Old 03-04-2011, 07:52 AM
  #2007  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nr Birmingham (not so sunny England!)
Posts: 58
Default

Originally Posted by NiMo
Having raced at a Worlds finals in Honolulu (1999) I have kept my views about tyres different to which part of the world they race.
At that time 25 or 30 was the compound to have in the UK and Europe, but they felt like jelly after only 2 minutes in Hawaii, and 40 compound was the minimun you could get away with, 50's were used by the A B & C finalists.

Basically our ground temperature is like ICE compared to those the other side of the Atlantic, so 36's there is like us running 24's
Point taken, I suppose I'm a little envious of the weather that these guys are having to 'endure' I think the highest rating I've ever owned was a 35 which I took to by brothers in South Africa (& left there)

I didn't know that you raced in Honolulu... pretty good going

I just have to settle for racing in South Africa (K90 in Boksburg) as & when I visit the family & yes, even in the middle of their winter, I have to use harder compounds even though they tend to use foams (& Coke on the surface )

I do find that I'm asked all sorts of questions regarding my batteries as I take them on hand luggage (as well as the chassis, of course!)
Waco is offline  
Old 03-04-2011, 10:56 AM
  #2008  
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Originally Posted by Waco
Point taken, I suppose I'm a little envious of the weather that these guys are having to 'endure' I think the highest rating I've ever owned was a 35 which I took to by brothers in South Africa (& left there)

I didn't know that you raced in Honolulu... pretty good going

I just have to settle for racing in South Africa (K90 in Boksburg) as & when I visit the family & yes, even in the middle of their winter, I have to use harder compounds even though they tend to use foams (& Coke on the surface )

I do find that I'm asked all sorts of questions regarding my batteries as I take them on hand luggage (as well as the chassis, of course!)
Was in the Kyosho Cup days
Qualified for 4 European finals (Portugal, Italy, Switzerland, Greece) and 2 World finals (Honolulu, Beijing).
Don't think anything will ever beat the trophy from Italy - 1ST PLACE - thanks to some helpful wet weather
NiMo is offline  
Old 03-06-2011, 08:10 AM
  #2009  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
C5R01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The D!
Posts: 151
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Just finished my FF03



C5R01 is offline  
Old 03-06-2011, 09:26 AM
  #2010  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
rtypec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,978
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by C5R01
Just finished my FF03
Nice! Calsonic livery is good for 0.3 seconds per lap
rtypec is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.