R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-18-2002, 10:55 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Battery Zapper

Hi, I'm interested for making a battery Zapper. Does anyone knows what is the output voltage, amp, and the timing for zapping process? Any other advise? Thanks
smash123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 12:40 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to JesseT

I think the most common way these devices operate, is that they have a huge capacitor that is discharged to the cell. In other words, the cell is completely empty and then it is "charged" by a massive current pulse. The voltage is usually from 40 to 90 V. The timing and the current are then defined by the cells internal resistance and the capacitors capacitance. The capacitance is usually from 5 mF up. The current pulse can be as high as several hundreds up amps. This means that no mechanical switch can be used because the contacts will weld together. The most common approach to get over this is to use a thyristor (americans call it a SCR). This is basically a voltage controlled diode that is most often used with large electric motors to trigger (pulse) current to the windings.

BR/ JesseT
JesseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 05:43 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Default whats is a battery zapper?

what is a battery zapper?

what does it do?

how do u use it?

hope u guys dont mind me askin.......

saw 1 Xipp brand....and i wanna try it out?

thanks
GriMLoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 06:56 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Default zapper

i've used a Xipp DCX3000 zapper from integy. it really woke up my packs but it needed some maintaince right out of the box. the solder connections on the wiring harness were weak & hanging by a thread (i re-attached), the solder joint for the battery contacts were bad (i cleaned and re-soldered) & the firing mechanism was difficult to use (needed some lube). the other complaint is that if your packs have trinity zero-loss connector on them they will have to be removed cause the engineers didn't leave enough clearance. the theory works well & after some tweaks the zapper helped my packs but integy should be ashamed! if i had received battery packs from them with solder joints as crappy as the ones in the zapper, i'd be pissed
hyperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 07:13 PM   #5
AO
Tech Addict

Does the battery need to be zapped often??? Or once life time.
AO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 08:23 PM   #6
Tech Adept

hyperformance: Do you know the ourput voltage, amp and the timing for your zapper? Thanks
smash123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 09:48 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Default zapper

AO: you can run batteries forever without zapping them, or you can zap them occasionally. so far i've done my packs twice this season (all most over). the idea is that shoving big voltage in to the cells will breakup cemical residue & lower the internal resistance of the cell, this in turn will allow the cells to produce increased voltage. it works, the first time i used it i did some pana 3000s, the pack (6 cells) gained 1volt after zapping.

SMASH: the zapper we use is adjustable in voltage, 30v- 90v. the amperage i do not know, i wouldn't recomend putting a multimeter in between it and a cell to measure amperage, i'd bet the meter would get toasted. the only why you MAY BE ABLE to measure the amperage is with a "clamp-on" amp meter, they are used for high amperage situations, still i'm not confident this would work (AKA, i ain't trying it). 90volts, a meter, and a single sub-c cell could get dangerous quick! as for the timing, the zapper dumps the voltage to the cell within a few milliseconds. it basiclly connects a large, charged capacitor to a single cell at the flip of a switch. it's pretty serious stuff, if you don't get the contacts just right you'll know it in a hurry, it arcs voltage like lighting & sounds like a handgun firing, you're left with a blackened half-zapped cell.
hyperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 06:02 AM   #8
Tech Adept

so does these things work? anybody has it?

it was designed to zap the formed crystals on those dead nicds so that it'll work again, how does it work on nimhs?

since its a temporary fix, can you keep zapping the nicds so it goes on and on? would be great to have batts that lasts almost forever
versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 07:35 AM   #9
Tech Adept

You need to remember that each time you Zap you loose a little bit of capacity thus after a while you are trading voltage for run time not a problem if you are running stock but in mod it could be a different story
Bosscat is offline   Reply With Quote