Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Bodies TCX

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Got my TCX yesterday and built it. Firstly its a great car.
Still has alot of ideas from the TC which is good to see but the differences that have been made to make a lot of difference.

I built mine in 4 hrs and had electronics in it in 4.5 hrs. Took it to a local indoor track and its definatley an improvement from the TC. The biggest thing that stood out for me is its steering. It had more overall everywhere and it felt more stable entering corners and kept a good line all the way through.

Only thing i am a little dissapointed about is the servo saver is now on the servo itself and i dont like that idea. Plus i use a brand of servo called ACE and there is no splines from HB that suit it so therefore i have no servo saver! lol

I bet some people are saying Futaba is the same but its not, I put the Futaba spline on my ACE servo and it wobbled. I also run 48P as i did on the TC.

I noticed Ty Tessman was running overall ratio of 11.68. When i worked that out with my 48p setup i needed to run 81 / 17 but that didnt fit. The minimum pinion that i could fit with a 81 spur was 23. Thats with a LRP 4,5 motor.

Does anyone know if the internal ratio of the TCX is the same as the TC? If it isnt them all of my ratio's are wrong as im basing them off the TC.

JK
Old 08-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Yep - it has a different internal ratio of 1.95.

Has anybody else noticed the amount of slop in the wishbones (I think probably enough to be able to use 1mm instead of 0.75mm shims) and also in the ballcups for the steering? I can move the wheels at least a degree either side without turning the servo - I might have to try some RPM ballcups as they should be a tighter fit.

Finally, what way round do you recommend to mount the pinion gear; the way round it shows in the manual (toothed part towards centre of car) or the opposite way round with the toothed part closest to the motor and the boss towards the centre of the car?

Edit: Also does anybody know what is different about the HD bulkheads and motor mount? Is it only the material that's different, or is the design different to the standard items?

Last edited by A.Wojtecki; 08-13-2010 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi guys,
I've been building my tcx for the past hour or so (exciting day for me ), and have just paused to post the following comment/question:

The spool has steel outdrives. In my previous car (the Black Cyclone) I had ball diffs front and back, with composite outdrives. It just struck me as odd having the metal dog bone ends rub directly against steel. Isn't something going to wear out? Do I need blades?

Hoping Hiro can comment.

Cheers,
Chas
Old 08-13-2010, 03:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by chastro
Hi guys,
I've been building my tcx for the past hour or so (exciting day for me ), and have just paused to post the following comment/question:

The spool has steel outdrives. In my previous car (the Black Cyclone) I had ball diffs front and back, with composite outdrives. It just struck me as odd having the metal dog bone ends rub directly against steel. Isn't something going to wear out? Do I need blades?

Hoping Hiro can comment.

Cheers,
Chas
From my experience with the steel spool from the Moorespeed Cyclone, the places that tend to wear the most are around the pin that fixes the outdrives to the spool and pulley, a little but not that much in the slots in the outdrives where the driveshaft pin fits and finally in the cv joint in the driveshaft. I'd recommend to look out for a spool from Litemodz - the outdrives mate to the spool via a crenulated edge and are screwed into the spool to hold it altogether (none of the slop from the pins). The outdrives are a composite plastic - the wear isn't that bad and they are a lot lighter than the steel kit standard items.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jarred King
Does anyone know if the internal ratio of the TCX is the same as the TC? If it isnt them all of my ratio's are wrong as im basing them off the TC.

JK
The TCX internal drive ratio is 1.95 (39 / 20 = 1.95)

TC's IDR = 2.1667
Old 08-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi guys,

Hoping Hiro can comment.

Cheers,
Chas
The steel spool outdrives have been used from the Andy Moore Edition and we have had any problems on those. It does wear out at both the drive shaft pin and the slots on the outdrives but I personally think this wear out also kills some chatter that the spool makes. So I always rather to have used one than the brand new as it runs bit smoother.

I also recommend you to put some atu-wear grease on the pins. It should heps some.

I hope it helps.
Best regards,
Old 08-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by VooDooPH
must be the case. problem is it's near impossible to mesh an Orion motor using a 31t pinion using the stock 115t spur unless i dremel part of the top deck.
I made this point earlier, need to shave a bit from the top deck to allow the motor to get full adjustment.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by A.Wojtecki
Yep - it has a different internal ratio of 1.95.

Has anybody else noticed the amount of slop in the wishbones (I think probably enough to be able to use 1mm instead of 0.75mm shims) and also in the ballcups for the steering? I can move the wheels at least a degree either side without turning the servo - I might have to try some RPM ballcups as they should be a tighter fit.

Finally, what way round do you recommend to mount the pinion gear; the way round it shows in the manual (toothed part towards centre of car) or the opposite way round with the toothed part closest to the motor and the boss towards the centre of the car?

Edit: Also does anybody know what is different about the HD bulkheads and motor mount? Is it only the material that's different, or is the design different to the standard items?
Yep I noticed the same thing, more slop than I expected in the 1st new car I have had for a long while.

As for the HD bulkheads, this was asked before - no difference in desgin, just stronger material, but not really needed for general use
Old 08-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes
I made this point earlier, need to shave a bit from the top deck to allow the motor to get full adjustment.
Yep, Orion motors (the newest) don't have this little chamfer on the end can anymore. Met the same problem lately but I slightely dremeled the motor, not the top deck...
Old 08-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Fortunately my GM motor has a cooling slot in just the right place, so the top deck can just slide in there. Still I sanded that corner down a tenth of a mm or so just to be on the safe side.

In terms of front arm sweep, what would be the best for a tight indoor carpet track? Should I stick with the 2.5 degree block as standard or try a 1.5 (lots of setups for the old Cyclone specified a 1.5 degree block) - if so what's the handling difference?
Old 08-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by san.
The TCX internal drive ratio is 1.95 (39 / 20 = 1.95)

TC's IDR = 2.1667
HB is trying to bring it closer in line to the Xray cars. I have a T2 007 that has a FDR of 1.7.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

really dont think it has anything to do with x ray,just making it easier to gear brushless motors.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

Hey guys

I got the kit built up yesterday, took about 3 hours in all, I've done a few photos too so I can get the blog updated with a bit of a stage by stage build, nothing on the kit needed adjusting or fetteling apart from the front roll bar holder (like hiro posted a couple of pages back)

I'll update again after I get a few runs in, (this week or next)

Luke
Old 08-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks San and Hiro, I have put some atu-wear grease in there so it should loosen up nicely.

Generally happy with the kit. I have two other observations:

1: A 540 motor wont fit (540 is still a popular class here in Oz). Looks like I'm going to have to dremel the anodised motor mount =(

2: There are 2 countersunk screws which sit upside-down in the new steering arm set. If I tighten them to my satisfaction, the movement of the mechanism is restricted. But if I have them loose I'm worried they'll work themselves free.

Comments welcome.

Chas
Old 08-14-2010, 01:40 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks San and Hiro, I have put some atu-wear grease in there so it should loosen up nicely.

Generally happy with the kit. I have two other observations:

1: A 540 motor wont fit (540 is still a popular class here in Oz). Looks like I'm going to have to dremel the anodised motor mount =(

2: There are 2 countersunk screws which sit upside-down in the new steering arm set. If I tighten them to my satisfaction, the movement of the mechanism is restricted. But if I have them loose I'm worried they'll work themselves free.

Comments welcome.

Chas
1:Unfortunately with this type of motor (and also with some brushless) must be used dremell.
2:Strange, I tightened the screws and everything moves well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.