R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   How much power and speed will I gain? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/382773-how-much-power-speed-will-i-gain.html)

The Pope NJ 03-23-2010 05:39 PM

How much power and speed will I gain?

Switching from brushed stock motor with tazer esc in my 12r5.1 to a lrp x12 17.5 w/ tekin rs esc. How much power and speed should I gain.

AreCee 03-23-2010 06:19 PM

Depends on the wind of the brushed motor. If it was a decent 19 turn then you may not see a big difference.

If you crank up the timing of the RS you should approach the performance of a 13.5 with a Novak GTB. This also will depend on the gearing and the track. It's all relative but a good brushless setup will require less maintenance than a good brushed setup.

The Pope NJ 03-23-2010 06:21 PM

Was a 30 dollar motor think 27 turn. Yokomo wind or something

AreCee 03-23-2010 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Pope NJ (Post 7177059)
Was a 30 dollar motor think 27 turn. Yokomo wind or something

Maybe a little better. Maybe not, depends on your set up. A good 27 stock motor is equivalent to a 17.5 BL.

Yokomo is the can or type of can.

The Pope NJ 03-23-2010 06:48 PM

Well it is dirt slow now so I hope it gets better.

Dane 03-23-2010 06:51 PM

That motor and ESC should dominate anything out there right now if setup properly. Find someone who knows what they are doing before you discount it.

The Pope NJ 03-23-2010 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dane (Post 7177228)
That motor and ESC should dominate anything out there right now if setup properly. Find someone who knows what they are doing before you discount it.

Which one the brushed or brushless?

TheFcuddy 03-23-2010 07:19 PM

Do you have Hotwire? If you don't, you need one. I run the RS in my 1/10 stuff and it's ridiculous. As was stated earlier, a 17.5 is more like a 13.5 with the RS. I went from a 10.5 in my mod truck to 13.5 because it improved performance so much. It won't be butt slow anymore.

oeoeo327 03-23-2010 07:28 PM

The brushless setup should trounce the brushed equipment once you find the sweet spot for gearing, motor timing and ESC settings. While I don't have a lot of experience with the LRP motor, I've heard that the x12 likes lower timing and higher gear ratios when compared to other motors using an RS ESC. What timing settings, ESC firmware and gear ratio are you using now? How about track size/layout? Maybe some of us can get you pointed in the right direction if we have some specific information to work with.:)

The Pope NJ 03-23-2010 07:40 PM

It is going in my 12r5.1. I race on a small tight track. What else do you need to know. I don't know what info you would need.

oeoeo327 03-23-2010 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Pope NJ (Post 7177492)
It is going in my 12r5.1. I race on a small tight track. What else do you need to know. I don't know what info you would need.

Well, we'd need to know things like:

-Spur/Pinion sizes
-Approximate length of the longest straightaway
-Motor timing
-ESC Firmware being used (if you haven't updated the ESC yet using the Hotwire, you're using v1.80. If that's the case, you'll definitely need a Hotwire interface and the V2.03 software download to update the ESC before you'll see the maximum benefit from your equipment).

Once you get that information for us, we'll be able to get you up to speed.

timmig 03-23-2010 08:01 PM

The RS will be "night and day" better!!!! There are a lot of things that esc can do that you couldn't do before. Get with someone that KNOWS the hotwire and RS setups--you'll be AMAZED!!
T

The Pope NJ 03-24-2010 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by oeoeo327 (Post 7177600)
Well, we'd need to know tihngs like:

-Spur/Pinion sizes
-Approximate length of the longest straightaway
-Motor timing
-ESC Firmware being used (if you haven't updated the ESC yet using the Hotwire, you're using v1.80. If that's the case, you'll definitely need a Hotwire interface and the V2.03 software download to update the ESC before you'll see the maximum benefit from your equipment).

Once you get that information for us, we'll be able to get you up to speed.

I haven't deceided on spur/pinion size have to see what others are running.
Right now the only two straight parts are at most 20 feet
I haven't gotten the motor and esc yet it is on a brown truck somewhere so I have nothing as far as settings. I do have a hotwire with vages 2.

A few of the guys at the track are running it so I should be able to copy what they are using and stat there.