tire warmers?

Old 04-10-2002, 04:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

tire warmers?

just want to get some details about this device.... seeing as you have different compounds, and you select your tires depending on the track temp (at least that's one of the considerations).

do tire warmers have an adjustment so you warm up your tire to the desired temperature? i don't see any on those that i've seen. does it make a difference to have it to the correct temperature?

i'm racing on three asphalt tracks, two indoors and one outdoors.... would a tire warmer benefit me in all these tracks?

thanks to all....
Old 04-10-2002, 05:56 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Depends what temp the weather is at. If it is so cold that you can feel the rubber 'hardening' then you will notice the difference benefit!! However, usually only for a very short time...ie. you don't need a few laps to warm up your tires. They will not compensate for running the wrong temp tires!!

Price would go up significantly if they added temp control to them....I think the Japanese are now getting into temp control for their tire warmers!!
Old 04-10-2002, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Tire Warmers

I have never used tire warmers on asphalt, only on carpet. I do not really see where you would benefit from using tire warmers on asphalt, especially outdoors. If you raced on carpet then I would definetly recommend them. They do not have tempature controls on them, you just put them on your tires a little bit before your race heat them up and then apply tire compound and let it soak into the warm tire then wipe off the excess.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:06 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Crash- Doesn't your warmer seriously smell of traction compound!!!???
Old 04-10-2002, 06:07 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Ah sorry...I re-read your post...warmers first....sauce later!!!!
Old 04-10-2002, 06:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

dtm... i was also thinking of that, that your tires will be 'hooked-up' from the get-go. i'm in the philippines, btw... tropics... and currently summer.... temperature is blistering hot.... think tire warmers will be beneficial? or just additional mental warfare? (ooooohhhh, guy's using tire warmers... must be serious.... must be a good racer hehehe)

crash, is that your preference or just what you've heard? tire warmers applicable for carpet only? never raced on carpet before, isn't it you use foams on carpet? or also special rubber compound tires?

thanks for the replies...
Old 04-10-2002, 06:12 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

We normally worry about the tires overheating during a run over here!!!!! The warmers stay well in their boxes during 364 days of the year....and has an annual outing when it gets to 5 degs!!!

Although Crash's comment about putting traction compound on 'warm' tires seem interesting and worth trying!!!
Old 04-10-2002, 06:22 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

CRASH: Well last year I got to see the definite benefits to having tire warmers on asphalt. Later on in the season, at Mike's R/C, we raced on Sat. night. As the season moved on, it got cooler and cooler. As things really got cool, Mike was able to really do a number on the rest of us because he had tire warmers. He would start the race and stretch a huge lead while the rest of us were sliding around waiting for the tire to warm up a little.

He powered the warmers off of his power supply to get the most heat out of them and he put traction compound on the tires before he put on the warmers. The tires were very warm to touch after he took them off, almost hot. That was the only time I actually wished I had some tire warmers. They worked so well in that situation.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

integy has a new temp controled tire warmer $89

here in CO we use warmers early in the season for asphalt racing. our season starts in April and some days if it is cloudy the tires take amost 2 minnutes to warm up from just running on the track, warmers give you a big advantage
Old 04-10-2002, 08:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

that's sweet.... i'd love to get my hands on one of those, if only for display... however, the LHS here has the trinity warmers, and none of the integy stuff....

hey newracer! i knew i owed someone here, just came from an out of town trip last weekend... when i came back, i forgot what it was i was supposed to send... your avatar reminded me! you have PM!
Old 04-10-2002, 09:32 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by newracer
integy has a new temp controled tire warmer $89

here in CO we use warmers early in the season for asphalt racing. our season starts in April and some days if it is cloudy the tires take amost 2 minnutes to warm up from just running on the track, warmers give you a big advantage
Yes...that was what I saw in the Japanese mag.....doesn't help that I can't read Japanese!!!!
Old 04-10-2002, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Too cool! That should send the other racers running when you drop that tire warmer setup on your pit table!
Old 04-10-2002, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

Talking

Those are cool, but it should have adjustable straps instead of one set size. What about my F1 tires?!
Old 04-10-2002, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

But F1 is dead! ha! Come on Potato, we don't need tire warmers to be fast in our F1 cars.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:28 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Potato
Those are cool, but it should have adjustable straps instead of one set size. What about my F1 tires?!
They look like metal cups....just think you can keep your tea warm during those cold winter days!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.