Community
Wiki Posts
Search

motor upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Default motor upgrade help

alright, i have a somewhat old evader, and it has the old stock photon speed motor (brushes are gone, dont like the motor very well)

im woundering, which motors can i buy that will fit into this car, any ideas??
i need a somewhat cheap motor, preferably brushless (i understand prices on brush and brishless)

just some motor advice or help would be nice.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 11:55 PM
Tech Regular

depends on which evader model it is. if its one of the less expensive EXT or EXB then the transmission cant handle much. look at www.dynamiterc.com or www.castlecreations.com and check out the 1/10 fuze or sidewinder combo's. something with a kv rating under 5000kv should be easy enough on the transmission and make the car more fun. and those are both affordable setups.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by benben10
depends on which evader model it is. if its one of the less expensive EXT or EXB then the transmission cant handle much. look at *********** or ************* and check out the 1/10 fuze or sidewinder combo's. something with a kv rating under 5000kv should be easy enough on the transmission and make the car more fun. and those are both affordable setups.
thanks for helping me, your right the combo price for that motor is actually pretty cheap compaired to the others i've seen
Old 03-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Tech Rookie

one other thing, i have a quick question about my batteris, i have 3 or 4 racers edge SP 3000, and a megaone AC/DC quick charger, is the battery crap? is is the way i charge it crap?

cause i dont get alot of use out of one battery
Old 03-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Tech Regular

i have dealt with racers edge stuff and its not the best. the only thing you can do is cycle it and make sure its charging long enough.

i just looked at your charger (dynamite rc Mega 1 ?). that charger should not be used with those batteries. nimh batteries are not very tolerant of over charging and that charger does not detect when batteries are full, but im willing to bet you never charged them all the way. it should take about 45mins to charge a 3000mah battery on that charger.

anyways, other than lithium based batteries, it is hard to keep batteries in good condition. run your batteries until the car is slower but not snail slow. then charge your batteries for 30 mins and feel for temperature. then add another 15 mins of charge and pull them off when they are about as warm as warm milk to warm/hot coffee. (110-130F) if you have only been charging for 15 mins then you have not seen what your batteries can really do.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Tech Rookie

i have dealt with racers edge stuff and its not the best. the only thing you can do is cycle it and make sure its charging long enough.

i just looked at your charger (dynamite rc Mega 1 ?). that charger should not be used with those batteries. nimh batteries are not very tolerant of over charging and that charger does not detect when batteries are full, but im willing to bet you never charged them all the way. it should take about 45mins to charge a 3000mah battery on that charger.

anyways, other than lithium based batteries, it is hard to keep batteries in good condition. run your batteries until the car is slower but not snail slow. then charge your batteries for 30 mins and feel for temperature. then add another 15 mins of charge and pull them off when they are about as warm as warm milk to warm/hot coffee. (110-130F) if you have only been charging for 15 mins then you have not seen what your batteries can really do.
yea at the time it was what i could afford, ill give it a try tomorrow, thanks
Old 03-31-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Rookie

yea the batterie charging idea worked thanks, im going to buy new batteries and new charger soon, both are old and garbage.

But one more thing happened:
i recently bought a traxxs titan 550, it was very cheap thats the only reason i bought it (like 5 bucks, dont ask how i got it that cheap, its complicated), but yea i put it in, had to modify the back a little to fit the engine, but i dont know if ill get the same speed or more, if the same, how i can i beef up the engine?? new speed control?
Old 03-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The Titan 550 should be a but faster than your Photon stocker. Once you decide that you need more power and runtime, check this out, can't beat it with a stick.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-35a-...tem-combo.html
Old 03-31-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by burnineyes
The Titan 550 should be a but faster than your Photon stocker. Once you decide that you need more power and runtime, check this out, can't beat it with a stick.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-35a-...tem-combo.html
well since i kinda spent alot of my money ill have to buy it later this week or something, but its weird, i know the titan is faster, but when i use it on the evader ST with the stock speed control it seems slower then the photon, even when the batteries are fully charge

and im also going to need a adapter for the combo, for my NiMH batteries

Last edited by paintballer4lfe; 03-31-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

you probably need a bigger pinion gear. if you put it on pavement and make sure the slipper and ball-diff (if you have one) are tightened properly it should be able to do a wheely or close to it. go up 2-4 teeth on pinion or go down 6-10 teeth on spur. check to make sure your motor can move enough back if you go larger pinion and move forward if you go smaller spur. and in case you dont know, you should be able to hold one gear and feel a wiggle in the other but you should not be able to see the wiggle. if you see the wiggle you need to get the gears closer together, but they of course should spin smoothly/freely.

i have seen the EZ-run system and it is a good deal but i havent had much experience. i worked in a hobbyshop and am used to dealing with american brands. i think the manual on the ez-run was not the best but im sure there are lots of people on these forums that can help you with it if you go that way. i know castle creations has good customer service.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Rookie

you probably need a bigger pinion gear. if you put it on pavement and make sure the slipper and ball-diff (if you have one) are tightened properly it should be able to do a wheely or close to it. go up 2-4 teeth on pinion or go down 6-10 teeth on spur. check to make sure your motor can move enough back if you go larger pinion and move forward if you go smaller spur. and in case you dont know, you should be able to hold one gear and feel a wiggle in the other but you should not be able to see the wiggle. if you see the wiggle you need to get the gears closer together, but they of course should spin smoothly/freely.

i have seen the EZ-run system and it is a good deal but i havent had much experience. i worked in a hobbyshop and am used to dealing with american brands. i think the manual on the ez-run was not the best but im sure there are lots of people on these forums that can help you with it if you go that way. i know castle creations has good customer service.
you know if that website has the NiMH adapters for the speed control?
Old 03-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Not sure what you mean by Nimh adapters....I assume you mean your connectors. If so, you are much better off removing your old connector and updating to a Deans or Traxxas plug. I also agree that unless your Titan is worn, it should be faster than your stock motor. Being as it is a larger motor it will need a larger pinion to achieve more top speed.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by burnineyes
Not sure what you mean by Nimh adapters....I assume you mean your connectors. If so, you are much better off removing your old connector and updating to a Deans or Traxxas plug. I also agree that unless your Titan is worn, it should be faster than your stock motor. Being as it is a larger motor it will need a larger pinion to achieve more top speed.
how can i word this (i dont realy know much about advanced stuff), the connection between the speed controller and my battery pack, i've got the square ones mullex i think its called. and i do understand that i need a bigger pinion, it doesnt get warm, im going to buy the EZRUN combo, but i will need a link to the adapter for my batteries (i cant afford new batteries and new charger) and i also need to know if i need a bigger pinion for the combo motor if yes, how big?? i have the stock evader ST pinion.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:29 PM
Tech Regular

with any brushless system its wise to change battery and speed control plugs to something good like deans or traxxas. im not sure about ezrun but many brushless combos do not include any plug on the speed control and you choose your own. it is not advisable to use an adapter anywhere except when charging because that connection is not has high "stress"/current/heat. i dont know if a you have a hobby shop near you but they should be able to change plugs out for you if you are not able to solder them yourself. fyi traxxas plugs are easier to assemble if you decide to solder plugs yourself. plus traxxas makes a premade molex (aka tamiya) plug to traxxas plug adapter. http://www.buytraxxas.com/product_in...oducts_id=2802
Old 03-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Tech Rookie

with any brushless system its wise to change battery and speed control plugs to something good like deans or traxxas. im not sure about ezrun but many brushless combos do not include any plug on the speed control and you choose your own. it is not advisable to use an adapter anywhere except when charging because that connection is not has high "stress"/current/heat. i dont know if a you have a hobby shop near you but they should be able to change plugs out for you if you are not able to solder them yourself. fyi traxxas plugs are easier to assemble if you decide to solder plugs yourself. plus traxxas makes a premade molex (aka tamiya) plug to traxxas plug adapter. http://www.buytraxxas.com/product_in...oducts_id=2802
yea thats actually what i was looking for, im going to go to my local hobby store and see if hes got one