R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-17-2004, 06:56 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to TC3Racer67
Default Charging/Discharging techniques?

Hey, I now have some nice batteries that I want to take care of. I'm sort of lost about what tray to use, ie one that takes each individual cell to .9, or down to nothing. After you run your car, do you discharge it with some 30 amp discharger which will take it down to .9v, then when you get home, do you tray them and immedietly charge them back up to full? thanks for any help.

btw I'm running matched gp3300's.
TC3Racer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 09:14 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to wolfeman09 Send a message via Yahoo to wolfeman09

Depends how often you race, if you race once a week like me, after I run the, i discharge them at 20 amps and store them. With the Integy I tell it 7 cells instead of 6 to leave some more charge in them.

On race day I discharge them with the Rayspeed discharger.

Hope this helps..
wolfeman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 09:17 PM   #3
Tech Regular

when you mean on race day, you discharge them with the rayspeed, then charge them back up so you can run them? thanks
Old 04-17-2004, 10:49 PM   #4
Tech Regular

This is what i do.... After the race take the battery out and discharge it on a turbo35 or GFX or something that can discharge at 30 amps. I use a Rayspeed Discharging tray, and they are the best and most recomended at the track I race at. Back onto what I do... After it is done discharging, hit 30 amp discharge again..... Then you want to tray it.... And on the rayspeed you can actually discharge AND equalize/condition! With the rayspeed you want to discharge it on the discharge slot first and keep doing it until all the lights go off at the same time so the cells are mached.... Then immediately switch it to equalize/condition... After that is done, I deadshort my batteries if I am running touring stock, dont dead short and just put away with touring mod (just what u should do). Basically, if you want MORE runtime DONT deadshort.... IF you want MORE VOLTAGE dead short.... I am done preaching...
FriedDiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 10:52 PM   #5
Tech Regular

The thing that I don't get is, after you discharge it at 30 amps, won't it cut off at .9v a cell? then, isn't that also the value for the rayspeed one? how can there be anything left to discharge?
Old 04-17-2004, 10:58 PM   #6
Tech Regular

there is voltage left... A turbo35 or w/e you discharge it on 30 amps with only discharges it if it can put out 30 amps.... if it can put out 30 amps it wont discharge it.... This is how it ususally is on tray.... 2-5 mins on rayspeed... and about 3-7 for the equalize mode.... then I put em away
Old 04-18-2004, 06:33 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

When you discharge on a Turbo 35, or any discharger that's not a tray for that matter, your discharging the whole pack to 5.4v. Not each cell. Also, a 30amp discharge will give a much higher voltage bounce at the end of the discharge.

After the run- Discharge at 20-30 amps, let cool (NEVER put the cells on a fan to force cool. Let them naturally cool down for at least a couple of hours) and store. (no need to tray them yet)
Before your first charge on race day, put them on the tray and equalize them. If you're using the Rayspeed like Fried does and I do as well, set it to the 5 amp equalizing setting and discharge. This will bring the cells down to .9 per cell fairly quickly at 5 amps. Once it cuts off all 6 cells, flip it to conditioning and start it again. This will bring them back down to .9v at 1 amp much more slowly, giving less of a voltage bounce and all the cells should go out at the exact same time telling you all cells are equalized. Then immediatly put them on the charger. If you run your packs more than once in a day, let them cool completely for a couple hours minimum, and just recharge. No need to re tray them.

Hope that clears things up. I'll be happy to help if you have any other questions.

Last edited by Jon Kerr; 04-18-2004 at 06:40 AM.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 06:37 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Oh, and as far as dead shorting, thats a risky and dangerous way to possibly get a very little extra voltage from your cells. It has to be done just right and even then, you can do serious damage to your cells and to yourself. It's better to just buy higher number packs. Dead shorting won't always give you any extra voltage and will always shorten your runtime signifiganly. Some guys swear by dead shorting and that's fine for them. But I know many of the top 10 at the recent ROAR carpet nats in stock weren't dead shorting and they seemed to be running plenty fast.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:57 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Also, when you discharge on the rayspeed tray, do stage one over and over until all the lights go off at the SAME TIME then immediately switch them over to equalize.... After that immediately charge them. Me personally.... I tray them like that after discharging on the turbo35 and then discharge again before charging....
Old 04-18-2004, 05:19 PM   #10
Tech Champion

The only reason we don't equalize after the run is through storage, they will un-equalize over time as they sit. So there's really no advantage. But if you feel more comfortable doing it, go for it.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:03 PM   #11
Tech Regular

thanks for the reply guys