R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #91
Tech Elite
 
pakk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,077
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
Hello guys, an idiot here. See, it goes like this...

I've used Macs since 1987. I've had an SE30, which gave way to something I can't remember when 'tinterweb and e-mail came along, which gave way to a G4 when a new Mac OS came along, which gave way to my Powerbook G4 when a birthday with a '0' allowed me to spend a bit, and go wireless and broadband at the same time. In 23 years, four machines and one RAM upgrade for $150. No one, and I mean no one, I know with a PC has saved that much money in that space of time, nor been able to use software that has been a Mac standard since 1987. So I saved a few $$ over the years...

Now, along comes the new programmable speedos, and who should be offering free software upgrades but Tekin - so I bought one. The emphasis is on the word "one". In order to programme this little wonder, I couldn't use a Mac, so I bought a netbook. Since the RS came out I have bought ONE speedo. Most of my mates have bought three or four, or the clever ones just two - a competitor and then an RS!!

So, this "idiot" has bought four home computers in 23 years, and one speedo in three years. With the money I've saved, a netbook is nothing special. And it's still worth 75% of what I pad for it 'cause I can sell it back to other "idiots" who still think a PC is good value.

If that's the definition of an "idiot", I plead guilty on all counts, Your Honour, and have sentenced myself to counting the money I haven't spent on countless PC upgrades, the headache pills I haven't taken trying to get Microsoft systems to work, and the speedos I haven't had to buy. Any other "idiots" out there??!!!
Why did you quote me? I was +1'n the fact that I don't own a mac product.
__________________
*Photon* *SC10 4x4*
RCRD
pakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #92
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 900
Default

Ooops - sorry!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #93
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 891
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Well i guess if you like Mr. Jobs telling you what you can do, and what you cant along with what you like and can dislike then i guess buying a Mac is a good idea!
Double D Donuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #94
Tech Elite
 
pakk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,077
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

I've always said support apple is like supporting communism.
__________________
*Photon* *SC10 4x4*
RCRD
pakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:28 AM   #95
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 206
Thumbs down

And Linux is the poor mans mac isn't, I just love the forums, now we are arguing about computer software. This place is only a source of entertainment for me now, and very entertaining at that!!!

You go girls!!! fight it out!!! lol
__________________
Tekin - The ultimate trophy hunters choice!!!
FactoryTeam08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:23 AM   #96
Tech Master
 
Zach@4SEASONS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Olympia/lacey
Posts: 1,217
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
Hello guys, an idiot here. See, it goes like this...

I've used Macs since 1987. I've had an SE30, which gave way to something I can't remember when 'tinterweb and e-mail came along, which gave way to a G4 when a new Mac OS came along, which gave way to my Powerbook G4 when a birthday with a '0' allowed me to spend a bit, and go wireless and broadband at the same time. In 23 years, four machines and one RAM upgrade for $150. No one, and I mean no one, I know with a PC has saved that much money in that space of time, nor been able to use software that has been a Mac standard since 1987. So I saved a few $$ over the years...

Now, along comes the new programmable speedos, and who should be offering free software upgrades but Tekin - so I bought one. The emphasis is on the word "one". In order to programme this little wonder, I couldn't use a Mac, so I bought a netbook. Since the RS came out I have bought ONE speedo. Most of my mates have bought three or four, or the clever ones just two - a competitor and then an RS!!

So, this "idiot" has bought four home computers in 23 years, and one speedo in three years. With the money I've saved, a netbook is nothing special. And it's still worth 75% of what I pad for it 'cause I can sell it back to other "idiots" who still think a PC is good value.

If that's the definition of an "idiot", I plead guilty on all counts, Your Honour, and have sentenced myself to counting the money I haven't spent on countless PC upgrades, the headache pills I haven't taken trying to get Microsoft systems to work, and the speedos I haven't had to buy. Any other "idiots" out there??!!!
Well as long as you can admit it jk man!

I have had several tekin speedo's in the past year, and there always seems to be someone at the track with a laptop, and we are a friendly group of people. I have set my speed controls up many times, yet I do not own a hotwire.
Not suggesting anything, but it just seems silly to pay $200+ to be able to program a $160 speed control...
__________________
Four Seasons RC Raceway
(360)-491-2430 Tu-Fri 4pm-9pm Sat, Sun 12n-6pm
Nitros allowed on Tuesday, Friday, and sunday
Electric Race days Thursday at 7pm and Saturday at 2pm
Like us on FACEBOOK, https://www.facebook.com/fourseasonsrcracing
Zach@4SEASONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:30 AM   #97
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Well as long as you can admit it jk man!

I have had several tekin speedo's in the past year, and there always seems to be someone at the track with a laptop, and we are a friendly group of people. I have set my speed controls up many times, yet I do not own a hotwire.
Not suggesting anything, but it just seems silly to pay $200+ to be able to program a $160 speed control...
Glad there's someone else joking on here, some seem to be serious!!

We do the same - my little notebook has updated more speedos than Microsoft has had security breaches!!

Anyway, I'm hoping that the iPhone/iTouch app is real, and can't wait to get hold of it if it is. Watch out for a notebook on Fleabay!!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:27 AM   #98
Tech Regular
 
TrevCoult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Worksop, Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 355
Default

Well I'm keeping my netbook! Tekin are not going to drop Windows support just because they are writing an iPhone app, the netbook is pretty useful for other things at the track and I don't have an iPhone or Touch.

Well done to Tekin for supporting more platforms. (There's always someone who'll want Linux, Win CE etc. as well though )

Trev
__________________
Schumacher Atom GT12
Schumacher Eclipse 12th
www.carsrcracing.co.uk
CARSrcracing.co.uk Webmaster
Schumacher Racing
TrevCoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #99
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 22
Default

Tekin really take the software updates very seriously, heard they had booth during recent TITC for users to updates.
crabsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #100
Tech Addict
 
Sam-E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 654
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Cool

I am still waiting for the software to come out for my vic20, it will be quite a site siting on my pit table!!
__________________
TMORC - Official Club for the 1/10th Offroad Electric Worlds, 2012!!
Sam-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #101
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 947
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

and I was given an itouch as a gift a couple weeks ago. Nice that there's an app that's actually USEFUL available from Tekin.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #102
Tech Elite
 
reenmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,539
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
Any other "idiots" out there??!!!
Well, I guess I have to say "+1" as I sit here reading this on my good ol' 12" PowerBook G4 that just refuses to die!

I don't even remember how old it is and it still works as well as the day it first came out of the box.

Only thing that would make it better is if it would run Hotwire...
__________________
Pete Waydo
2010 Big Fat Turkey Race Mini Cooper AAA Main Champion
*** currently in stasis ***
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #103
Tech Master
 
Danny-b23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,335
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I'm probably not the only one thinking this; but will it be iPad compatible?
__________________
RC America|XRAY|ORCA|Motiv|EA Motorsports
Danny Buck
WCICS Rep - Round 1, Saskatoon, SK
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #104
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,049
Default

iPad...... Sounds like a feminine hygiene product.
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:44 AM   #105
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,007
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny-b23 View Post
I'm probably not the only one thinking this; but will it be iPad compatible?
IF you can actually get an iPad, it should work...the main 'interface' is the same between the iPhone and the iPods, so i can only guess the iPad will have the same style interface

plus all the promo material shows a lot of the same apps from the iPhone/iPods
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to solder correctly (a not so brief lesson) marine6680 Radio and Electronics 551 11-09-2017 10:52 AM
Prairie Knights Classic CorallyBQuiK Minnesota and North/South Dakota Racing 337 09-19-2007 05:31 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:10 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net