R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-19-2004, 07:29 AM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

The Mvp is a very nice motor, but it does run too hot though. The monster has an insane ability to be cold at the end of a full on 5 minute qualifier. My jaw dropped the first time I touched the motor after running. It does however run hotter if you don't give it regular maintance.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 09:12 AM   #17
Tech Rookie

Cool MVP stock motor

MPVs are great. We use them to heat up
our water for afternoon tea.
rcfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:35 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've been playing with Orion core and Peak Hellfire(s) and really like them alot. They offer great torque and very good RPM, not as much as a Monster stock, but its more like a mid power band between P2K2 and Monster. Realign the hoods, re-shim the comm, and a good cut and there as fast as any stocker at the track.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:38 AM   #19
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

The magnets on the MVP are very strong and a better grade than trinity's, and will withstand the heat better.

When running my Big Jim style MVP, heat has not been an issue. If you are running the MVP stock, then I can see that being a problem.

If you give the MVP a shot, you should order some brushes from Big Jim or integy, and put those in. The magnets are so strong that I don't forsee needing as much zapping as I do with the Trinity products.
Cain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 11:03 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

He is just starting out in RC. He needs a motor he can drop in and run, not a motor that needs special brush cuts and is a bear to gear right. I didnt see one MVP at his home track this Sat. so he cant get advice on gearing etc. from anyone there... a Monster would fit him much better
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:52 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to HK Racing Joe

dude i've been racing for a year i need something that'll get me in the A-main in superstock
HK Racing Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:56 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I like the p2k2 with the right gearing it rips.
subman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:58 PM   #23
Tech Elite

The MVP and Core are almost the same motor.

yes made by different manufactures, but compare the armatures. Nearly Identical, even down to the "Power Tunnels".

I would go for a P2K. Great starter motor, and very less likely to "go up in smoke" than a monster is. I have P2k than will keep up with any of them. Its all about getting the watts, and gearing correctly.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 05:33 PM   #24
Tech Master

You can overgear a P2K and it'll just get hot, overgear an Monster and its toast.
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 07:41 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by AzNDRAGster
You can overgear a P2K and it'll just get hot, overgear an Monster and its toast.
Not really, I Over gear my Monsters Sometime by accident and it takes it.
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 08:13 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Monster vs. Binary

How are you guys gearing your Binary's compared to a Monster ( in general )?
stumper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 09:46 PM   #27
Tech Champion

I dropped 2 teeth on my pinion from a monster initialy, but I ended up going back to the same gearing as my monster stock since it was pulling really good mid to high rpm with the taller gearing. This motor just has a different power band than the monster so you can gear it similar.

-Sushi Boy
Old 04-19-2004, 10:07 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default The Same

From my experience with both, I have found that I will generally turn identical lap times with both. It's a give and take situation at my track. Do I want to be faster in the infield or on the straight thru the sweeper. The binary has the rpm so I usually will drop 2to3 teeth. This can be an advantage in some ways and a henderance in others. My 2 cents goes a little something like this. Make the car faster in the parts of the track that are more technical or where you spend the most time and you will be faster overall. Most of the tracks I've been to have a sraight that is only good for a few tenths at best. I make most of my time in the infield with a good torque motor and good setup on the cars suspension.
Racer Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 11:35 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by HKlosi
dude i've been racing for a year i need something that'll get me in the A-main in superstock
I watched you race at the trophy race... you are doing well for only racing a year but practice is much more important than a slightly faster stock motor!
But if its that important to you, just look at what the guys who are beating you run for motor and get the same thing
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:09 AM   #30
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

joey....i can tell you offhand just about everyone at rsj is either running a monster stock or binary stock.

next time were at the track let me know what you're running and i'll try and help set-up your motor and figure out gearing for you.