R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #91
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
Hello guys, an idiot here. See, it goes like this...

I've used Macs since 1987. I've had an SE30, which gave way to something I can't remember when 'tinterweb and e-mail came along, which gave way to a G4 when a new Mac OS came along, which gave way to my Powerbook G4 when a birthday with a '0' allowed me to spend a bit, and go wireless and broadband at the same time. In 23 years, four machines and one RAM upgrade for $150. No one, and I mean no one, I know with a PC has saved that much money in that space of time, nor been able to use software that has been a Mac standard since 1987. So I saved a few $$ over the years...

Now, along comes the new programmable speedos, and who should be offering free software upgrades but Tekin - so I bought one. The emphasis is on the word "one". In order to programme this little wonder, I couldn't use a Mac, so I bought a netbook. Since the RS came out I have bought ONE speedo. Most of my mates have bought three or four, or the clever ones just two - a competitor and then an RS!!

So, this "idiot" has bought four home computers in 23 years, and one speedo in three years. With the money I've saved, a netbook is nothing special. And it's still worth 75% of what I pad for it 'cause I can sell it back to other "idiots" who still think a PC is good value.

If that's the definition of an "idiot", I plead guilty on all counts, Your Honour, and have sentenced myself to counting the money I haven't spent on countless PC upgrades, the headache pills I haven't taken trying to get Microsoft systems to work, and the speedos I haven't had to buy. Any other "idiots" out there??!!!
Why did you quote me? I was +1'n the fact that I don't own a mac product.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #92
Tech Fanatic

Ooops - sorry!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #93
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Well i guess if you like Mr. Jobs telling you what you can do, and what you cant along with what you like and can dislike then i guess buying a Mac is a good idea!
Double D Donuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #94
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I've always said support apple is like supporting communism.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:28 AM   #95
Tech Adept

Thumbs down

And Linux is the poor mans mac isn't, I just love the forums, now we are arguing about computer software. This place is only a source of entertainment for me now, and very entertaining at that!!!

You go girls!!! fight it out!!! lol
Old 04-04-2010, 02:23 AM   #96
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Hello guys, an idiot here. See, it goes like this...

I've used Macs since 1987. I've had an SE30, which gave way to something I can't remember when 'tinterweb and e-mail came along, which gave way to a G4 when a new Mac OS came along, which gave way to my Powerbook G4 when a birthday with a '0' allowed me to spend a bit, and go wireless and broadband at the same time. In 23 years, four machines and one RAM upgrade for $150. No one, and I mean no one, I know with a PC has saved that much money in that space of time, nor been able to use software that has been a Mac standard since 1987. So I saved a few $$ over the years...

Now, along comes the new programmable speedos, and who should be offering free software upgrades but Tekin - so I bought one. The emphasis is on the word "one". In order to programme this little wonder, I couldn't use a Mac, so I bought a netbook. Since the RS came out I have bought ONE speedo. Most of my mates have bought three or four, or the clever ones just two - a competitor and then an RS!!

So, this "idiot" has bought four home computers in 23 years, and one speedo in three years. With the money I've saved, a netbook is nothing special. And it's still worth 75% of what I pad for it 'cause I can sell it back to other "idiots" who still think a PC is good value.

If that's the definition of an "idiot", I plead guilty on all counts, Your Honour, and have sentenced myself to counting the money I haven't spent on countless PC upgrades, the headache pills I haven't taken trying to get Microsoft systems to work, and the speedos I haven't had to buy. Any other "idiots" out there??!!!
Well as long as you can admit it jk man!

I have had several tekin speedo's in the past year, and there always seems to be someone at the track with a laptop, and we are a friendly group of people. I have set my speed controls up many times, yet I do not own a hotwire.
Not suggesting anything, but it just seems silly to pay $200+ to be able to program a $160 speed control...
Electric Race days Thursday at 7pm and Saturday at 2pm
Like us on FACEBOOK, https://www.facebook.com/fourseasonsrcracing
Zach@4SEASONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:30 AM   #97
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Well as long as you can admit it jk man!

I have had several tekin speedo's in the past year, and there always seems to be someone at the track with a laptop, and we are a friendly group of people. I have set my speed controls up many times, yet I do not own a hotwire.
Not suggesting anything, but it just seems silly to pay $200+ to be able to program a $160 speed control...
Glad there's someone else joking on here, some seem to be serious!!

We do the same - my little notebook has updated more speedos than Microsoft has had security breaches!!

Anyway, I'm hoping that the iPhone/iTouch app is real, and can't wait to get hold of it if it is. Watch out for a notebook on Fleabay!!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:27 AM   #98
Tech Regular

Well I'm keeping my netbook! Tekin are not going to drop Windows support just because they are writing an iPhone app, the netbook is pretty useful for other things at the track and I don't have an iPhone or Touch.

Well done to Tekin for supporting more platforms. (There's always someone who'll want Linux, Win CE etc. as well though )

Trev
CARSrcracing.co.uk Webmaster
Schumacher Racing
TrevCoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #99
Tech Initiate

Tekin really take the software updates very seriously, heard they had booth during recent TITC for users to updates.
crabsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #100
Tech Addict

Cool

I am still waiting for the software to come out for my vic20, it will be quite a site siting on my pit table!!
Old 04-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #101
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

and I was given an itouch as a gift a couple weeks ago. Nice that there's an app that's actually USEFUL available from Tekin.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #102
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Any other "idiots" out there??!!!
Well, I guess I have to say "+1" as I sit here reading this on my good ol' 12" PowerBook G4 that just refuses to die!

I don't even remember how old it is and it still works as well as the day it first came out of the box.

Only thing that would make it better is if it would run Hotwire...
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #103
Tech Master

I'm probably not the only one thinking this; but will it be iPad compatible?
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #104
Tech Master

iPad...... Sounds like a feminine hygiene product.
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:44 AM   #105
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny-b23 View Post
I'm probably not the only one thinking this; but will it be iPad compatible?
IF you can actually get an iPad, it should work...the main 'interface' is the same between the iPhone and the iPods, so i can only guess the iPad will have the same style interface

plus all the promo material shows a lot of the same apps from the iPhone/iPods