R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-21-2010, 06:43 AM   #106
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to sw20

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew188 View Post
That was what I was told as well when I called. I have to fly 22 hours to attend this race. I hope they will make up their mind soon.
Andrew188, where are you flying from? I am coming from Toronto, Canada.

the_kid9: It's not the price for the hotel/car rental but the track time that I can use.. As a causal racer, paying for everything for 4 days of control practice + race may not be ideal.. I called the track and make sure that they are open on mon-wed before I book my flight.. but if things change.. I guess I have to pass on this race..

Kevin J: Can you please confirm that it's not open on mon-wed? I called nor-cal hobbies on Monday and they told me that it will be open... that's why I booked my flight.
sw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #107
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20 View Post

the_kid9: It's not the price for the hotel/car rental but the track time that I can use.. As a causal racer, paying for everything for 4 days of control practice + race may not be ideal.. I called the track and make sure that they are open on mon-wed before I book my flight.. but if things change.. I guess I have to pass on this race..

Kevin J: Can you please confirm that it's not open on mon-wed? I called nor-cal hobbies on Monday and they told me that it will be open... that's why I booked my flight.
I am flying in from Thailand. I have been dreaming of attending the Reedy race one day and this year I will be able to make it. I hope it will be a great race, but so far, the entries are still pretty low.

I agree with you on the track time. I hate to go all the way there and not able to get much practice. I am not sure why they need to close the track for 3 days before the event. I hope they understand for people coming from abroad, there are a lot of things that they need to adjust and get familiar with. For example, we never run 13.5T and the Solaris tires overhere. We cannot even buy them locally. Then there are temperature, humidity and track conditions to consider. I am not a pro racer, so I need more time to learn and adjust.

I have not booked my ticket yet, but I need to decide soon.
andrew188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #108
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Guys every single Big National/International race I have ever attended or heard of closes the track for a couple days before official race practice starts. It keeps the playing field level for everyone. This is nothing new.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #109
Tech Addict

They are closing the track before the race to get the tracked preped right and get everything situated. Who knows. Maybe they're talking about it right now.

Yokomo / Hobbywing / JConcepts / A Main Performance Hobbies / Solaris Racing Products / ProTek RC / Schelle / Boom RC / TNP (TopNotchPaints)
Mini-Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #110
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Andrew188,

I can guarantee the practice schedule for Thursday and Friday Practice will be more then enough to get your car dialed in.There are also many here locally that are willing to help anyone and everyone get the help they need.I am one of the race control/directors for the event this year and I can get you the help you need.The tires are fairly straight forward when it comes to setup.The temps outside can vary widely here and so can the humidity,but the weather is fairly mild hear in the Bay Area. 75-80 degrees F during this time of year on average.BTW if you come in early,there are so many things to do in the area besides racing.Take that into consideration.Local transportation can get you to San Francisco easily.Wine country is super close.Really anything you could think of, you could do here.I hope to see you at the event!

Quote:
I am flying in from Thailand. I have been dreaming of attending the Reedy race one day and this year I will be able to make it. I hope it will be a great race, but so far, the entries are still pretty low.

I agree with you on the track time. I hate to go all the way there and not able to get much practice. I am not sure why they need to close the track for 3 days before the event. I hope they understand for people coming from abroad, there are a lot of things that they need to adjust and get familiar with. For example, we never run 13.5T and the Solaris tires overhere. We cannot even buy them locally. Then there are temperature, humidity and track conditions to consider. I am not a pro racer, so I need more time to learn and adjust.

racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #111
Tech Elite

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20 View Post

The track is typically closed for the days running up to most national and international races. This gives the track time to prep the facility and creates a level of fairness for all participants. In fact, of all the national and international events, the Reedy Race gives each driver as many or more practice opportunities (8 typically) than other events, the controlled nature of the practice gives each driver quality running.

To put this in perspective, the Worlds track is closed for two weeks before the World Champs. When the RROC was at Tamiya, registered drivers could not practice during the month of the event.

At other big races like the Snowbirds, IIC, and U.S. Indoor Champs, the carpet track does not even exist until it is constructed for the event. It is new for everyone and practice is limited. European carpet events like the Indoor Euros, DHI Cup, and LRP masters are on new tracks with limited practice.

Please do not be discouraged by what you ight consider lack of track time. I assure you that the track time you do get will be quality time and what you will learn at an event like this will more than make up with 1-2 days less practice.

An event like this and many of the other large events are as much about the experience as about the track time. You have the opportunity to race with and compete against different drivers, learn new things about setups, hang out with and make new friends, and see the World best drivers race head to head.

I can honestly say that the RROC is by far the best "big race" value when you take everything into consideration.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #112
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
The track is typically closed for the days running up to most national and international races. This gives the track time to prep the facility and creates a level of fairness for all participants. In fact, of all the national and international events, the Reedy Race gives each driver as many or more practice opportunities (8 typically) than other events, the controlled nature of the practice gives each driver quality running.

To put this in perspective, the Worlds track is closed for two weeks before the World Champs. When the RROC was at Tamiya, registered drivers could not practice during the month of the event.

At other big races like the Snowbirds, IIC, and U.S. Indoor Champs, the carpet track does not even exist until it is constructed for the event. It is new for everyone and practice is limited. European carpet events like the Indoor Euros, DHI Cup, and LRP masters are on new tracks with limited practice.

Please do not be discouraged by what you ight consider lack of track time. I assure you that the track time you do get will be quality time and what you will learn at an event like this will more than make up with 1-2 days less practice.

An event like this and many of the other large events are as much about the experience as about the track time. You have the opportunity to race with and compete against different drivers, learn new things about setups, hang out with and make new friends, and see the World best drivers race head to head.

I can honestly say that the RROC is by far the best "big race" value when you take everything into consideration.
Well said!
Old 04-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #113
Tech Adept

The track is infact open for practice on Monday and Tuesday leading up to the event. There's also our normal club race on Sunday, the 23rd. We will change the track Wednesday for the event. Sorry for the confusion. This is official.
E Vasutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #114
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Vasutin View Post
The track is infact open for practice on Monday and Tuesday leading up to the event. There's also our normal club race on Sunday, the 23rd. We will change the track Wednesday for the event. Sorry for the confusion. This is official.
The Great Vasutin has come down from on high and spoken...
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #115
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to King of B Main
Default Great News

Quote:
WoW, I guess I got to change schedule again....Back to coming in on saturday...Great News
King of B Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #116
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DJGonzo69

For the 17.5 class are we going to be limited on ESC or we can use open ESC for this race?
Old 04-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #117
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to sw20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
Track will be closed Monday thru Wednesday before the event. We will be putting the final touches for the the event those days and making sure the track is perfect. The weekend Before will be a Saturday Practice and Sunday Onroad race.
Quote:
This is good news. I will see you guys at the race!! thanks again for clearing this up!
sw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #118
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am looking forward to making the trek out there from Singapore with my son. Will be a 20+ hour trip as well. Racing the 13.5 and 17.5 classes.
HoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:40 AM   #119
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Question!

Eric,

I see the words "change the track Wednesday" ;so, that is a great solution. Bravo guys!

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #120
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

A lot of local guys already got their car dialed in changing the track Layout will somewhat even out the field since everyone needs to get familiar with the new track layout..

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote