R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-31-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default newb needs onroad advice please

Hi all new to the site well posting anyway. Im thinking of getting a onroad car and not really sure what to get. Ive raced a t4 for a few seasons and wanted to try my hand on the pavement.

What im looking for is a basic car to start and as i learn the car add hop ups to it. I will be running road course not drifting.
I dont want to just jump in spend wads of cash i dont have and decide it is not for me.

I will be running brushless motors if that makes a difference. Parts availability is a key issue although i dont mind ordering online.
Tamiya and hpi and associated are common in the LHS here.

All the different models have my head spinning it was easier for offroad lol

Thanks for your help guys
blindnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Tech Master

My advice :

Car: Ta05V2 tamiya, or cyclone S HPI, I have a personal preference for the first one.

Motor : find yourself a GTB+17.5 combo or something similar.

That's VERY general advice, something you can't go really wrong with, but knowing what classes are ran at your LHS would help a lot.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I'd highly reccomend the HPI Hot Bodies Cyclone S car. It is not expensive-- I picked up a new kit--complete with body and tires good for "street tuning" for $129.00. The instructions are easy to follow--and the car in its STOCK form handles very well on both asphalt and carpet depending on the tires. DEFINITELY go brushless--and Lipoly's--- find out what class's are being offered in your area for the right motor and ESC combo--21.5 -- or 17.5--for beginning I'd stay away from the hotter winds and faster class's.
The car has MULTIPLE upgrades later if you'd like---but really--I've seen these cars in their stock form--compete with the top of the line carbon cars. As a matter of fact--on low bite tracks--it may have an advantage!!
I'd also reccomend the EXP Sweep tires---and the Tekin RS speed control with the flexible computer programming. But that will depend on the class's your local race track offers. It's OBVIOUS that programmable speed controls have a BIG ADVANTAGE over the old standard ones. SO there WILL BE seperate class's for them--their available at Stormer right now for $155.00 which really is not too bad a price for what it can do. Just find someone with the "hotwire" setup--and have them help you program it!!
FWIW
Tim
timmig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I was in the same situation a few months ago. What I did was I found out what guys at my track were running, I made my decision based on parts availability and the help I could get from the racers at the track. So I went with a used AE TC5 that a guy at my track had for sale. It is also very easy to work on and the parts are easy to find. Now that I am more comfortable with the car I am ready to build my own kit Team Associated TC5 or other brands.

RC AMERICA || XRAY || HUDY|| ACTIVRC || HOBBYWING NA || PROTOFORM
Maxxican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
Tech Adept

when i first started i drove the e-10 cheap car to learn with but not good for racing. then i went to the hpi sprint 2. car was great for the first couple of months then the chassis started flexing way to much. after that i got a cyclone s. its a perfect in expensive car to learn with. even if u want to stay in the game for a while you can get upgraded cyclone tc aluminum parts and bolt it on to it.i have a cyclones s i use for a spec race series abc hobby's is doing and am very pleased with how it works. so like time said if you want a car that is very cheap to start with get the cyclone s. then all you need is a 17.5 and your golden
DirtDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

thanks for the help guys. I will be in a novice 17.5 class they told me the sphere speed control and the tekin 17.5 motors i have are good to use.
The track is outdoors on asphalt.
ive seen from tamiya to hpi to traxxas to you name it out there.
The cyclone s i have been lookin at and like it. Then again i like the tc5 lol

and thanks for not bashing for something that has probably been asked before like i have gotten on other forums.

thanks again
Old 03-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindnoob View Post
thanks for the help guys. I will be in a novice 17.5 class they told me the sphere speed control and the tekin 17.5 motors i have are good to use.
The track is outdoors on asphalt.
ive seen from tamiya to hpi to traxxas to you name it out there.
The cyclone s i have been lookin at and like it. Then again i like the tc5 lol

and thanks for not bashing for something that has probably been asked before like i have gotten on other forums.

thanks again
No problem man we are here to help. Also if ur looking at a graphite chassis also check out the cyclone tc.as for the esc and motor. they will be good for a novice class.
DirtDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here is the cool thing about the Cyclone and Cyclone S. If you want to start out with a very basic car that is still a decent performer, then you can go with a Cyclone S which is on par with any plastic tub car out there. The thing is that the geometry is the same as the Cyclone and the parts are interchangeable. Its just that the quality and performance of the Cyclone parts are greater. The Cyclone, I believe is on par with most of the other high end TC kits out there. So there you have it. One design that starts out standard and is upgradable all the way to high end TC.

The down side is that if you upgrade it with everything available you would have been better off buying a high end TC. So if there is a used TC5, X-ray 007, or Photon around there for around 2 bills then I would do that instead of a New Cyclone S for $150. Not that theres anything wrong with the Cyclone S. I have seen even the cheap ones give a great run.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

hey mate, I was in your same situation a few months ago. Racing off road and decided to go onroad as well. Wasnt sure if I was going to like it or not. Now im racing onroad more than offroad

I would not buy a cyclone s, as you will be spending twice the amount on upgrades. Find a topline 2nd hand roller eg. xray 008-009, cyclone tc, or AE tc5.

with speed control, dont buy anything else but a tekin, trust me

motors, they are all pretty much the same, but the tekin is also good. I use speed passion and novaks.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Ive known the back end of the cyclone S to be quite weak, where as I have raced a ta05 for 3 seasons without any real issues, except leaky plastic shocks.

The front driveshafts would be better changed to universal swing shafts too. Sometimes the plastic toe blocks can break but it takes a heavy impact to do that.

If you can find a Tamiya ta05ifs cheap it could well be worth looking at

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

well i picked up a cyclone s roller for a steal the thing has maybe 3 carpet races on it not a single scratch and it comes with all the boxes manuals and a ton of spares!

There has been a few ups added to it as well I couldnt go wrong now waiting for it to arive

Also got a bid in on a tc5 i went low but you never know till auction end.

next weekend im going to lay it on the track and see how bad i can spin rub and wipe out lol.

Thanks for the advice guys !!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Cyclone S is a great car to start with, just dont upgrade it. (Unless you find parts at a steal) Instead if you love racing TC, keep your eyes out for a good deal on a better rig.

Then you can move your S to VTA where it will perform very well in that field.